Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

1 hour ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

first lets clarify that travel distance doesnt play any role without taking in consideration travel of shock absorber,

Plainly false.

If you don't have enough travel, and you bottomed, you are out of luck.

If there isn't enough damping, it just pogos more cycles.

You do realize you don't have to have to use a coil over. In addition, you can have just a spring and no shock. It just pogos without damping. Not ideal, but still works.

3 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

first lets clarify that travel distance doesnt play any role without taking in consideration travel of shock absorber,

everyone from you is just fooled my marketing department of euc manufacturers.

you can enlarge stanchions travel by any amount, BUT if your shock absorber remains 200mm*55mm travel, you ll have absolutely same bad suspension,

so s18,s19,v14 etc. are same crap from different buckets, and yes they are not made for extreme.

spring works like a battery that acumulates energy, that is later dissipated by oil. so s22 that is well reassmbled and tightened will be good extreme wheel cause it has larger shock absorber 240*75mm with larger travel distance 130mm

so v14 with crappy old 200*55mm shock is nothing but fake and bait for ppl that dont understand how suspension works

I think you've answered the wrong post here - I only commented on too firm for someone is actually too firm. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Unventor said:

There are a few things that works differently with EUCs vs other type of vehicles. So broken down some system would on paper work better than others. But to implement other versions or size comes at a cost as space/sice/weight/placements options/money

EUC is unique, however their suspension systems to date are taken from mtb rear and front suspension systems. The only difference I'm aware of is the use of sliders with the mtb rear suspension type setup. I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that in this case the technology is already out there and is being utilised in euc - not reinvented. We are yet to see the level of implementation / quality that we're used to in the mtb world. Personally I'd prefer a fork type setup for simplicity. Inmotion's implementation of this (esp the v13) is really poor quality. They should have contracted out the suspension side of things to one of the many quality manufacturers. This is done all the time with mtb and motorcycle re components, especially braking and suspension. Inmotion could have (should have) learnt from that massively historic experience - I don't know how they managed to avoid the obvious. I can only think that they made a cost cutting decision to keep it "in house". Such a big let down though.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:13 PM, ORDO NOVUS said:

you are totally wrong.

Advice: only use appetizing words.

Makes them easier to eat later.

:D

On 12/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, Planemo said:

Your post doesn't make much sense. My MTB uses 'only' a 65mm stroke but has 160mm travel.

55mm stroke shocks are fairly standard on 150mm travel MTB's.

So both the above examples run shorter shocks than your 75mm but still have more wheel travel.

Ergo, shock stroke doesn't bear any real relevance to wheel travel when linkages are employed.

The discussion takes interesting turns, but this right here is the basic factor @ORDO NOVUS omits.

linkage.thumb.jpg.248de720d2f0a797fa68ba602ce9eca4.jpg

On 12/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, ORDO NOVUS said:

it was shown to make u understand that you know absolutely nothing 

Gravy might help. Or a red wine reduction...

:D

Edited by UPONIT

On 12/2/2023 at 4:34 AM, ORDO NOVUS said:

everyone from you is just fooled my marketing department of euc manufacturers.

you can enlarge stanchions travel by any amount, BUT if your shock absorber remains 200mm*55mm travel, you ll have absolutely same bad suspension

Chill dude. Your extreme statements suggest that you are only out for trolling. Most of us are having a friendly and informative conversation here.

Anyway, for those of us interested in non-inflamed discussion about this stuff, there's a couple points that would be interesting to discuss and find more insight.

I'm convinced that slider travel distance plays a significant role in rider experience and control regardless of the shock absorber size or quality.

Even if you have the same shitty 55mm travel shock used on an 85mm or a 130mm travel suspension and basic linear linkage, if you adjust the pressure and knobs to match each setup and rider weight, your knees and ability to control on impact will definitely benefit from the greater travel of 130mm on a big landing. And undeniably there's more space to eat path irregularities, especially if a progressive design is used.

Just so you don't become irrationally pissed off, this statement of yours definitely has merit

On 12/2/2023 at 5:13 AM, ORDO NOVUS said:

240*75 shock is better than 200*55 both for smooth ride and hard drops

Planemo counters,

On 12/2/2023 at 5:18 AM, Planemo said:

Nope. All depends how the linkage is designed.

I might have dropped the "Nope." Because there are benefits of matching a longer shock travel with suspension travel whenever possible. It's hard to argue with the physics of longer travel allowing for greater control of impact. But he's so right when he says it "All depends." We do find similar performance from shorter shock absorbers, it just requires better engineering due to the greater forces that the shorter distance has to manage. And size plays a big role on manufacturing expense and on bulk and weight of our equipment. So I'm not surprised when smaller shocks are used.

As Planemo also mentions

On 12/2/2023 at 4:58 AM, Planemo said:

55mm stroke shocks are fairly standard on 150mm travel MTB's.

Modern mountain bikes perform amazingly well.

It's not a black and white situation. The physics of leverage, the differences in linear and non-linear linkage designs, and engineering quality in the shocks all together deliver a wide spectrum of performance possibilities. Longer travel give you more to work with but it's not tit for tat by millimeter because we have good technology.

I suspect that the V14 suspension may be designed better than other 85mm suspension wheels for technical riding and drops. I don't doubt that Inmotion tried to strike a balance between cost / specs / market demands in their design and engineering. My sense is that most of the market will be content with 85mm. And smaller is typically cheaper so Inmotion is likely putting those into the equation.  My riding style still wishes they used a longer slider travel, assuming the shock and linkage would be well engineered to match.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, SoleCycle said:

My riding style still wishes they used a longer slider travel, assuming the shock and linkage would be well engineered to match.

+1.

On my S22 with a 300 lbs spring with no preload, and set to full suspension travel, I get a sag of roughly 25%.

I prefer a cushy ride, so I set damping to the lowest settings. And I am almost bottoming out.

Some people estimate the true available suspension travel is less than 130 mm, maybe about 110 - 120 mm?

I am happy with the sizing of the shock. As it turns out, it is the same size shock used in the original Orange.

I am happy with the current suspension spec's for urban commuting.  I don't do curbs, drops, jumps, stairs, or anything like that.

The only time I come close to bottoming out is while going over large speed bumps at speeds. I don't slow down.

The only thing that I can think of to improve it is maybe put in a slight higher rising rate near the end of stroke. The other option is to put in a progressively wound spring. But I prefer to use a straight rate spring, and a more progressive rising rate shock activating linkage.

I don't want longer suspension travel than the rated 130 mm because the pedal height is already kind of higher than my liking.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

We all have such different demands for these wheels.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

no preload, and set to full suspension travel, I get a sag of roughly 25%.

I prefer a cushy ride, so I set damping to the lowest settings. And I am almost bottoming out.

You're taking advantage of jump wheel specs and turning it into the ride feel of a Cadillac! :efee6b18f3:

I over pressure my 100mm shocks for my weight because I want more absorption on hard hits and I want the extra height to clear trail debris and weird rock shapes. Plus I feel like I have a bit more agility with a tight suspension. I want 130mm so that I can relax that pressure a little and enjoy a bit of sag and increase the damping a little. That might allow me to cruise and eat little bumps more smoothly while still keeping a good amount of travel for the hard hits.

I hear that the progressive design on the V14 is really good. And it probably is good for 85mm. But I am concerned about the literal physical limitations of lesser suspension travel. No amount of engineering can change the physical difference between 85mm and 130mm.

Oh and the other thing is I'm already scraping pedals on deep turns. I hope that the smaller suspension doesn't mean the pedals are lower. It's dumb to have to compensate wheel tilt angle when you're only 2/3 into the tire's sidewall tread before scraping pedals. What's the point of all that extra tread if you can't use it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoleCycle said:

I over pressure my 100mm shocks for my weight because I want more absorption on hard hits and I want the extra height to clear trail debris and weird rock shapes. Plus I feel like I have a bit more agility with a tight suspension. I want 130mm so that I can relax that pressure a little and enjoy a bit of sag and increase the damping a little. That might allow me to cruise and eat little bumps more smoothly while still keeping a good amount of travel for the hard hits.

Your use case definitely differs from mine.

I suppose the S22 Pro and the Extreme can potentially get you the longest suspension travel the market can offer you right now. But you may have to put some work into it to get it where you want it.

Plus I feel like I have a bit more agility with a tight suspension.

When I first test rode the Patton and the S22 on an Intro2Speed tight cone track, I felt the firmer suspension helped the chassis stay in better balance, resulting in me feeling more in control. However, now that I have experimented my S22 on the streets, I don't seem to need that for normal riding. Instead, I found that a cushy ride is what works best for me. I don't feel most bumps, and there are not any bumps along my routes that gives me problems. I don't need to shy away from sections of road anymore. A soft suspension works great for city riding on an euc.

I hear that the progressive design on the V14 is really good. And it probably is good for 85mm. But I am concerned about the literal physical limitations of lesser suspension travel. No amount of engineering can change the physical difference between 85mm and 130mm.

That's the theory. But the proof is always in the pudding.

Oh and the other thing is I'm already scraping pedals on deep turns. I hope that the smaller suspension doesn't mean the pedals are lower. It's dumb to have to compensate wheel tilt angle when you're only 2/3 into the tire's sidewall tread before scraping pedals. What's the point of all that extra tread if you can't use it?

If your use case dictates generous ground clearance, you need ground clearance. You have to look for a wheel that gives you that.

Now that I am spoiled by a 130 mm suspension with a good rising rate linkage, I am not sure whether the Veteran suspension is enough? :) 

My preference is also to have a suspension that has adequate travel, and a good rising rate linkage.

But I may compromise.

I am finding that the city salts the roads when the temperatures get below 3 C, and it is causing preliminary symptoms of seizing in bearings.

I have the Hou Ningning roller sliders and I have to constantly maintain them. Also, the ball bearings in the linkage can corrode too.

But on the other hand, in the case of the hydraulic suspension of the Veteran wheels, the whole suspension is in an oil bath sealed inside a housing (hydraulic struts).

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SoleCycle said:

Chill dude. Your extreme statements suggest that you are only out for trolling. Most of us are having a friendly and informative conversation here.

Anyway, for those of us interested in non-inflamed discussion about this stuff, there's a couple points that would be interesting to discuss and find more insight.

I'm convinced that slider travel distance plays a significant role in rider experience and control regardless of the shock absorber size or quality.

Even if you have the same shitty 55mm travel shock used on an 85mm or a 130mm travel suspension and basic linear linkage, if you adjust the pressure and knobs to match each setup and rider weight, your knees and ability to control on impact will definitely benefit from the greater travel of 130mm on a big landing. And undeniably there's more space to eat path irregularities, especially if a progressive design is used.

Just so you don't become irrationally pissed off, this statement of yours definitely has merit

Planemo counters,

I might have dropped the "Nope." Because there are benefits of matching a longer shock travel with suspension travel whenever possible. It's hard to argue with the physics of longer travel allowing for greater control of impact. But he's so right when he says it "All depends." We do find similar performance from shorter shock absorbers, it just requires better engineering due to the greater forces that the shorter distance has to manage. And size plays a big role on manufacturing expense and on bulk and weight of our equipment. So I'm not surprised when smaller shocks are used.

As Planemo also mentions

Modern mountain bikes perform amazingly well.

It's not a black and white situation. The physics of leverage, the differences in linear and non-linear linkage designs, and engineering quality in the shocks all together deliver a wide spectrum of performance possibilities. Longer travel give you more to work with but it's not tit for tat by millimeter because we have good technology.

I suspect that the V14 suspension may be designed better than other 85mm suspension wheels for technical riding and drops. I don't doubt that Inmotion tried to strike a balance between cost / specs / market demands in their design and engineering. My sense is that most of the market will be content with 85mm. And smaller is typically cheaper so Inmotion is likely putting those into the equation.  My riding style still wishes they used a longer slider travel, assuming the shock and linkage would be well engineered to match.

as i said earlier my post is related to inmotion pretending to be innovative company doing something of good quality, in fact its BS wrapped in flashy candy wrap with a lot of marketing and bad engineering.

it is ok to talk wrong things for peopple that have experience in mtb because they think it matter in euc, in fact - it doesnt. physics of obastacle overcoming is different.

small suspension travel distance with small shock travel distance leaves you with no choice when we speak about "cushy vs solid" suspension. if you put soft coil, big part of it will be eaten by your weight if you have 200*55 absorber, if you put solid coil, you will have bad suspension on small bumps. also if general travel distance is close to shock travel distance like here 85 to 55, you just have no space for linkage to change multiplier of force that is transmitted.

v14 was presented like a gamechanger, in fact it is flimsy fake bubble with a lot of cheap plastic. leaperkim has okayish suspension and it doesnt require from euc manufacturer high production culture and tolerance control, instead all wheels with linkage system require precise tolerances and high quality control, otherwise your suspension will fail after 1000-2000km. as for now - all eucs with linkage system confirm this.

video from 2cells1pack confirm that production culture is low, look at non uniform distances in linkage, you should reassemble whole wheel, reset geometry and put spacers. even this will not guarantee anything. Also pedals just hang around on 2 screwheads! and they say it is for offroad? BS

Also non of you mentioned that this wheel is doomed to fail because of the fact that it has double progression - linkage and spring. So every progression suspension has graph like rising curve, so it multiplies force applied with a certain multiplier, BUT here we have 2 almost same curbs, that were not calculated to work with each other. More than that, they just cant be calculated because for different weight EVEN if they will be calculated to pair well you should use different coils and not universal 600-1200 like here.

In fact when you have uncalculated progressive systems in suspension, you inevitably will get a certant point in a graph, where youl will have a gap where difference of force transmitted from one system to another will differ significantly. This leads the wheel to non linear behaviour of suspension in that point and it either will try to catapult you or will not work well enough to absorb bump.

also i said nothing yet about marty's dead controller, hall sensors, poor motor winding, broken stanchions of other bloggers etc. etc.

TL;DR v14 is poor engineered and progressive coil will not work with linkage as seen on "inmotional damage" advertisements. 

fail.jpg

1 hour ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

as i said earlier my post is related to inmotion pretending to be innovative company doing something of good quality, in fact its BS wrapped in flashy candy wrap with a lot of marketing and bad engineering.

it is ok to talk wrong things for peopple that have experience in mtb because they think it matter in euc, in fact - it doesnt. physics of obastacle overcoming is different.

small suspension travel distance with small shock travel distance leaves you with no choice when we speak about "cushy vs solid" suspension. if you put soft coil, big part of it will be eaten by your weight if you have 200*55 absorber, if you put solid coil, you will have bad suspension on small bumps. also if general travel distance is close to shock travel distance like here 85 to 55, you just have no space for linkage to change multiplier of force that is transmitted.

v14 was presented like a gamechanger, in fact it is flimsy fake bubble with a lot of cheap plastic. leaperkim has okayish suspension and it doesnt require from euc manufacturer high production culture and tolerance control, instead all wheels with linkage system require precise tolerances and high quality control, otherwise your suspension will fail after 1000-2000km. as for now - all eucs with linkage system confirm this.

video from 2cells1pack confirm that production culture is low, look at non uniform distances in linkage, you should reassemble whole wheel, reset geometry and put spacers. even this will not guarantee anything. Also pedals just hang around on 2 screwheads! and they say it is for offroad? BS

Also non of you mentioned that this wheel is doomed to fail because of the fact that it has double progression - linkage and spring. So every progression suspension has graph like rising curve, so it multiplies force applied with a certain multiplier, BUT here we have 2 almost same curbs, that were not calculated to work with each other. More than that, they just cant be calculated because for different weight EVEN if they will be calculated to pair well you should use different coils and not universal 600-1200 like here.

In fact when you have uncalculated progressive systems in suspension, you inevitably will get a certant point in a graph, where youl will have a gap where difference of force transmitted from one system to another will differ significantly. This leads the wheel to non linear behaviour of suspension in that point and it either will try to catapult you or will not work well enough to absorb bump.

also i said nothing yet about marty's dead controller, hall sensors, poor motor winding, broken stanchions of other bloggers etc. etc.

TL;DR v14 is poor engineered and progressive coil will not work with linkage as seen on "inmotional damage" advertisements. 

fail.jpg

So why do you bother since you are so negative about the V14? 

Just don't buy it none is forcing you to. 

Just put your focus elsewhere. 

But if others do decide to buy the V14 as they might very well not share your opinion. It is a free choice for every rider... Always. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, techyiam said:

On my S22 with a 300 lbs spring with no preload, and set to full suspension travel, I get a sag of roughly 25%

that sounds like an ideal setup, although you're bottoming out pretty easily. Do you have any compression damping?

16 hours ago, SoleCycle said:

And size plays a big role on manufacturing expense and on bulk and weight of our equipment

I don't think shock size costs much more (insignificant?) in money or weight. Well a spring will increase in weight, but an air can is insignificant. With mtb and euc they have to shoe horn in that shock. For mtb and larger size frames they still have limitations of fitting stuff in when it comes to pivots etc - often these still dictate possible seat post depth etc (more critical with dropper posts). And then you enter in smaller frame sizes - mtb especially is a nightmare for manufacturers when it comes to sizing. EUC just needs to keep everything compact - a longer shock means more sticking out, more prone to damage or interfering with rider movement etc. Also, the suspension needs a certain amount of space for it's own movement. Imagine that suspension pushed down flat (bottomed out) - it probably hits the mud guard (or close to it). Right now it looks as though the shock and linkage will stay just inside the line between rear top handle / guard and the outer diameter of the tyre; I imagine that is good design (keeping it protected) rather than luck.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

No amount of engineering can change the physical difference between 85mm and 130mm

An increase in suspension travel also affects pedal height. I imagine this might be a limitation on a 16" wheel

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Uras said:

that sounds like an ideal setup, although you're bottoming out pretty easily. Do you have any compression damping?

As currently set up, both compression damping and rebound damping are set to give the least opposition to motion.

I did try to dial in some rebound damping, but then when I go over big speed bumps at speeds, it became easier to bottom out. By keeping the rebound damping at its minimum setting, it worked better.

For where and how I ride, it only come close to bottoming when I go over large speed bumps at speeds. They put in these speed bumps to deter cars since the car would destroy their undercarriage should they attempt to go faster. No cars go fast over these speed bumps. Even bicycles slow down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

By keeping the rebound damping at its minimum setting, it worked better.

Awesome. I imagine you know, but someone here might find this helpful re rebound damping adj. Something I learnt with mtb, but it should work the same with euc. Get someone to film the wheel in slomo as you ride off a curb; ideally the suspension should return to sag after it compresses just the once. If it bounces up and down a bit (the suspension), increase rebound adj and try again until the suspension compresses the once when it hits the road, and then returns to sag, just the once. You need to ride off the kerb smoothly and not use your legs to absorb etc - try to be a dead weight and let the suspension take it all. And, ideally start with rebound damping on the bouncy side or no damping. The aim is to get just enough rebound damping.

I found a video that will surely be better than my description :D

Edited by Uras
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Uras said:

Awesome. I imagine you know, but someone here might find this helpful re rebound damping adj. Something I learn't with mtb, but it should work the same with euc. Get someone to film the wheel in slomo as you ride off a curb; ideally the suspension should return to sag after it compresses just the once. If it bounces up and down a bit (the suspension), increase rebound adj and try again until the suspension compresses the once when it hits the road, and then returns to sag, just the once. You need to ride off the kerb smoothly and not use your legs to absorb etc - try to be a dead weight and let the suspension take it all.

True enough. For proper wheel control, especially over a series of bumps, you would want immediate recovery. So on rebound, it should go straight to sag, and stops there, so that it will be ready for the next road imperfection.

However, for an euc, I am finding good suspension compliance over sections of broken asphalt surfaces. Although, the suspension pogos, the wheel is still in good control.

For a car, this is a no no. On worn dampers, it is really easy to lose control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 7:57 AM, Unventor said:

So yes marketing from Inmotion view the V14 as an offroad/jump stint wheel (within reason like 1m drops). The question here is the more extreme you make this the fewer potential customers will find this truly useful. 

So what Inmotion always have been good at is to create balanced specefi EUC. I would think the V14 would be something similar. But yes not all will buy this model. 

I think the point Inmotion messed up with this wheel is naming. We have never seen adventure EUCs before, but we know what are adventure motorcycles and adventure bicycles. In both cases this is a compromise between road and offroad performance with emphasis on comfort (not shaving seconds on the track or doing crazy jumps and drops). I had Suzuki V-strom motorcycle before. It was great for long journeys on any kind of roads with occasional offroad, but it was not that good on technical trails or on curvy roads. I'm ok with both of these limitations as long as know that I can do 1000km/day in the saddle without destroying my butt. The goal of adventure transport is to be able to go anywhere you want with enough comfort. If you are careful, it can handle some offroad like exploring side trails and setting a camp in the beautiful remote spot somewhere in the mountains.

Not bottoming out on 1m drops is good, but who cares if most people just ride street or moderate trails? If Inmotion called this wheel Extreme, I would have 0 problems with stiff suspension at all. But as of today, the only true adventure wheel is probably Veteran Lynx. I'm sill waiting for my V14 to come but I'm already thinking about ordering an aftermarket shock, spring, and maybe tire to make it a true adventure wheel.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ro.man said:

But as of today, the only true adventure wheel is probably Veteran Lynx. I'm sill waiting for my V14 to come but I'm already thinking about ordering an aftermarket shock, spring, and maybe tire to make it a true adventure wheel.

historic euc experience tells us to wait - don't buy a new model that has just been released. You already have the V14 coming - I'd stick with that for at least a year. For one example, I still think the way the suspension mounts to the wheel on the lynx / patton is a weakness, and a potentially expensive one.

I'll probably get the ks s16 because it appears to be enough for me. I do some technical steep stuff with the 16x so I know how much torque I need and how much is simply not needed. The lynx is appealing though because of it's 20" wheel - that alone makes for an easier ride off road and it will need all that extra torque if it wants to compete with the 16" wheels in climbing etc and it seems to have it. Me on my 16x climb better than a lighter much better rider on his V13 for example.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ro.man said:

But as of today, the only true adventure wheel is probably Veteran Lynx. I'm sill waiting for my V14 to come but I'm already thinking about ordering an aftermarket shock, spring, and maybe tire to make it a true adventure wheel.

The impression I got from Bob Yan's interview was that the Adventure was going to be a dedicated off road wheel challenging the likes of the S22 Pro, and the Extreme.

If you are open to modding a brand new wheel, then there are more choices available to you.

54 minutes ago, techyiam said:

If you are open to modding a brand new wheel, then there are more choices available to you.

Yeah, I prefer to customize my vehicles. Maybe it is a disease of some sort, but tuning my ride makes me feel better ))
What are the choices available? 

1 hour ago, Ro.man said:

Yeah, I prefer to customize my vehicles. Maybe it is a disease of some sort, but tuning my ride makes me feel better ))
What are the choices available? 

What are currently selling.

I was speaking in general terms.

Depending on your use case, you need to nail down the critical criteria like battery capacity, and price.

If you are handy and doesn't mind working on your wheel, the S22 could be one option. People generally like the rising rate curve of its linkage. 

The Begode suspension wheels generally need the shock and linkage to be replaced, and the sliders reworked.

The Veteran suspension wheels are less customizable but for many riders, it's probably rideable right out of fhe box.

It seem to me the Master has been popular among riders who like to customize their ride.