Is it safe to charge to 100% and leave it for a few hours?

rcgldr

I have a V8F and only charge it to 100% | balance about once a month, as I only ride about 50 miles per month. Most of the time I keep the pack around 76 volts (3.8 volts per cell). When I do charge to 100%, is it OK to charge to 100% and leave it at 100% for 4 to 6 hours?

6 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

is it OK to charge to 100% and leave it at 100% for 4 to 6 hours?

Absolutely! Leaving it for a few days is ok too, the effect is cumulative—the longer it spends at 100% the shorter the battery lifespan... but the reduction is small on a per-day basis. Recent numbers I saw were something like a 15% reduction in capacity if you let it sit at 100% for 3 months, that seems high to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Absolutely! Leaving it for a few days is ok too, the effect is cumulative—the longer it spends at 100% the shorter the battery lifespan... but the reduction is small on a per-day basis. Recent numbers I saw were something like a 15% reduction in capacity if you let it sit at 100% for 3 months, that seems high to me.

It depends very much on the temperature too - if you let it sit at 55°C in a hot car, at 100% state of charge, you can probably lose 15% in a day. At temperatures around freezing you will have lost barely anything after three months.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

It depends very much on the temperature too

I store and charge my V8F indoors in a sideroom | second entryway to our home. Temperature is around 70 to 72 F (21 to 22 C).

... only if it's exceptionally steep

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/21977-full-battery-down-hill/?do=findComment&comment=357972

On 2/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

I think it is a very tiny percentage of EUC riders that live on top of a ride route with a 15% grade. Most of us don't need to worry.
Respect the beeps!
Thankfully, there is an audible alert for pack overvoltage. If you hit the alarm, turn around and ride uphill for 1km, then continue back down.