Wind riding

3 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

So as a general rule if the wind is gusting faster than my KS16x can go I don't ride it. Is that a good rule?

Well that would leave out the possibility of going faster than the wheel can usually go if you go the same direction the wind is going, just don't turn around at 50% battery and think your making it back...:P

• Haha 3

I've ridden in pretty nasty wind conditions (in the city) and it doesn't necessarily prevent you from riding. You might have to go slower and really pay attention to the pedal-curb distance. Worst case I ride on the sidewalk. 

But I'm sure there are windier places and for those situations it's hard to say where the limit is. I guess it's a personal preference.

Yeah you can't really trust a speed limit to keep you safe if you're riding into a headwind. I hear that if you can ride seated you can avoid some of the wind resistance but I'm not brave enough to do that in tricky conditions, yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Riding in wind absolutely sucks. Heading into it kills your acceleration and speed. Getting hit from the side randomly and at different directions is super sketchy. I slow down if there are bad crosswinds and often sit. I’ve only done it on a v11. I suspect a more powerful and heavy wheel probably would be better. Wind is my kryptonite. 🌬️

• Like 2

Riding in the wind when wanting to get somewhere can certainly be a pain. But riding in the wind to specifically play with it is so much fun.

You certainly learn to deal with it and learn your own and the wheels limits. Because of this its hard to say at what speed. For me on an S18 40 Mph sustained is too sketchy anything below this is possible. Max I like when playing in the wind is 50-60Mph gusts. But riding home in this needs to be very slow or walk back.

For me I do find riding in the wind is more stable than walking in that same wind. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I suspect a more powerful and heavy wheel probably would be better.

I would have thought so too, but it's certainly not the case with my Master, which is both big and heavy, yet is maximum sketchy in gusting wind, and crosswind can be very dangerous on one of those. I used to play in the wind all the time on my low-down little MS3, but I have quickly learned it is MUCH more of a liability to be higher up and moving at great speed when the wind is that blowy...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

We had 50 mph winds this spring I was at work it blew me off my wheel just a block from work going home, I did continue on but extremely slow speeds, and still was like a high wire act.... 

• Like 2

Yeah, slowing down definitely helps, doesn't it, though I am never sure why when it's crosswind !

I still go out on windy days (sub 30 mph gusts) but stay away from the top of hills and wide open or wind-tunnel type areas. Within limits is manageable if you're expecting it...

Zig-zagging also helps a bit in that you are constantly varying your direction relative to it, which gives more opportunity for the worst of it to slide 'past you' rather than 'through you'...

• Like 2