Armored Branded Hoodies

• 4 weeks later...

I've never seen the appeal of armoured hoodies, I can't see them sliding as well as say a textile (or even better, leather) MC jacket. Also MC jackets are generally more 'fitted' which provides less chance of the armour slipping around. I do like the casual, discreet look of hoodies though, and for sure they are a lot better than nothing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

I've never seen the appeal of armoured hoodies, I can't see them sliding as well as say a textile (or even better, leather) MC jacket. Also MC jackets are generally more 'fitted' which provides less chance of the armour slipping around. I do like the casual, discreet look of hoodies though, and for sure they are a lot better than nothing.

I have one. I rationalize it by pretending that by wadding up the hood between my helmet and my backpack, it simulates having some neck protection, lol.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

My understanding is they came from the skate scene where full body movement is more important than something fitted like motorcycle/motocross gear. It’s something in between full gear and nothing. The anti abrasion layer would be much better then regular cotton. I’d be concerned about the pads shifting like you mentioned. I wear a textile motorcycle jacket with D30 pads. It’s done me well a few times now. I throw separate fitted elbow pads under that if I’m going to push things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

My understanding is they came from the skate scene where full body movement is more important than something fitted

Yeah that makes sense. The hoodies would be comfier as a result too I guess. I actually do have a 'casual' MC jacket too but I never wear it because I can grab the elbow armour and move it around my arm to the point where the elbow is uncovered so its pointless. Not saying the hoodies are as bad but ultimately the more fitted a garment is the better the armour will stay in place. Look at something like a properly sized MC one piece leather suit and the pads are impossible to move out of place!

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I wear a textile motorcycle jacket with D30 pads. It’s done me well a few times now. I throw separate fitted elbow pads under that if I’m going to push things. 

I'm surprised you can get any extra pads under an MC jacket, no chance of doing that with mine, I can barely get a thick jumper on under mine! But I do feel very safe wearing it (apart from the ever present risk of broken collar bone of course..!)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm not keen on the hoodies idea much either. For most of the year I'm very with happy with general outdoor coat over the top of Leatt Bodysuit. Everything up there stays rigidly put, and the coat further holds it in place and keeps weather off my armour. Hoodie seems pointless not only because it is so loose and floppy, but mainly because we never wear the hoods - we're all wearing helmets aren't we?!

I suppose I see the point if you're a racing team and want  custom graphics / team logos etc, but even then I'd just print T-shirts big enough to go over armour, which are bound to be cheaper than hoodies...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

I think high speed riding, yes, I would rather have more fitted armor. Slower speeds where a fall is more topple than skidding battering ram, armored hoodie seems perfect. Again, I am not too into them but a branded one with say a school or team, would be more appealing than the same style jacket on every other YouTuber. I’m all for community support but toss out a few more designs.