New Bearings on s22 nightmare

Finn Bjerke

Im spend 10 work hours changing the bearings on my beloved s22, God I wish it was waterproof. Wet streets = DEAD bearings.

I can get the new SKF bearings into one of the motorcaps easily, but not the other side. Any advice ?   The bloody wheels makes CLICK noises so Ill to start over..

1) Is the CLCIK noise from a looose bearing ?
2) Is the CLICK noise from a misligned bearing?

ADvice greatly appreciated

Link

Edited by Finn Bjerke
error2
  • Like 3

maybe this will help with the knocking noise?

1,646 views Apr 12, 2022

Update 2: I fixed it on this motor via Loctite 641 (glue) on the hub-bearing interface. I isolated it there once I removed the screws from the motor covers by squeezing them to reproduce the noise.   yt_favicon.png • S22 Clunk Isolate...   It was the loose fit between the hub and the bearing on one side (that side cover could wiggled on/off without hammering or pressing but the other side was much tighter). I recently put it all back together after adding my own stater pins and beeping/ohm-testing all the wiring. The bearings remained pressed into the covers the whole time.

• Like 1

eWheels told me the bearings in the latest batches of the S22 upgrade Pro were suspect, so they replaced mine with a better bearing from another source for free. Will evaluate and post about them in the coming weeks after my wheel arrives.

50 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Im spend 10 work hours changing the bearings on my beloved s22, God I wish it was waterproof. Wet streets = DEAD bearings.

I now have knocking noises so I have to spend my weekend repairing a bad wheel with fake waterproofing. I need advice on how to get the f...... bearings into the wheel  caps. I dont have acces to a Hydraulic presser - I want it fixd, just a litle rain on the street and the bearings fuck up.... 

How to get them bloody bearings to go inside motor and stay where they should be ??

I dont recommend this wheel to ppl who are not happy with repairing - I dont recommend Kingsong to anyone who wants a good fair deal.

PS: My s22 had metalsplinters inside the motor, factory error dangerous and stupid.  Kingsong heard the strange motorsound and told me I need not worry.. Fuck em....

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

NEW SKF bearings are now in place, one side was easy to work with bearings in freezer, heatgun on motorcoverplate and it popped in easily, the other side took a lot of owrk using my homemade presser  --- I had a  KNOCK sound in the beginning with the new SKF bearings it  is no longer there    .... 

Rainstorm to morrow ..... maybe its better to take Veteran Sherman to work 12 km  ... we will see. My old car just died ...

So I'd certainly prefer to keep riding this wheel until winters end (no more salty roads), but the grinding noise has gotten increasingly louder. The wheel seems to perform as new still, but the noise makes me think I should replace the bearings straight away before riding again. Am I mistaken? I mean what should I be looking out for, or worried about, if the bearings start to really cease up? I imagine a spin test like this first video would be a lot less fluid correct?

So keep riding or replace bearings now?

Yeah sounds like one or both bearings needs upgrade. Youll need to freeze bearings and warm motor covers up with heat gun or in the oven at 80C (!) You might need a hydraulic press or better make a mechanic do it for you --- S22 is not diffuclt when you get to know it but upgrade the bloody chinesium screws in motor covers maybe also the bolts attached to axel.

Chinesium screws are a pest ...

Motorrcover screws are DIN 912  M4x12  please double check that https://www.dutyhook.eu/en/1926:m4x12-din912-a4

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the heads up Finn. I had a hell of a time getting those horrible axel bolts out when sending the motor in to get pinned, stripped heads and all that mess.  Thankfully they (RevRides) replaced all the cover screws and axel bolts before shipping out, so should be an easier time getting them out hopefully.  Hitting that area with too much heat always frightens me for fear of frying the motor wire.  Any tips on that?  Temp/time?  Shielding for the wire?

So I ordered up a couple bearings yesterday at the local bearing supply shop, where they send them out to get injected with a graphite lube that encases the bearings, the lube then dries hard.  I'm sure it's overkill but the guy claims they're proven to keep contaminants out for a period of 5-6 years.  We'll see..  https://www.micropoly.com/products/micropoly-filled-bearings.html

It's a 3 week wait, so I'd really like to take the wheel out on a few more rides in the meantime.  I'm sure it might draw a little more power having bearings gone bad, but the wheel seems to free spin just fine when powered off (just makes a lot of noise).  So what's the worst that can happen by riding it a few more times?  Complete seizure? 

Edited by vikingto

57 minutes ago, vikingto said:

So what's the worst that can happen by riding it a few more times?  Complete seizure? 

yeah, complete seizure. I have heard V11s that sound far worse than that and seemed to be rideable, ofc that doesn't mean squat to you. I'd just be careful!

• Like 1