can I check in Unicycle in flight luggage ?

enventlogic

Hi, I am travelling to China as a tourist in November end. Wanted to know if I can buy a unicycle off the shelf in any retail showroom ? Also want to know for sure, if I can carry the Univycle as a checked in luggage on the flight ?

Will appreciate a quick reply from any members here. Thanks

Where in China are you going?  I only know about the retail stores in Shenzhen where you can just buy them off the shelf.  As for checking it in on flights, I believe there are certain battery capacity restrictions.  Somebody else can answer this.

Hello Admin : Icannot speak Chineses or Mandarin.

Hi Austin : I can procure Chinese Visas from my country....so that is not a problem.

Is buying from a retail showroom in Hongkong an option ??

I had emailed a retailer in Shenzhen and he informed me that checking in the electric unicycle in an aircraft is not allowed by the airlines. So I guess i will have to ship it seperately.

If you're in Shanghai I can show you Airwheel, Firewheel, Rockwheel, IPS and soon the Ninebot. I'm also exporting.

The regulation regarding Lithium batteries applies for all passenger and cargo airplanes:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/lithium-batteries.aspx

In a nutshell wheels below 100Wh battery can be taken as hand-luggage. All other wheels need registration and authorization from the airline. I heard of customers just arriving with their Ewheel and checking in without problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to fly from San Francisco, California to Mexico with my Solowheel as my carry on, while I also had a backpack as a personal bag.  The Solowheel went into the overhead bin.  I flew United Airlines.  I cleared USA TSA with no issues.  They didn't even ask me about it.  I was delayed in Mexican customs coming into Mexico as they asked questions about my Solowheel. I was worried until I realized they were fans.  They asked me to show them how it works, how much it costs, and demonstrate riding it.  They've never seen anything like it and were excited to see it.

On the way back, I was not detained at all.  The Mexican "TSA" held the wheel after the xray machine for about 15 seconds before shoving it back on the belt to release to me.  Nobody actually asked me about it.  In Mexico, I was able to ride my Solowheel all throughout the hotel grounds.  Most of the nicers hotels have seen Segways and you can definitely do all the the hotel ground paths as they are friendly to wheeled vehicles (such as their own golf cart transport vehicles). 

I'm no longer afraid to fly to Mexico with my Solowheel.  My Solowheel battery pack is well under the maximum size limit for air travel. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/21/2014 at 11:50 AM, GQS said:

I was able to fly from San Francisco, California to Mexico with my Solowheel as my carry on, while I also had a backpack as a personal bag.  The Solowheel went into the overhead bin.  I flew United Airlines.  I cleared USA TSA with no issues.  They didn't even ask me about it.  I was delayed in Mexican customs coming into Mexico as they asked questions about my Solowheel. I was worried until I realized they were fans.  They asked me to show them how it works, how much it costs, and demonstrate riding it.  They've never seen anything like it and were excited to see it.

On the way back, I was not detained at all.  The Mexican "TSA" held the wheel after the xray machine for about 15 seconds before shoving it back on the belt to release to me.  Nobody actually asked me about it.  In Mexico, I was able to ride my Solowheel all throughout the hotel grounds.  Most of the nicers hotels have seen Segways and you can definitely do all the the hotel ground paths as they are friendly to wheeled vehicles (such as their own golf cart transport vehicles). 

I'm no longer afraid to fly to Mexico with my Solowheel.  My Solowheel battery pack is well under the maximum size limit for air travel. 

So basically you do not need any special license or anything to use an electric unicycle? Because i am going to mexico and i plan to use it in tourist spots and i do not want trouble with the local law

11 hours ago, ÜberSoldaten said:

So basically you do not need any special license or anything to use an electric unicycle? Because i am going to mexico and i plan to use it in tourist spots and i do not want trouble with the local law

That post was from 2014. I don't think any airline lets you travel with an EUC, hoverboard, etc in 2017, even if they don't have batteries installed. Too many incidents with lithium ion batteries. Whether you need a license or other authorization depends on the country, you would have to look up the laws for Mexico. 

Archived