Stuck gotway msx pedal rod

Ok so I had my wheel fixed by a guy in new york, recommended by Jason from ewheels. The guy fixed it and sent it back but didn't secure them safely so they fell through a hole in the box during transport, so I had him send another set. He sent me some begode rods. I pretty much had to really hammerer them in but eventually I got them 90% of the way in.

My tires flat now and I need to change my tire. I got one out but the other one is REALLY stuck. Everytime I try to hammer it out the vibration messes with the components inside and I see a spark.

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW I CAN GET THAT ROD UNSTUCK??

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

First off, welcome to the forum.

First step is to use penetrating oil like liquid wrench or aero kroil. WD40 as well. Saturate where the rods go through the pedals and the gap between the pedals and pedal hangars. Let the oil soak in for a while, then try to pound them out. Keep soaking and waiting.

After a while if that doesn't work you can try and press the rods out using a strong bar clamp and some round stock slightly small than the pedal rods.

Last resort is to cut the pedal and save the hangars. I hope this helps.

Can't the end screw be used to press out the rod?

Bottom it out, then unscrew it and fit a few properly sized thick steel washers or nuts in and screw it in again. Ensure you have at least 3-4 threads engaged before it bites. If you're not careful you can strip the threads. (grease the threads, if it's heavy then just add a very small amount of washers/nuts to maximize thread engagement)

Penetrating oil etc for a couple of hours. 

Also, the pedal arm is aluminum which thermally expands more than steel so by just warming up the arm and the rod you get a bit of clearance. 

Before using that rod again, try to find out why it binds and dremel/straighten it. It doesn't need to be perfect to be fine. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 6:26 PM, FlexArnold said:

Everytime I try to hammer it out the vibration messes with the components inside and I see a spark

What part of the wheel do you see the spark coming from when you hammering?

• Upvote 1