EUC Veteran patton suspension (preload sag rebound compresion)

DjPanJan

Please share you patton suspension settings. I make this for post to help new patton/sherman riders understand how suspension work and place where i share best sources what i find.

I am Heavy person 120+ Kg (geared) only logical choice for me was 66Lbs spring.

After unpacking i make first ride with default suspension factory setup:

my patton default was:

preload = 0 (gold screw on top touching rebound selector)

rebound = 9 clics (9/18)

compresion = 9 clics (9/18)

Suspension work but not good i feel i am too heavy for this setup.

First what i need change is preload i made this solution to find how big sag is in numbers is 0=empty EUC 1cm every step.

20230810_002239.thumb.jpg.a173eee6e7da4f655dd0c0165bb62257.jpg

After jump on 3x pump and stabilise my sag = over 4Cm = 50% sag catastrophic scenario.

I start play/change preload with 18mm tool and discover this(both preload and compresion full anti clocwise).

For 90Kg person preload must be in HALF = 3 gold ring visible for ideal sag under 30% =2,5Cm sag

For 120+ person preload is screw full inside suspension.(maximujm posible)

this result to 3cm sag = 38% not ideal but maximum possible.

Important preload must be same on both suspension side !

After change i go to test ride and keep rebound and compresion full open (full anticlockwise) and goal my ride was try maximum types of surface posible grass,asphalt,gravel,stones,16th century stone pavement.

Result: Full preload + set rebound and compresion both 6 ticks to right(clockwise).

What this mean?

Every patton 66lbs rider over 85+ KG (geared) need propably  tune PRELOAD for best results with 66 lbs suspension.

Gread topic what inspired me is here:

Great video(best on YT) about setup patton + suspension what help and inspired me is here: 

• Like 2

66lb Patton, 105kg rider with gear.

Full pre-load (~30% sag).

7 Compression dampening form lowest.

9 rebound from lowest.

Suspension feels great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milordas said:

correct me if im wrong, but imo if you preload spring to max, dont you have less suspension travel? or that already counted to suspension spring travel way?

When you stand on the wheel the suspension will compress from your weight, this is called sag, optimally you want around 25-30% sag on a suspension system, with full preload I achieve around 30% sag on mine.

Less Preload: More Sag

More Preload: Less Sag

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

When you stand on the wheel the suspension will compress from your weight, this is called sag, optimally you want around 25-30% sag on a suspension system, with full preload I achieve around 30% sag on mine.

Less Preload: More Sag

More Preload: Less Sag

yes thats right, but question is different. As you preload the spring, you compress it, so distance between wires is shorter. Do full preload/spring compression giving suspension travel the same declared 80mm?

9 minutes ago, Milordas said:

yes thats right, but question is different. As you preload the spring, you compress it, so distance between wires is shorter. Do full preload/spring compression giving suspension travel the same declared 80mm?

The travel of the shock is always the same. Preload changes sag, sag affects the effective travel with your weight on the on the wheel, you don't want too much or too little sag.

• Like 1

58lbs, 120 lbs rider.

Slowest rebound or at least 1-5 clicks from the slowest.

No (ie fastest) compression damping.

Lowest preload.

-----------

At highest preload, i don't bottom out from at least 2.5-3ft jumps, depending on the compression damping i use.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:11 AM, Rawnei said:

66lb Patton, 105kg rider with gear.

Full pre-load (~30% sag).

7 Compression dampening form lowest.

9 rebound from lowest.

Suspension feels great.

Im the same BW, tried this, feels completely different from the settings it came with. More sporty, I take it lowest is S, and its 7 clicks towards the H Direction?

and rebound starting from S? 

9 hours ago, K4IZEN said:

Im the same BW, tried this, feels completely different from the settings it came with. More sporty, I take it lowest is S, and its 7 clicks towards the H Direction?

and rebound starting from S? 

I'm on vacation so I can't check markings, lowest is to the left, highest to the right.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 3:51 PM, Milordas said:

sag is result of compressed spring, the more you compress it, the stronger spring is

Oh no not this rabbit hole again! Preload does not affect the stiffness of the spring. Adding more and more preload just raises ride height.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

66lb Patton

Rider weight between approx. 230-250lbs (depending on pack or no pack)

Current settings:

-Full Preload (haven't measured sag yet, just going by feel so-far)

-Rebound is 2 clicks up from Fastest 

-Compression is 6 clicks up from Softest

Soooo much better than default settings, but likely still needs some refinement...

PSI check before every ride, current "sweet-spot" seems to be 35 PSI (has been slowly climbing).  Right now, anything >35 feels 'drifty' (different than 'squirrely'), and anything <33 feels 'sluggish'.  Seems to be noticeable differences at .5lb pressure increments in either direction.

Edited by Cyberwolf
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know you all love the feel of the suspension but my riding style wants more travel and progressive action. So I'm very excited about the possibility of swapping in the Lynx suspension as this person is attempting

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/posts/7028980613866508

Has anyone seen any other posts about this anywhere? I'd like to learn more about the feasibility.

Lynx top, Patton bottom

PattonLynxSuspension.jpg.1251d86707c3bc8eff9e5d8a4a603b41.jpg

25 minutes ago, SoleCycle said:

I know you all love the feel of the suspension but my riding style wants more travel and progressive action. So I'm very excited about the possibility of swapping in the Lynx suspension as this person is attempting

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/posts/7028980613866508

Has anyone seen any other posts about this anywhere? I'd like to learn more about the feasibility.

Lynx top, Patton bottom

PattonLynxSuspension.jpg.1251d86707c3bc8eff9e5d8a4a603b41.jpg

Well LeaperKim themselves (or rather resellers in contact with them) have stated that the Lynx suspension is not backwards compatible, on the Patton it would be impossible since Lynx suspension is 1cm longer to start with.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Well LeaperKim themselves (or rather resellers in contact with them) have stated that the Lynx suspension is not backwards compatible, on the Patton it would be impossible since Lynx suspension is 1cm longer to start with.

I don't doubt the resellers. A direct swap is probably not possible. But I'm eager to see what modification is needed to make it happen.

Looking at the comparison photo a little closer, the top end is longer on the Lynx part. The OP was saying something about modifying the seat and a fabricated part to accommodate the extra rise.