older riders topic on prescription drugs for high blood pressure

Bob Eisenman

So....quite awhile ago my doctor put me on a high blood pressure med. I found that during the summer my vision was prone to being affected for brief periods (some while moving on the euc while riding after a mount), periodic dizziness (especially changing position rapidly from seated to standing) and mild nasea. I said to my doctor that they would not like the drugs side effects either. We stopped the drug and tried diuretics for awhile. After a time the blood pressure seemed not veryy effected. The doctor said strongly ' have you been taking the med each day'? I convinced the doctor that I'd faithfully taken the drug. On another visit the assistanat took an in office blood pressure of 180 which caused some alarms. The physician assistant seen on the follow up visit measured a BP of 160 and prescribed a calcium channel blocker. You're blood pressure will come down in no time the PA said. I started the calcium channel blocker and within 2 days the BP was down to 120 or so. The first day on the drug I went to the library and felt really fatigued (a side effect) and walked back out of the building later a few hundred feet at a time, resting for intervals. Mornings, immediately following the drug dose became groggy episodes with nodding of to sleep again a temptation. I contacted the doctors office and asked if taking the drug (which starts working in an hour and is time releaased for day long pharmaceutical effect) at night might be ok. I would be sleeping in the hoiurs when I might feel most groggy and still get the benefit of long acting release. The doctors office gave the approval for taking the calcium channel blocker befor bed. 

Weeks went by without much in terms of side effect. Then I recently took a long walk on a hot summer day to make a Mapillry photo post.

https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=833510051635645

I ended the Mapillary photo session a few blocks from Starbucks coffee and entered the building from the bright daylight to order a iced coffee. The clerk to my order. I looked down for the papad with debit card in hand. I could'nt see the paypad and and my hand and card were not seen in the field of view. I thought I was having a mini 'Mitch McComnnel' moment before the thought that the calcium channel blocker was temporarily affecting my vision came to mind. A few seconds later things came back into view, I paid the bill and no one seemed to notice my temporary issue as I stood motionless wondering.

As a precaution I used a messaging app to contact my doctors office. Someone responded the next day. We decided it was the change from bright light to dimmer light. She asked if I wanted to come in for a visit which I declined although they have a standard proceedure for approaching side effects from cacium channel blockers.

Keeping one's blood pressure under control in terms of heart and kidney health is important so the drugs side effect are beneficial to the patient who might be at risk of heart attack or kidney failure without the drug.

I don't especially like being on the drug but I take my doctors concern seriously.

Calcium ion transport is a widely used cell mechanism and drugs frequently effect other 'non target' processes. For example I can use a bit less long acting insulin now, apparently because of the calcium channel blocker.

48 here, that might be in my future too. I recently had a doctoor's appointment and she said my blood pressure was 160/100 - too high. I may have to start doing cardio, and lose some weight.

The Evolution of Obesity Prevalence in the United States, 1960-2004 |  Download Scientific Diagram

What changed in 1970's? US government recommended high carb low fat diet. The government pretends the cause is unknown, while Coca Cola and pharmaceutical industries are making money like crazy.

The solution is the inverse - high fat low carb. Try keto or carnivore diet and remove gluten and vegetable oils. In 9 out of 10 cases you won't need blood pressure medications.

@mhpr262Cardio is a terrible way to lose weight. Exercise stimulates the appetite and starving yourself leads to binging.
Can you do it? If you have an iron willpower, maybe... But you definitely won't feel well afterwards. It's not a healthy way to lose weight.

We didn't evolve to eat breads/pastas/vegetable oils/potatoes/rice/... so our bodies malfunction when fed junk. Stopping eating junk is the correct way to fix health. :D

Edited by atdlzpae

• 4 weeks later...

As a physician I can tell you this: after the past 3-1/2 years I have ZERO trust in ANYTHING coming from "medical establishment" which has been utterly corrupted by Pharma.  As to specific suggestions, as noted limiting carbs helps some people.  Time restricted feeding - do all your eating in 6-8 hrs per day helps. 

Now the idea that endurance training doesn't help lose weight ... is idiotic!  As a former distance runner, and subsequently a high-level mountain bike racer (also did some road races and many centuries, etc) I can absolutely assure you that endurance training helps with weight, blood pressure, and glucose control.  HOWEVER, strength training is also needed - especially because of the loss of lean muscle mass with age.  Flexibility & core training need to be included as well.  I struggle with joints that either are worn out (had to have an ankle fusion 3 yrs ago; had a joint replacement in my hand - literally wore out my left thumb forcibly upshifting mountain bikes for years), but maintain about 10% bodyfat & can still do a goodly number of pullups while working out.  It CAN be done, but it takes effort & commitment.

This past week I had a long discussion with a patient about his SLOW progress in curing his Type II diabetes.  Until you destroy your pancreas, it can be CURED but most are not willing to make the lifestyle changes.  People would rather take a pill, when they need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!

Finally - medicine has been corrupted to the point that NOTHING "works" once it is off patent and cheap.  Amazing how that works ...

• Like 2

@OldSolo Same. I saw problems before, for example that official guidelines for diabetics are basically "stuff your face with carbs all day" instead of "eat protein and fat"... But back then I just thought that "these people are greedy".

All 3 aspects of 2020-2022 (lockdowns, treatment, vaccines) made me change my mind towards "these people are psychopaths and don't care at all how many millions they kill or make homeless".

@Bob Eisenman As I already said, eat keto, ditch vegetable oils and remove processed food. Almost guaranteed that your blood pressure will drop to normal.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:29 AM, OldSolo said:

look at the evergreening of Diovan with entresto.  look at the LIFE clinical trial

https://classic.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02816736

direct comparison entresto to valsartan, check out secondary outcome, "composite endpoint of effects"..... days alive, days out of the hospital.

generic valsartan beats out expensive patented entresto (evergreened diovan).

why did the FDA declare it a "breakthrough" ?

• 2 months later...