V12HT Recalibration?

Jkay

New rider here, about 100 miles on my V12HT, today it felt “funny”, seems to be tilted bow down at 15-18mph.  My absolute top speed is 22mph, routinely ride at 12-14mph.  I stopped and did a recalibration and it worked fine.  Seems strange that it would work fine then rather suddenly tilt nose down (only 2-3 degrees).  As an old fart, not particularly fond of pain, new ride this is concerning.  How often should I expect to do a recalibration?  Is this semi normal? Thanks all!  Appreciate the help I have received here!  I am probably the only EUC in 75 mile radius so all my information comes from YouTube and primarily here!  

Jay 

• Like 1

I don't have IM wheels, and have felt the need to recalibrate a couple times. I think once with the 16X after trying to ride backwards and dropping it a bunch and once on the S22 after a firmware update (I normally recalibrate after every firmware update but didn't one time—and the wheel didn't feel right so I recalibrated it).

Based on this I expect my wheels to hold calibration—but wouldn't be surprised if it drifts off and needs a periodic check. Sudden changes though, I'd double check that the motherboard is properly screwed down and not loose. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with the 16X—the way its motherboard is attached is probably fine but I do think the motherboard can shift if the wheel receives a hard impact.

Thanks Tawpie,  being brand new I will admit my V12 HT has had a few low speed learning type falls.  In the last 50 miles or so the falls have been much less, mostly step-on type bumps.  Just not wild about the much dreaded faceplant!  After the recalibration all seems normal so I wonder should I will continue to ride it and consider this a one off or possibly a failing sensor. 

5 hours ago, Jkay said:

How often should I expect to do a recalibration?

I don't have the V12 HT.

I have the second batch V12.

My V12 has the revised driver board replacement, and the matching firmware.

Since then, it had not required any recalibrations. 

It had been some months now.

On 3/30/2023 at 9:22 AM, Jkay said:

After the recalibration all seems normal so I wonder should I will continue to ride it and consider this a one off or possibly a failing sensor. 

I assume you hadn’t calibrated the wheel prior to that, so I think it’s safe to assume that this was just a collaboration of the shipping and the many small bumps that may have finally tossed the calibration off to a point that it became an issue while riding.

I have a habit of calibrating after purchase and each update, and hadn’t had a need to calibrate any of my wheels otherwise.

Although, the 16S and MSX didn’t have a tilt adjustment, so I did calibrate them every now and then to adjust the riding angle. Not needed with my V11 though.

Also, I haven’t heard of a single mainboard issue that would’ve been sourced to a failed MEMS chip (the balancing sensor). So I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

Edited by mrelwood

Thanks y’all,  I have calibrated it a bunch of time just monkeying with it when I got it.  I rode it today and it went from -1 to about +3.  I am contacting eWheels Monday.  There is something amiss, and I really don’t have the experience/pain level to troubleshoot it.  I’ll let everyone know what the gurus at eWheels say.  

• Like 3

Both Jason and Eric have been helpful in my quest to figure out why my V12HT tilt angle seems to float up and down on steady state cruise, level ground and I am sure we will find a solution.

However, I did mention to them early on my wheel went full bow down til, and they sent me a YouTube video with a chap who had the same, and developed a theory, and I agree, this is the situation mine did the same.  One time only and I have tried to duplicate but no success (thankfully).  

.    And I thought I had seen every video on the V12 series!  

• 2 weeks later...

Update!  EeWheels sent a new controller board, installed in about 1 1/2 hours and it is just perfect now!  Possibly the old board (black V2) has a deep seated problem,  the new board rocks!  Much easier to ride now it isn’t a free agent!

I added a really nice set of pads by “EUC by Rob”   Etsy seller    I am a older guy and don’t plan on jumps or inverted riding, V12 needs something to help connect me to it without being totally committed.  As in day to day riding in town or around people.  These pads fit well, a little softer, and very high quality. Two paws up!

IMG_0789.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2023 at 8:30 PM, Jkay said:

Update!  EeWheels sent a new controller board, installed in about 1 1/2 hours and it is just perfect now!  Possibly the old board (black V2) has a deep seated problem,  the new board rocks!  Much easier to ride now it isn’t a free agent!

I added a really nice set of pads by “EUC by Rob”   Etsy seller    I am a older guy and don’t plan on jumps or inverted riding, V12 needs something to help connect me to it without being totally committed.  As in day to day riding in town or around people.  These pads fit well, a little softer, and very high quality. Two paws up!

IMG_0789.jpeg

The new board you received, how is it named (black V3, or something)? I want to ask a seller if V12HT, they sell, has this board. Does the board has a unique model serial number, that distinguishes it from the prior (black V2) board?

The. newly installed board is black, and the faulty board is black as well.  I really didn’t notice any markings that stood out. 

Edited by Jkay

Did the app set pedal angle value change by itself? That's odd. Do you use any third party apps that could be malfunctioning? I'm always a bit weary about a bug in like eucworld/darknessbot/etc to change wheel settings.

Some of these apps can change settings to values that aren't approved by the manufacturer. Like setting a higher max speed than allowed on Inmotion V8.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:49 PM, Jkay said:

The. newly installed board is black, and the faulty board is black as well.  I really didn’t notice any markings that stood out. 

Thanks. Maybe it is the same version of board, they changed the faulty one with a good/new one.

I only used the Inmotion app, early in the learning curve and didn’t need any more variables!  Apparently there was something wonky in the board (which was the black one). Since replacing the board it has been perfect.  Replacing the board wasn’t difficult, just a bit fiddly with a bunch of different screws of different types.  I took lots of pictures and about 1 1/2 hour done deal.