Did anyone try the newest S18 with hollow motor?

Guillaume_k

Yeah, upon listening again, sounds pretty bad. I own two of them, and I like them - after I did extensive work on the axle assembly/ suspension, but I wouldn’t recommend anyone buying one. Just not enough QC

Best,

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

after I did extensive work on the axle assembly/ suspension

I saw these issues of previous versions. That’s why I was hopeful about the batch I eventually got. For what it’s worth (not much) suspension was A-ok during the few rides I did. Also the axle assembly was modified as it has a hollow bore motor.

IMG_7580.thumb.jpeg.e38d424f33c12fdd0bcf747fb62185dc.jpegIMG_7579.thumb.jpeg.3fbb0753a9e0659a82db2e333fb7ecfa.jpeg

The first bit does sound like something with the tire rubbing or a vibration due to something loose to me, I don't know what to make of the high pitch noises and subsequent lack of balancing after but would indicate some problem with the controller I guess.

Edited by chanman

• 2 months later...

I have some (bad) news for you, guys.

I found this thread after my S18 started having the same symptoms after first 100km (hollow motor, gen.4, assembled 6/2023). It was very rare at the beginning, just the rattling sound when braking harder or when going over road bumps, then it became happening more often and then, when I tried harder to reproduce the issue, the electric noise happened and engine cut out for a moment. The wheel very quickly and even dangerously kicked back to set the balanced position again. That was the moment when I decided to not try my luck anymore and contacted our local retailer (Europe).

They told me that many (if not most) of the recently sold S18s came back to them having exactly the same symptoms. It appears that the hollow motor and the new main board design brought a completely new set of problems. KingSong suggests replacing the main boards but they probably don't have enough of them because the retailer's order is already 2 months in due as they told me.

I also thought they learned from the previous versions and it's a stable product now, but that's apparently not the case here and I am very disappointed. I am even a bit afraid to step on this specific wheel again after seeing the poor quality of the main board design and assembly. I'll have to improve my gear and slow down, I guess :D

But seriously, choose something else or wait at least another year until they fix problems created by their improvements.
---
I tried KS-S19 at the retailer's, it's a bit on the heavier side but very comfortable (unlike S18) and compared to KS-S22 it feels more agile on turns and it has significantly better pads. I also tried Veteran Patton, it feels much faster than KingSongs, the robustness is incredible, it feels like a tank but it's also (un)comfortable like one.

I would still choose S18 over those mentioned above just because of the ideal (for me) balance between its weight and agility and 50km distance is enough for me. Maybe KS-S19 would convince me if I would try it before S18. I am also very curious about the new KS-S16, but based on this experience with KingSong, I am probably never going to buy a one again. My Inmotion V5F (yeah, really!) saved the day again, it's slow but reliable :D (I weight 98kg...). The question is for how long, right? But it's still around 400km more reliable than my KS-S18.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update regarding my previous message. The local retailer replaced the main board (assembly date 2023-07-06) and now, 230km later, everything still works.

I don't remember it beeping during and after charging before, but it does now, occasionally. I have no clue why, there's no information about it anywhere and I doubt it's my phone connecting to it remotely from another room (at least the phone app does not show any active connections when I check it).

I am also not sure if it's all S18s but mine has a squeaking wheel since the beginning :D, not too loud but hearable. Treating it with plenty of oil in spray but it keeps coming back after a few kilometers...

But I am quite happy now. It's a good wheel when it works :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, Hi Guillaume, You got exactly the same reflexion, unicorn search than me (!) Coming for a KS 18L I sold it as I was looking for a better wheel to face the terrible bumpy roads in Paris. My ideal specs are: Reliability (no face plant), more confortable (got kinda a knee issue, want to spare it), not over 25kg (want it to fit in trains, etc). 70 km autonomy fine with me. 

But... the market is all about who get the biggest... So end up my search either going back to a non suspended wheel: KS 16X (built like a tank, reliable, kinda compact, torquy and a 3" tyre that I can deflate for "natural" suspension - not great but bringing a better confort I guess) or the S18 (I tried version one but was not pleased especially as I noticed that when braking fairly it was kinda slightly wobbling (I attribute that to the suspension stanchions (les fourreaux de la roue qui semble pas super calibrés). en discussion avec un shop, ils me disaient que la V3 avec Honeycomb devait être bien maintenant et que d'ailleurs le hollow motor date même de 2022 et non 2023. I'd like to think that they have fixed everything and that now we can talk about a "stabilized" wheel after being years in the market. But as you seem to have experienced this refresh was probably more impactful and not plug and play. Is that to say that latest model from December  have an upgraded mother board?? mystère. 

Btw listening to the sound of your video, by experience, it's was no way a shell issue but definitely a motor pb. got a friend who had a similar noise on first batch of KS 18XL back in 2019. he got a replacement unit (was brand new too)

But how're things now with your wheel?? still happy? is the shell aging well. Have you find great power pads (know there are not much space for them). 

Any issue with rain and stuff? What's your biggest concern What's your next wheel? 

Finally would you recommend it ?? 

thanks so much for your feedback

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edo92 said:

So end up my search either going back to a non suspended wheel: KS 16X (built like a tank, reliable, kinda compact, torquy and a 3" tyre that I can deflate for "natural" suspension - not great but bringing a better confort I guess) or the S18 (I tried version one but was not pleased especially as I noticed that when braking fairly it was kinda slightly wobbling

You might want to keep an eye on the KingSong S16 which is sorta like a 16X with suspension and pretty lights.

Thanks, yes thought of that too, but 33Kg is out of my league and by experience, reluctant for new wheel.... manufacturers always put model too quickly on the market and need a year or so to fix issues... Was checking the V12 HT (but also on the heavy side)...far from an ideal world to choose... lol

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear about issues with the newer S18s.  Hopefully they are fixed by now.  I have an S18 from early 2022 that I have put 1100 hard miles on.  I spent a summer climbing up and down a steep unpaved mountain road with tight switchbacks, ruts and loose gravel.  No issues.  Typical rides around 30 miles took the battery down to above 50%.  Speeds usually from 10 to 20 mph.  Sometimes up to around 25.  Beep set at 24.  Had my first issue lately…but a minor one.  Trolly handle would not retract.  Jason at eWheel told me the tubes must be bent, but I did not believe it.  When I took it apart, I found he wqs right.  Ordered replacements for $30.  Turns out I can ride it with the tubes removed, but I will replace them shortly.  Snowed hard here in New Hampshire today but am looking forward to a good riding season.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am also in the market for a unicorn (25kg, 18", suspension) for commuting in Paris (up to 20km per day) and I too hoped the S18 would be perfected by now into a light, agile and comfortable medium-range (by EU standards) commuter. These issues make me believe I'll have to stomach the weight of a V11Y instead (or fall back to a V10F or 18L, if I can find one). At least the V11Y has a proper headlight, certified waterproofing and a beefy controller to explain the weight. The S16 is too new and too heavy - if only there was a lighter, 1000Wh, possibly slower version (oops, that's the S18).