Charger stops for a split second during charging and resumes. Normal?

Glock43x

Never happened before. Kingsong 16x with fast 5amp charger. It would stop for the split second and then resume charging. 

Turned on charger without connecting to euc and it displays the correct voltage. Euc does charge to 100%.  Is the charger going bad? 

Sounds like one cell group hit the overcharge voltage limit. But that it's happening late in the charge cycle so that it's more or less normal for an aging pack.

When it happens at lower charge levels, then it's usually a bad sign. 

Does your charger make a good connection on both ends? Do you have a stable grid?

3 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Sounds like one cell group hit the overcharge voltage limit.

It shouldn’t act quite that way though. If the BMS cuts off the charge due to overvoltage, it should remain cut until the voltage gets lower. There is enough hysteresis in the thresholds for it not to happen right away.

4 hours ago, Glock43x said:

It would stop for the split second and then resume charging. 

Did this stopping and resuming happen only once, or does it do it continuously in a loop?

I think it can happen when a pack gets charged fast enough so that the bleed resistor just barely can't bleed fast enough to keep up with the charger.

But not so slow that the charger is cut off for long.

This theory does assume a fairly unbalanced pack, with overcharge protection kicking in before the constant voltage phase ~90%.

However, I have seen this happen mid charge on a balanced pack. Maybe it's a grid instability thing then.

To the OP: When during the charge cycle did it happen?

Edited by alcatraz

13 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I think it can happen when a pack gets charged fast enough so that the bleed resistor just barely can't bleed fast enough to keep up with the charger.

The bleed resistors are very tiny, and the current they pass through is something like 20mA. The charging current gets that low only after being plugged in for like an hour after the charger has turned green.

Charger overheating does sound plausible though.

Not sure what you guys mean by "grid". 16X is usually around 45% battery when I charge.  This happened about 15 mins into the charge. Doesn't happen again throughout the entire charging process. I let the battery balance every 3 charges by leaving the charging cord in for hrs after light turns green.  I always charge to 100%.

This happened twice already with my last 2 charges. Gonna charge using 3amp next time and monitor it.  My 16x only got like 2500 miles on it. battery shows 100% on app after fully charged.

i've never actually touched the charger, but when I did, i was surprised how hot it was... Not hot hot to the point where you can't hold onto it, but it is pretty hot.. Fan works and blows out hot air.

Edited by Glock43x

Grid as in power grid stability. Either that or heat perhaps. When at 45% the charger is outputting max amps = max heat.

Is the fan running? On my cheap third party charger fan doesn't come on by just connecting the cable. I need to power cycle the charger after connecting it to the wheel for the fan to kick in immediately. Like there's some resistance in the fan that needs to be overcome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 7:58 PM, alcatraz said:

Grid as in power grid stability. Either that or heat perhaps. When at 45% the charger is outputting max amps = max heat.

Is the fan running? On my cheap third party charger fan doesn't come on by just connecting the cable. I need to power cycle the charger after connecting it to the wheel for the fan to kick in immediately. Like there's some resistance in the fan that needs to be overcome.

so i tried it on 4amp and it doesn't happen. I think my surge protector has something to do with it. I will try 5amp next time without the surge protector and see..  The fan on the charger comes on automatically when I plugged it into the unicycle.

The lights on my MSX also start to turn on/off randomly if I keep the wheel on while charging. I don't think it's hardful. The lights still work normally afterwards.

Is your wheel on or off?

I suspect this might have something to do with the wheel/charger not being properly grounded.