Help with my Begode extreme

qluv

I recently bought a begode extreme and it just cut off on me when I was doing about 15km/hr. I was just testing it and was only wearing a helmet.  Long story short I sustained some injuries that put me out of work for 2weeks. As of now the begode extreme wheel only has about 1.8km so that mean I only rode it less 700m. It was able to survive the crash but my only problem is that it's not charging now. I checked for loose connections and everything seems to be good. It turns on, balances etc. It actually charges to and it would go from 80% to 90% and then after about 5min it stops charging and then goes back to 80%. Batteries seem to be working and good condition.  Please help 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

This wheel has a smart bms doesn't it? Check the app.

You can use the wheel (slowly) with only one side's pack if one needs to be fixed.

Maybe a fuse blew? The temperature is of interest. Some wheels overheat without high motor output.

Also, on my gotway after many km the bolts on the mosfets vibrated loose. So if it reports an unusually cool temp it could mean there's a problem with heat not getting to the heatsink, fan not turning on when it should etc.

• Like 1

Thanks I really appreciate it. When I got the wheel it only had about 80% and I charged it up 90% or something.  I didn't really pay attention to that and was just too excited to go take it for a ride and test it. Now come to think of it I don't know if it was a coincidence that it only had 80% and that I was only able to charge it to 90%. I will try to switch the batteries. I reached out to the EUCdeals and told them the situation and that there was a cutout in within less that 800m of using the wheel. I only rode it for about 2mins or less. I suffered broken ankle, bleeding everywhere on my hand and laceration above my lip and neck and hip. They said we are sorry this happened to you. But as you know you bought a one wheel vehicle,  cut outs are common and will happen. Try to check for loose connections lol. I replied them again with my battery problem and haven't heard anything since then. Usually they would reply within 24hrs but now it's a few days. That's why I'm try the forum. I don't see how a New wheel with less that 2kms and 90% battery can just cut out like that. And now the wheel is damaged physically too and battery not charging but I guess that's somehow my fault. Missed 2 weeks of work and still can barely walk 

Try to get well first. The wheel is just a machine with parts that can be replaced. I wouldn't worry about it.

Since you're waiting maybe throw Begode an email about the charging problem, not the accident. 

Maybe they're just intimidated by the accident, and that's why they're slow to reply. These companies aren't huge and they're struggling too you know.

Personally I'd try to charge the left side only if you don't get a reply soon. 

What I'm not too crazy about design wise is that there's a power distribution board in these newer wheels. Who knows what this distribution board can do? Cut power if one pack is acting weird or whatever. Fail to charge one pack but charge the other. It adds complexity to failsearching.

10 minutes ago, qluv said:

They said we are sorry this happened to you. But as you know you bought a one wheel vehicle,  cut outs are common and will happen.

That is total BS. I have had 3 different EUC's (KS14D, V10F, Z10) and I have never ever had that kind of a cut out. I only get cut out's at like 1/4 km/hr while riding in circles. They should replace your wheel, at least. I pray that you have a complete recovery.

Thanks a lot. I will definitely try a different approach and hopefully try to get it resolved.  I only had less than 2min ride on the thing. It sucks that I waited more than a month for it...

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. People say please don't ride it again but only EUC riders know the thrill and fun we get from it. Stay blessed.  Will give an update soon  

If I ever ride a Begode I will be very leary and distrustful of the wheel at first. At least, knowing how prone they can be to accidents, we should do free wheel spin tests. I will forever be extra cautious of Begode. I'm upset at Begode because they are taking advantage of a grey area by not replacing your wheel or your batteries.

I have 6 wheels and had two failures. One on Inmotion and one on Gotway(Begode). The Gotway failure was easier to figure out and to avoid from happening again. The Inmotion one was more of a mystery. There was no damage to any components. "Ghost in the machine" sort of thing.

So I'm in that minority of riders that prefers Gotways(Begode) for safety. However, as mentioned, I'm not crazy about the increased complexity (fuses, power distribution board, more failure points)

And I only buy wheels with a few thousand km on the odometer. It means it passed the first longevity test.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

And I only buy wheels with a few thousand km on the odometer. It means it passed the first longevity test.

That's wisdom, I think a wheel with like 300km is worth a couple hundred more than a brand new wheel from factory.

• Like 2

Yes that's definitely wisdom.  I had a v11 before and never had a problem with it....

I just spoke to Milli Begode and explained my situation. He promised me he will contact his engineer and get back to me. Would be curious to see what Begode decides to do or an I just out of thousands of dollars.  And Missing about 3weeks or more of work plus the pain I endured. I'm now curious to know if all wheels only gets shipped with 100% battery or 80% because mine came with 80% and it seems to be stuck at that number . I was able to charge it to 90% before but didn't think too much into it at first 

If they sold it through a reseller they'll likely redirect you to them. But if you tell them you're not getting any help then they might help you. However it won't be proper warranty but simply support, and they can choose to give it or not. So I suggest to ask nicely and not elbow your way to anything.

They've been kind to me with stuff way past any warranty period. They inspected a control board and made a repair attempt by changing parts. In the end I got it fixed elsewhere but Begode didn't ask me for anything for their time and new components.

The wait time is long for any replacement parts so what you really need is a confirmation of what the problem is. Otherwise you'll be replacing again and again, waiting a very long time.

**UPDATE**

so i spoke to Begode and they think the problem is with the charging board.  They are sending a replacement one and I guess I will see if that solves the problem.  But if that's the problem then I'm disappointed in it as I only charged for less that 10mins in total on that new euc

• Like 1

I'm happy for you that Begode is working with you to fix your electric unicycle. I'm still upset that you got hurt on your brand new wheel just because you were over excited to try it out. 15km/hr is quite slow to break your ankle and Begode should have better quality control. If I was a dealer here in town and I sold a local a Begode wheel and an older man broke his ankle due to a defect, then I know just saying "you knew it was risky" isn't going to fly. I would go out of business over it. If I emphasized the risk involved with the fires, the hospital stays, an the lack of accountability people would never buy.

Edited by earthtwin
typo

**UPDATE**

I received the new charging board,  changed it and still same issue.  My battery is now at 70% . Lost about 20% since I received it a few weeks ago. EUC still only has 2kms on it.... 

This is so frustrating.  Is it normal for the EUC to lose about 10% battery life in 2weeks while in storage? That means if I don't use it 2 months I might loss roughly 40% battery life?

33 minutes ago, qluv said:

I received the new charging board,  changed it and still same issue.

Did you attempt recharging while the front packs are disconnected? 
(Please follow this procedure carefully and be sure not to reconnect packs unless their voltages are tested equal.)

On 3/25/2021 at 6:41 AM, Chriull said:

If the charger and the connectivity is ok there is another "easy" test if your wheel has two battery packs. *except Veteran-Leaperkim
After this following test do not plug in both batteries again if they have different voltages!
Chances are high that only one of these packs is degraded and the other one still working fine. So _fully_ unplug one battery pack and charge by this only the other one. Note if the final battery voltage after a full charge changed? After this _fully_ unplug this charged battery and plug in the other battery pack. Now charge these pack. With some luck one of these packs charges nicely and only one pack is bad and has to be replaced.

33 minutes ago, qluv said:

Is it normal for the EUC to lose about 10% battery life in 2weeks while in storage?

No. But, it probably didn't. 
Cell voltage will be settling for at least an hour after disconnecting the charger. So to evaluate storage drain: charge, disconnect, wait ~6hr, then record the voltage. Then store and monitor.

Edited by RagingGrandpa

2 hours ago, qluv said:

**UPDATE**

I received the new charging board,  changed it and still same issue.  My battery is now at 70% . Lost about 20% since I received it a few weeks ago. EUC still only has 2kms on it.... 

This is so frustrating.  Is it normal for the EUC to lose about 10% battery life in 2weeks while in storage? That means if I don't use it 2 months I might loss roughly 40% battery life?

This (outside the context of your crash) is not as bad a thing as you may imagine. Although most people would prefer it didn't happen, it's actually much better for batteries to be long-term stored at a lower voltage - 3.2 v per cell is an ideal storage charge, and the charge boards do seem to slow down leakage as they approach that level. However, Begode have never confirmed or denied when asked whether the voltage drop over time is a bug or a feature, only that this was not the problem that was the reason they reissued those charge boards, but again, they are very nebulous about  telling us what the actual reason is !

My Master's new charge board does the same thing, but the only consequence for me is that I have to pop it on charge again 10 mins before a ride to bump it up to max voltage again - it's a pain but a rather minor one, and often I don't bother, given that the range of that machine is about 10 times what I need anyway ! Of course if you ride nearly every day the voltage drop overnight is very minimal.

Edited by Cerbera