V11 Performs better when not fully charged

Josh P

Anyone notice this? I went out this afternoon fully charged and it was fine. I came back with about 80%. Charged it up to 95% and just got back after about 30 minutes. The wheel feels more responsive and nimble and just more fun to ride. I have about 700 miles and have noticed it a lot. Is there any battery science behind this or am I full of it 

Edited by Josh P

Possibly. Shoes make a difference and not having the right tire and suspension pressure can make the ride terrible, but that’s not really what this is. Could be im more warmed up but it actually feels more like something with the machine. Much better flow. Whatever it is it rules.

Edited by Josh P

Maybe you're right. Like the control board power conversion circuit is tuned for a voltage in the middle of the battery range. 

That would mean that on half battery, you have good response as long as you don't draw too much power and sag the voltage down . Like under heavy acceleration.

Also, under full battery, strong acceleration could then be closer to this ideal voltage than cruising.

Do you feel any of this?

5 hours ago, Josh P said:

The wheel feels more responsive and nimble and just more fun to ride.

Feeling responsive and having fun are human emotions and feelings. And being nimble is also a human feature. But that’s not to say that nothing would change in the wheel. Just not nearly as much as it does in the rider.

Is there any battery science behind this

A little. When the voltage gets lower, the voltage sag under stress gets larger. You might feel the difference especially if you’re riding with 100% pedal hardness. No matter your setting, you could try lowering it a little to get into the zone sooner.

Tire behavior also changes a good bit when it gets warm.

But none of these are in any way unique to the V11. What’s your experience with other wheels?

Have the nearly same experience with the RS19 (hard mode)
around 65% to 50% battery the ride becomes softer,
hard to describe but especially when doing quick
carvings the response and feel from the wheel is soft,
like walking on a rubber-coated athletic track, or surfing
slowly down on a smooth wave.
Then from 50% and further down the wheel becomes normal again
 - but this is probably also connected to the fact that I don't
push as much when the battery is half empty - anxiety about cutouts lurking ;)

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Feeling responsive and having fun are human emotions and feelings. And being nimble is also a human feature. But that’s not to say that nothing would change in the wheel. Just not nearly as much as it does in the rider.

A little. When the voltage gets lower, the voltage sag under stress gets larger. You might feel the difference especially if you’re riding with 100% pedal hardness. No matter your setting, you could try lowering it a little to get into the zone sooner.

Tire behavior also changes a good bit when it gets warm.

But none of these are in any way unique to the V11. What’s your experience with other wheels?

I’ve never been on another wheel, this is my first. I do have the hardness set to 100% so maybe I’ll do some tinkering. Thanks 

• Upvote 1

I do have the hardness set to 100% so maybe I’ll do some tinkering.

Try Commuter mode with 70% pedal hardness, assists maybe halfway in.

• Thanks 1

More likely it felt better because you were still in "full swing" from the first ride, but then got back on again with the added bonus of some rest and relaxation during the charging break. I have noticed that when I feel stiff and cramped and uncomfortable at the beginning of a ride I can get off and walk a couple dozen steps and then when I get back on the cramps and tensions are gone and I can ride the wheel comfortably and without foot pain for the rest of the ride.

• Upvote 1