Begode T4 vs V12HT: Worth the suspension in the city?

Hi all. I have a v10f and I'm thinking of buying another more powerful, fun and safe but not too heavy wheel to use mainly around town. I think the best options are the T4 and the V12ht if the new updates solve all the problems.

Speed, power and range seem to me more than enough on both for someone like me. I weigh 80kg, don't do many km and don't want to go more than 55km/h. The weight is a little higher in the T4 but I guess it is not very noticeable going up a few steps. My doubts, which I think many people also have, are about safety and reliability:

-Surprise potholes (at night at 50km/h): the T4 seems safer to me but it is possible that the v12 can overcome them safely enough. Suspension comfort doesn't matter so much to me because I do 30min trips.

-Waterproofing: The v12 is clearly better but it seems that the T4 has improved over other Begode, such as the Master.

-Braking: I haven't used suspension wheels but I've read that braking is a bit slower with them. does the v12 really brake much better?

-Reliability and durability: The v12 is supposed to have better build quality and materials and since it has no suspension it has less possible breakdowns. But I don't know what the difference is in terms of miles they last without breaking down with urban use. do wheels with suspension really give that much trouble? Begode seems to be improving in reliability, is that so?

I think a lot of people are wondering if it would be interesting to have a small suspension wheel for urban use for the safety and comfort advantages it is supposed to offer, or is it better to stick with a non-suspension wheel for the time being. I think that if the Begode T4 guaranteed waterproofing and durability, it would be the choice of many people.

What do you think?

PS: Pardon my English, I'm Spanish XD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think you'd do well enough with either... consider the following though!

V12 is (finally) a pretty solid wheel. Other than WrongWay having problems with sudden acceleration dumping him, you just don't hear much about it anymore—and that's a very very good thing. Nobody knows why it suddenly accelerates, but it seems pretty rare. There have been more incidents than WrongWay's, but they are by no means a common occurance.

T4 is still relatively new, but is less and less in the conversation as well. This is usually a sign of product maturity, where problems aren't rising to the level of "I must tell the world about this". But it's newer, and at least in my opinion, still has a ways to go before it earns "buy it, no problem". A real downside to T4 is it, like Master, should not be cartwheeled... the design is such that the cast tray holding the motherboard is vulnerable to breaking. Like most all Begodes, you'll want to budget for aftermarket bumpers and fairings but if that's ok, it's probably tolerable.

I'd go with V12 myself, just because it has more of a track record. But if you're interested in suspension, it is in my opinion, quite a bit more pleasant to ride. Yes there is (potentially) extra maintenance, but not a ton. I tend to take my 16X out on shorter excursions that are on pavement more than my suspension wheels, and reach for suspension when the trip is going to be longer or involve dirt.

FWIW, a surprise pothole at 50 kph on a 16" wheel is going to mean your underwear will need to be washed, suspension or not. Suspension may save the day, but 50 kph is getting pretty fast on a 16" wheel... they're almost a bit too nimble at high speeds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you very much for your reply. It has helped me to get more clarification. 

I think that wheels have yet to emerge that meet the different needs. 

I think that in addition to leisure and sport, EUCs are going to become a more common means of transportation. Quality wheels will emerge, safe, with sufficient power and range, specific suspension for urban use and not too heavy, which will be equivalent to scooters in the motorcycle world. From the latest wheels coming out it looks like we have to ride around the neighborhood on a Gold Wing, a 500cc Ducati, or a Dakar KTM. My v10f would be like an old vespa and I want an XMAX (maybe the v12 is the closest thing).

I agree with Tawpie. The 50km/h pothole is going to be sketchy either way. The T4 might (arguably) be a bit more fun to ride, but it has a higher chance of problems. Probably not with the suspension though, but there have been issues with the displays and motors for instance. 
And I think you'll do fine without suspension coming from a v10f for city riding.

I was thinking on this because I had a similar choice albeit ks16x vs inmotion v12ht. I really liked the idea of the ht, but it supposedly isn't anymore torquey than the 16x. The 16x was a $1,000 (Au) cheaper for me and at this point in time most issues are dealt with. I didn't even have to do a firmware update - they're all done. You'll get a solid 70km real world range. 

I'm inclined to sit back and wait for faults in wheels to be fixed before I buy - the v12ht is in this category right now with the speeding up issue. This hasn't been acknowledged by inmotion yet. In a year or two I might look at T4 or S22pro or the yet to be released ks s16. Does the inmotion v12hs have the same problem as the ht? Apparently there isn't much difference in torque possibly due to heavier wheel and tire on the ht. The HS might be the other good option here?

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 1:02 AM, trailless said:

Forget what anyone else says, suspension is a game changer. I would never own another wheel without suspension, unless it's an mten4 or some toy wheel like that. 

I can understand what you mean, but I do feel like my V12 still has a very big part of my time in riding. There is something more raw about riding without suspension. 

That said, if you like riding fast, you really need suspension. I can agree with that 100%. 

The V12 with suspension would be amazing. So I'm really interested in the V14 (speculative name) to be officially announced.