Pedal sloping vs pedal dipping

woke rider

In my pursuit of cut out worry free riding I am trying to build my confidence. Some riders might suggest to never fully trust an electric unicycle, but it seems like so many of our accidents could have been prevented by letting up on acceleration when our pedals begin to slope. If we persist in an acceleration after our pedals slope forwards, then that's how we get a cut out. I notice on my Z10 that the pedal sloping during an acceleration starts sooner with a lower charged battery. This type of euc behavior has been observed on the 14D and the V10F. I would imagine pedal sloping begins at higher speeds on the ultra powerful electric unicycles like master pro, V13, and shermans. What do you think?

Edited by earthtwin
spelling

I wonder if anyone has ever thought about that before… ;)

Some people have been able to do it, but the problem is that once the pedals go “soft”, there’s no longer a solid platform for you to change your lean angle at. It’s as if you were standing on a thin branch, you can’t lean back and forth. It’s usually already too late.

The way you change from a forward lean to a rearward lean, is to press down with your toes/balls of feet. (Try it on solid ground to see.) And when the wheel has already been overleaned, pressing down on your toes/balls of feet is The last thing you want to do. It’s the one thing you can’t do.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your kind reply @mrelwood. I have never had my pedals go soft, rather it seems like the less my batteries are charged, the more my pedals slope forward thereby limiting my speed because I only feel safe accelerating when my pedals are flat to sloping backwards.

“Soft pedals” means exactly that, pedals that slope forward during acceleration. It refers to the soft riding mode that behaves like that on purpose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 5:36 AM, mrelwood said:

Some people have been able to do it, but the problem is that once the pedals go “soft”, there’s no longer a solid platform for you to change your lean angle at. It’s as if you were standing on a thin branch, you can’t lean back and forth. It’s usually already too late.

The advisable reflex is to bend the knees (and relieve the heels) quickly and "forcefully", thereby releasing pressure on the pedals for long enough such that the wheel can recover and get back under the body. In my experience this works more often than not in pretty much any critical riding situation with the notable exception of pedal clipping.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I use crouching and rising as a method to pick up the speed without getting a forward pedal slope. Another technique that works for me to gain control and speed without getting pedal sloping forward is to apply pressures with my right toes and left heel or vice-versa left toes and right heel for better steering and picking up speed without incurring the forward pedal slope.