My Sherman S 3D Printed Accessories

Rawnei

3 minutes ago, txwheel said:

Thanks for sharing these 3d print files!  I was getting ready to print the suspensions adjusters, but the link wouldn’t load 😢

Ah my bad, try again.

• Sherman S & Patton - Suspension Stopper

First design that I've removed as I don't think it really adds anything in practice and didn't work as intended, I think correct amount of compression dampening is more vital than something like this.

1.thumb.jpg.9408c891dd848f82bca3ca73938b2e7d.jpg

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

• Sherman S - Lightweight Bumper System

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6066011

A lightweight bumper system for the Sherman S.

The Sherman S is a pretty well built and durable wheel that can survive a lot of abuse, my main intention with this bumper system is to protect the shell from cosmetic scratches, personally I like to do a lot of off-roading and the occasional pedal clip and fall can happen and cause scratches on the shell, these bumpers together with power pads together make a pretty decent protection against that sort of thing.

I designed these bumpers to be held in place by strong double sided foam tape, I use 3M VHB tape, make sure whatever tape you use has strong adhesion.

The two rear bottom bumpers does not really fill any purpose other than being cosmetic creating a symmetrical look.

The battery cases on the Sherman S has a lot of different angles so it was a pain in the ass to design these and make them fit, also therefor not all parts of the bumpers directly touches the shell at all times, see installation notes below how to tackle that.

2.thumb.jpg.725aa0667999057d18ddd4833b701784.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, Rawnei said:

It's that time of year again, Printy Claus is back in town and it's time for Printmas Gifts! Well not really but it sounded funny in my head. 😂

Yet another wheel in my garage also means a bunch of 3D designs for it!

If you have a 3D printer enjoy, if not ask a friend! 😊 I don't provide printing services just share my designs for anyone to print.

• Sherman S - Sur Ron Light Bee Seat Mount

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6059510

A 3D printed mount to mount the Sur Ron Light Bee seat on the Sherman S.

It is possible that this mount would work on other similar seats such as the Luna seat but as I don't have one of those I am not able to check if dimensions are exactly the same or test it but it would make sense that they would have the same universal mounting system, please report back if you try this.

The Sur Ron Light Bee seat is a comfortable seat that can be found for a decent price on AliExpress, just search for "Sur Ron Light Bee seat" on AliExpress and you will get several hits, one downside with a seat this large is that it might hit the inner side of your legs while standing which can be deal breaker and major turn off for some riders.

This 3D print (2 parts that interlink) are screwed to the seat with 4xM6 Nuts and 4x Spacers and is then attached to the trolley handle using only Velcro (both Adhesive and Hook and loop strap recommended, see photos), if installed as recommended per photos it's very stable and won't come off of it's own.

This mount is designed so that you can install the seat in either direction you want so you can flip it 180 degrees from the way I have mounted it if that is your preference, one important thing to keep in mind if you plan on sitting on the thin part of the seat is that the bottom of the seat needs to be re-enforced first with some hard material and possibly epoxy or it will 100% crack and break sooner or later, the thin part of the seat is not designed to be sat directly on, it's mounted like that on a Sur Ron bike but a Sur Ron rider still sits on the fat part regardless.

2.thumb.jpg.2cd0d8b80be6d37b613e3368147719e4.jpg1.thumb.jpg.7c697bd6e54363a39dd3cb9f6e8cdb3f.jpg

• Sherman S & Patton - Suspension Adjustment Caps

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6059508

Adjustment caps for the rebound and compression dampening adjusters on the Sherman S and Patton for easy adjustments on the fly while out riding.

This print consists of two parts:

One knob for adjusting dampening, this part should be printed in a hard material (PLA is fine), this knob has pretty exact dimensions and will have to be pressed into the slot and will sit in there by friction.

One outer protector for the know to help it stay in place, this part should be printed in a soft material such as TPU and is held on with friction.

Together they are pretty robust and won't fall off that easily, tested on gnarly technical off-road with pedal clips and all.

1.thumb.jpg.1304a2488df7eeabb7c5180b97dea352.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6063840

A suspension stopper for the Sherman S and Patton suspension.

This is a work-in-progress, but what does that mean? Technically this stopper works, as in it intrudes 4mm on the suspension travel to create a TPU cushion around the outer edge of the dust wiper in case the suspension gets fully compressed, I can't say what difference it will make in practice but I figured it would be better than a hard bottom out. It is possible to change from 4mm to something else but I felt 4mm was a good base to start with.

Print this if you are willing to test it at your own discretion, please do leave feedback if you use it and what your impressions are or if you have any other thoughts about it.

1.thumb.jpg.82a4cedcb6219f21f938f4963d751f8d.jpg

• Sherman S - Lightweight Bumper System

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6066011

A lightweight bumper system for the Sherman S.

The Sherman S is a pretty well built and durable wheel that can survive a lot of abuse, my main intention with this bumper system is to protect the shell from cosmetic scratches, personally I like to do a lot of off-roading and the occasional pedal clip and fall can happen and cause scratches on the shell, these bumpers together with power pads together make a pretty decent protection against that sort of thing.

I designed these bumpers to be held in place by strong double sided foam tape, I use 3M VHB tape, make sure whatever tape you use has strong adhesion.

The two rear bottom bumpers does not really fill any purpose other than being cosmetic creating a symmetrical look.

The battery cases on the Sherman S has a lot of different angles so it was a pain in the ass to design these and make them fit, also therefor not all parts of the bumpers directly touches the shell at all times, see installation notes below how to tackle that.

2.thumb.jpg.e0a18c24e4bffe2441502ae0730818f3.jpg

Who can I get to print the suron seat parts? Duf?

• Sherman S - Parking Stand

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6077662

A parking stand for the Sherman S.

The Sherman S has a built in kickstand that is pretty sturdy but putting it on a stationary stand will make it take up less space in your home or storage area as the wheel will be upright instead of leaning.

This stand is designed in such a way that most of the weight from the wheel will actually rest on the floor so that the 3D printed part does not need to support the full weight of the wheel.

2.thumb.jpg.60649a27992e564feb37ab01477d3155.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.3295d7c00a31ccc33daf194b771eb708.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9c3dd22113d122e3644f370ea8e81d9e.jpg

Yeah so I need to buy a 3d printer now well it is on the list as i want to learn a new skill in my free time. not that I have much, but I like to keep busy learning new skills.  Any recommendations on a printer?  

7 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

Yeah so I need to buy a 3d printer now well it is on the list as i want to learn a new skill in my free time. not that I have much, but I like to keep busy learning new skills.  Any recommendations on a printer?  

Depends on how much money you are willing to spend, I have a Creality they are alright, Prusa is more expensive but generally better, either way you will want a "Direct Drive" printer. My Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro has served me very well but it has some quirks and hasn't been entirely problem free. Also it's a big time investment and a steep learning curve but that in itself can also be a fun journey.

• Upvote 1

What’s a big investment? 1000?  5000?  I’ve been looking at the 750-1200 range, these have been on my list for many years.

I figure it’ll likely be 10k when I finish setting up the home office, printer setups, new computer etc.  I do a lot of side gigs for work, archery, etc and the 3D printer will allow me to make a lot of little accessories we need/use.  

12 minutes ago, CDINPHX said:

What’s a big investment? 1000?  5000?  I’ve been looking at the 750-1200 range, these have been on my list for many years.

I figure it’ll likely be 10k when I finish setting up the home office, printer setups, new computer etc.  I do a lot of side gigs for work, archery, etc and the 3D printer will allow me to make a lot of little accessories we need/use.  

That's up to you, if you are willing to spend some more get a Prusa, then it comes down to how big a printing area it has (and how much space you have at home as a consequence).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

Works great! I had to get “15lb” outdoor Velcro for a super tight grip. 

IMG_5576.jpeg

Nice, did you reinforce under the seat on the thin side?

On 6/14/2023 at 11:33 PM, Rawnei said:

That's up to you, if you are willing to spend some more get a Prusa, then it comes down to how big a printing area it has (and how much space you have at home as a consequence).

Yeah I suspect my idea of a lot of cash is different then most due to my past hobbies being very expensive (technical scuba diving, ie shipwreck, caves, etc, being the icing on the cake for expensive hobbies). Good to know though, I was a expecting to  be spending 1200-1800 cdn, which doesn’t seem out of line, could probably go cheaper and get a good printer as well. 

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

Yeah I suspect my idea of a lot of cash is different then most due to my past hobbies being very expensive (technical scuba diving, ie shipwreck, caves, etc, being the icing on the cake for expensive hobbies). Good to know though, I was a expecting to  be spending 1200-1800 cdn, which doesn’t seem out of line, could probably go cheaper and get a good printer as well. 

Check out the new Bambu Lab P1P, looks really nice.

• Like 2

• Legacy: Sherman S - Mudflap

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6107827

2023-07-05: This design is not old but I already consider it legacy design, please see my new fender extender instead.

1.thumb.jpg.8ad55a7fd8acec164fc47e05cae1186b.jpg

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

• Sherman S - Fender Extender

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6109387

A fender extender for the Sherman S.

The fender/mudguard on the Sherman S is pretty good but there is ample of room where water and dirt can still spray up on the rider and also on anyone behind the wheel, this extender is designed to prevent that.

Install with strong double sided tape, I use 3M VHB tape which is very strong, see photo for example, make sure to clean/de-grease the area on the kickstand where the mudguard will attach to first (regular soap works great).

Print in TPU95A so that it is flexible, it needs to be able to bend if it hits something.

1.thumb.jpg.d6e0db139b98d2a971414668f3b8e4b0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.0056e78a6a260a2c1ca89b9f1c3eb4d2.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d676219b196596f363d055be553594df.jpg

Also added a fender hole plug for plugging those 3 arrows where water and dirt can normally sip out.

5.thumb.jpg.fc9b0d7d33582f6516159f723ee5eee4.jpg

Edited by Rawnei

This is why we can't have nice things.

Casey "EUC Way of Life" selling my design at a premium on Etsy claiming it is his design.

image.thumb.png.0b800385b02c956eaece61db356bce07.png

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/6351766398254603/

image.png.a5a32c998cca55cb95ef693e679399d3.png

lol yeah right.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 12:35 AM, Rawnei said:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6063840

A suspension stopper for the Sherman S and Patton suspension.

This is a work-in-progress, but what does that mean? Technically this stopper works, as in it intrudes 4mm on the suspension travel to create a TPU cushion around the outer edge of the dust wiper in case the suspension gets fully compressed, I can't say what difference it will make in practice but I figured it would be better than a hard bottom out. It is possible to change from 4mm to something else but I felt 4mm was a good base to start with.

Print this if you are willing to test it at your own discretion, please do leave feedback if you use it and what your impressions are or if you have any other thoughts about it.

1.thumb.jpg.9408c891dd848f82bca3ca73938b2e7d.jpg

Regarding my stopper.

Upon further reflection and looking at the way the Sherman S and Patton is constructed I don't think that this type of stopper is effective, there's just not enough space inside where the shock is moving and the stopper is basically just in the way in there so I recommend experimenting with compression dampening instead of using this stopper.

• 2 weeks later...

With the seat mounted this high do you not feel the need for any padding on the top of the suspension when standing?

I find the insides of my legs getting sore from contact on a long ride without anything there. I do like the idea of having more height to easier leverage the wheel to the side when turning at medium+ speed.

1 hour ago, Poker said:

With the seat mounted this high do you not feel the need for any padding on the top of the suspension when standing?

I find the insides of my legs getting sore from contact on a long ride without anything there. I do like the idea of having more height to easier leverage the wheel to the side when turning at medium+ speed.

We all have different legs so this type of seat setup work better for some and worse for others unfortunately. 😔

Maybe something that was just tall in the rear would be more optimal for a lot of riders.

• Like 1

• Sherman S - Seat

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6213137

A seat for the Sherman S.

Having used the Sur-Ron seat on my Sherman S for a while I noticed that it pushed against the inner side of my knees which eventually caused pain over time so I wanted to design something that was comfortable but not pushing against my knees and came up with this design. This seat is not as comfortable as a Sur-Ron seat but it's not bad and still plenty comfortable.

A large part of the underside consists of holes in patterns, this creates walls on the inside of the seat which creates good support to sit on, after the holes end it's all infill making the top part of the seat soft.

This is quite a long print, with a 0.6 nozzle it takes around 40 hours give or take and uses up around 518g of material with the supports, when supports are removed the seat will weigh closer to 450g.

1.thumb.jpg.09cc2a5a5247996b72868bc743dbbd92.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c434899022f10f1a2a0ca56a1ac97f0c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.9055c6af0ae6676f1d492f0f510dd2d6.jpg