UStride’s shock failure

GothamMike

I have to say I wasn’t impressed, on several levels:

1) the ‘fix’ shown on the video is a great example of how absolutely NOT to repair a threaded component! Neither choice of tools nor ‘technician’s technique’ were appropriate in my view, and both the adjustable spanner and mallet are way out of the possible correct tool choice line-up!

2) its quite possible that the issue may have happened before Jediah received the wheel, and if so, I think whomsoever had the first inkling of the issue should have advised firstly the supplier of the wheel, before adding some sort of covering note explaining the issue for the notice of to whom it may concern/for the attention of subsequent test riders further along the way (basically to whoever it was being forwarded to);

3) looking at Frank Ellis’s YT video demonstrating a more thoughtful approach to acknowledging, considering and resolving the issue in his particular wheel, it appears that the design of the suspension is able to work itself free. Might this be reviewed, and/or possibly mitigated by use of some thread locking compound?

- If yes, why was thread lock not applied at assembly stage? It’s a $4k wheel, of some reputable quality, after all!

- If no, why was this not picked up and rectified by Inmotion at either testing or even at the design stage?

Either way, it also seems to me that the fine threading there is presently deeply suspect, and ought to be reconfigured on subsequent batches, so as to avoid this type of issue from recurring. 

Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by Freeforester
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GothamMike said:

I think any gas-filled could fail in a similar way. Given we are DIRECTLY ABOVE these shocks, a failure could impale a EUC rider.

For the Anglophiles: search ‘Corporal Jones : they don’t like it up ‘em!’

Edited by Freeforester

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, GothamMike said:

what if the shock failed UP instead of down.

There’s no route for the air spring to get through the top part. On the lower part it’s only held up by the thread.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, GothamMike said:

I think oil-filled shocks are better.

Don’t confuse springs and shocks. All suspension systems have both components (except V11). Springs are never filled with oil, shocks always are.

The issue happened because someone had badly damaged the threads, and didn’t use proper tightening or repairing techniques. A person who doesn’t know what they’re doing can damage any part.

The threading used is a standard thread for bicycle shocks and springs.