Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

Hi everyone, how are you all doing, I hope you are doing well.

Well, I have a year on top of the KS16S wheel and I was able to get some experiences about safety that I would like to share with you so that the manufacturers can implement it as standard in the next wheels.

The problem:

This morning I was riding my wheel when suddenly it went into a very strong wobble that landed me in a fall. When investigating calmly at home, I came to the conclusion that the tire had suddenly deflated due to a failure in the pressure nozzle valve.

The solution:

In a quick web search I found a TPMS as pictured:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G4eKRXFCSnBWW-vLEkWmbwQgufVvOaFH/view?usp=sharing

It emits a signal to the receiver, which has a screen where data on temperature, pressure and battery level from the display and date/time are collected.

I'm going to buy it to better understand if there's a way for this to be managed by Android, avoiding having to carry it in my pocket to have an alarm go off in times of low tire pressure.

I believe that the communication must be done by bluetooth.

Can anyone give any suggestions?

Stay safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, francabarros said:

It's an interesting concept to monitor your tire pressure, however. I'm not sure it would have helped in the situation you described. The moment all the air left the tire due to valve stem failure that caused the wobbles, would have been the same moment your tire pressure alarm went off. Not sure how hearing the alarm during the wobbles would have helped.

6 hours ago, francabarros said:

The time to discover a flat tyre is before you start riding, not during it ideally. And if this is part of your pre-ride checks it is very unlikely indeed your valve will suddenly fail during a journey, and it will be rather obvious if it does, such that I am not sure an alarm to flag this is much practical use.

I have a similar TPMS for my motorcycle, it works really well for letting me know when I should add some air to either tyre. The product instructions specifically state that it is not suitable for rapid deflations - it just won't help for that situation.

I have seen cheaper TPMS options with no display screen, just an app so you monitor the sensors on your phone - again they are no use for rapid deflations. You could connect to the sensor and check what your pressure is before going for a ride though, kinda useful. But of course you could just connect a pump, see what the pressure is and top up if needed - the TPMS sensor is just a little less hassle.

• 3 months later...

Ali express has tons of those valve tpms systems (also internal ones), but most are for 4 wheels. I found a few for 2 wheels, but not any for 1 wheel when looking. I have a old Ali one to my car with a small cig light display. While it works for slow leaks and also show tire temp, update rate is very slow (were talking 1-2 minutes between updates). Maybe the new app based ones are better?

This one says something about display time 5s, but if that is update rate or time till first value, who knows

Motorbike tpms

What worries me is that those end caps weigh so much that they could affect life span of tubed nozzles. A car and bike had much sturdier stems and are tubeless. Euc tubes tend to... You know.. Not be that stable in the fastening point of the stem.

Edited by Boogieman