V12 from auction with errors

ArieKanarie

Hello,

Just picked up an inmotion v12 from an auction.

When I turn it on it does not balance
Voltage at ~45V:
IMG_20230522_094541.thumb.jpg.e5999d87e4dd2f81541751b75314c948.jpg
Speed updates while rolling
Red exclamation mark, when I press it it shows the information below:
1851407090_WhatsAppImage2023-05-22at09_47_40.thumb.jpeg.74da799c39e3059eac7425f85b973a26.jpeg

When I try to connect to it with the inmotion app, it finds the wheel but fails to connect, saying that it is an unsupported product model even though the image of a v12 shows up when it finds it in the search results.
Screenshot_2023-05-22-09-50-36-979_com.inmotion.android_app.thumb.jpg.7316b8ea4453b58c47aa1008fb0244a1.jpg

The wheel shuts itself off after 20 seconds.

Is this a driver swap?
Is this a case of just charging the wheel?

Please advise.

I do not own a V12 and therefore what I write now is only based on what I have learned by reading what others have experienced.  But it seems important that you take great care when charging the wheel. If the batteries have dropped below their minimum voltage, attempting to charge them can be associated with a fire hazard. If possible, if you are going to try it, do it outdoors in an area where other things cannot catch fire in the event of an accident. 

I took it apart.

I did the battery reset trick with tweezers

The right pack showed 48.8V shortly before going back to 2.1V

The left pack never changed from 1.4V

2 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

I took it apart.

I did the battery reset trick with tweezers

The right pack showed 48.8V shortly before going back to 2.1V

The left pack never changed from 1.4V

Bad battery packs are not easy repairable. Inmotion bms are afaik hard to get. Replacing single bad cells is quite some work and needs experience.

This could be a reason to replace the wheel :(

If I were the OP I'd need a way to see that the wheel is worth saving before buying new packs. If I can't borrow a pack then I'd take the chance of charging the 48v pack (not for saving it) and get it to a minimum accepted voltage.

Ideally you borrow a pack because what I suggest comes with risk.

The completely dead pack should not be charged. Remove it. Try to start the wheel with only one pack. And oh yeah, do the charging+testing outdoors. Use a low charge current. You'd need override the wheel's own charging circuit by connecting directly to the battery terminals. All groups need to be over 3.0v for the wheel to turn on. 

If all goes well you need new packs or if you want to DIY, new cells. The next tricky job is to build new packs and reuse the old bms'. That's not an easy job and the bms' could be malfunctioning meaning that you can't know for sure the cell investment is going to be worth it or not.