Inmotion V12 - Spin Kill Button not working

Unicyclone

Hello fellow unicyclers,

i have found my way to this nice hobby fairly recently and have only put about 1200km on my Inmotion V12 HS.

I am not an aggressive rider, mostly asphalt and so far the V12 has only fallen over at very low speeds so there is not even scratches on it. However, the spin kill button has now basically stopped working. It was getting worse progressively with the button working intermittently but now it only works in about 10% of the cases. Additionally, it seems like it gets stuck, meaning that when I lift the wheel back up, the wheel does not hold its position automatically using the gyro like it used to, and I have to push the spin kill button various times until it gets unstuck. The display works fine, so I assume it is not an issue with the contacts between the controller and the upper handle part, but I cannot be sure.

Has anybody experienced this and managed to fix it?

I am considering disabling the spin kill toggle switch in the settings as I am afraid that there is a loose connection that might turn on while riding. Is it possible to reprogram the On/Off Button so that it does not toggle the lights but instead behaves like the spin kill button on short press?

Thank you

Dominik

• Like 1

There have been a few rare cases of the lift kill button working poorly on a V11. I believe the button construction to be fairly similar. What solved those issues was disassembling, cleaning up, and carefully assembling just the button mechanism itself.

There is a screw (or two?) at the ends of the V11 lift button bracket, so you need a very short screwdriver (or just a head from a changeable head system, and pliers) to unscrew them.

Once you get the circuit board out, check that the cables/connectors are fine. Then wipe the board clean, then apply a good amount of electronics cleaner, or rubbing alcohol, or isopropanol, or whatever cleaning alcohol you have, straight at the small button, and press it for at least a few dozen times.

(If the button behavior was very loose, you can stretch the spring a little with pliers.)

Then assemble the system making sure that every part fits well, and that the button’s full travel is unobstructed.

If that doesn’t help, you might have to get to the mainboard to check the buttons cabling from that end.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, Unicyclone said:

I am afraid that there is a loose connection that might turn on while riding

The button doesn’t do anything at over like 4km/h speeds. This is a software safety mechanism.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, Unicyclone said:

Is it possible to reprogram the On/Off Button so that it does not toggle the lights but instead behaves like the spin kill button on short press?

Unfortunately no.

Edited by mrelwood

Thank you @mrelwood.

I am sure that must be it. One of the two screws you mentioned has previously gotten loose and since I don't have that imperial size hex key I only fixed it as good as I could. Pretty sure you are spot on.

Reassuring to know that the spin kill button doesn't do anything above 4km/h.

I will try to fix it once I have access to tools, which could take a while.

Thanks again, also a big fan of your no BS vids on YT :thumbup:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Unicyclone said:

Reassuring to know that the spin kill button doesn't do anything above 4km/h.

Of all the dumb things the manufacturers have done over the years, this is one thing they have always done right. On any brand wheel, the power and spin-kill buttons will be ignored whenever you're faster than like 2kph. Zero danger of that being a problem.

• Upvote 1

The screws of the kill switch button on the V12 can only be accessed by completely disassembling the whole unit. 

Once you have access to the upper assembly, you need to unplug the display cable and then carefully put the display aside making sure not to damage the glued/soldered ground connection. Then the next step is to pull the aluminium handle out of the plastic mold. However, in my case, I was able to pull only side of the aluminium handle out of the plastic mold as the other one was too tight. Unfortunately I could not figure out a way how to separate the plastic and the aluminium as there is absolutely no play.

It seems like I will have to live with a broken spin kill button. I specifically chose Inmotion because of it's alleged build quality and I must admit that I am a bit disappointed. Let's see what Inmotion support has to say. Still like the wheel but as it stands Inmotion isn't gaining another loyal customer.

Edited by Unicyclone
typo

I’m a bit confused. You mentioned before that one of the screws had gotten loose, but you couldn’t tighten it properly because you didn’t have the correct Allen key. Do you now mean that the screws can’t be even tightened without disassembling the whole unit? If they can, they can also be loosened, and most probably taken off.

It sucks that you are having this issue. But a certain percentage of units are always faulty in some way, they can’t get past that no matter how much they try. Goes for every single product line in the world, NASA included. Some people just get the duds. You may have better luck next time, no matter which manufacturer you choose. Inmotion or not.

But if you still have warranty, let it do what it exists for.

Well observed with the screws. First, I was looking at the wrong screws (the one on the lever and not the one on the handle) and second, my allen key for that screw size was worn out. So I totally screwed that up :shock2: Sorry about that. The screws on the handle are small philips screws.

Warranty won't work I suppose because I bought it off AliExpress. Also not sure if I want to give up that much fun for a minor inconvience :D 

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Do you now mean that the screws can’t be even tightened without disassembling the whole unit?

Yes indeed. If the screws on the spin kill button come loose you need to disassemble the whole unit in order to retighten them. There is much less play than on the V11.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 8:26 AM, Unicyclone said:

Yes I tried that but not enough leverage. If you look at the wheels side by side you will see why.

Even if you were to unscrew it somehow, there is not enough room to put the electronics back to together.

Did you arrive at your solution ?

• 2 months later...