V13 noob impression and my EUC journey

2disbetter

This is what I have seen with Inmotion as well, they are leading in competence of EUC design, engineering and manufacturing but even they have had fumbles that I think in other areas would have netted them harsher criticism if it wasn't for that the other manufactures in this space have had so many stumbles that it has dragged the whole space down.

Anyway I would suggest that you may want to ride the V12 to the point where you can comfortably throw it around in order to teach yourself what each wheel is capable of as I think they are going to have rather different characteristics from each other. IE it should serve you well to flesh these out to advance your riding skills.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

Fortunately keeping the V13 tame is not difficult at all.

How would you rank hard braking from 35+ mph between the V13 and the V12? Ditto for acceleration. 

Also, are you using stock pads, and what is your tire pressure? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, techyiam said:

How would you rank hard braking from 35+ mph between the V13 and the V12? Ditto for acceleration. 

Since I'm so new to this, I have not dared to push either wheel to anywhere close to their max acceleration. As for braking, so far they seem similar, BUT I am not yet using pads. (I have pads for both wheels) It was recommended that I learn the wheels first and then use pads, so that is what I am doing. 

Tonight however I am going to try doing some hard braking on them. 

What I can say is that even though the V12 HT really does want to pull, that the V13 just feels like it is always wanting to go faster, and it does it so effortlessly. The V13 just wants to go all the time. Very cool wheel. 

Edited by 2disbetter
spelling

15 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

As for breaking, so far they seem similar, BUT I am not yet using pads. (I have pads for both wheels)

I don't understand, how can you brake on the V13 without pads?

Without pads, the V12 HT should still brake well.

5 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I don't understand, how can you brake on the V13 without pads?

Without pads, the V12 HT should still brake well.

You mean because it is so big and heavy? Let's just say my thighs are sore from doing so many squats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

You mean because it is so big and heavy? Let's just say my thighs are sore from doing so many squats. 

No.

It's because there is basically no pedal sensitivity, and the rotating inertia is crazy high. Once you get going, it is not easy to stop without pads.

Did you not fall off the back while you were trying to stop?

EDIT:

Unless you held onto the front grab handle? That's pretty good if you could do that already.

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

No.

It's because there is basically no pedal sensitivity, and the rotating inertia is crazy high. Once you get going, it is not easy to stop without pads.

Did you not fall off the back while you were trying to stop?

EDIT:

Unless you held onto the front grab handle? That's pretty good if you could do that already.

Well I have been able to stop without grabbing the front handle. However, I can grab the front handle to stop, but honestly only when I have already slowed down significantly. I have not fallen off the back at all. But it must look like I'm doing body weight squats every time I stop. One other thing I like about the wheel is that because it is so much taller than the V12 when i squeeze the wheel with my legs it has a better effect on stabilizing the wheel during braking. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

One other thing I like about the wheel is that because it is so much taller than the V12 when i squeeze the wheel with my legs it has a better effect on stabilizing the wheel during braking. 

I see. I think I did something similar. 

I also rode my Abrams without pads initially. What I did was put on non-slip carpet tape along the top of the side panels where my knees can squeeze against in order to torque the wheel backwards. Since the wheel is tall, it gave me a lot of leverage.

That is incredible that you were able brake as well as your V12 like that.

• Upvote 1

Right, well that said, I wouldn't say I have experienced amazing stopping just yet on the V13. The main thing is that I CAN stop. But what I've seen Kuji Rolls accomplish in his video with regard to braking means I'm not worried about it either. Once I feel more comfortable with the wheel I'll start by adding the pads that Inmotion includes with the wheel. I, of course, want to get the fancier pads but would like to experiment with these first. Placement of the pads is crucial according to most people, and so I just want to make sure I'm learning it as best I can. 

My brother has a wheel recently as well, and I was really annoyed with how much more comfortable he looks on his wheel. What I found is that the road in front of my house, is brick based, and there are so many depressions in it, that the road is anything but flat. So he is riding on much smooth paved roads, and I am riding on uneven brick based roads. When I go to an actual paved street, I can totally relax then. So that has me thinking I am about ready to put the pads on. 

Amazing wheel. Kuji's video rocks.

But it isn't that long ago since there was a design fault with the V12.

So I'd wait for a while to see if no problems arise with the V12. After 6 months I'd take the plunge. That is, if I was in a country where euc's weren't outlawed....

21 minutes ago, tst said:

But it isn't that long ago since there was a design fault with the V12.

As far as I know they addressed the issue in the v2 V12 and the V12 HT. So far I have had zero issues with my V12HT. I REALLY like it. I have some Grizzla pads inbound for both of my wheels, and I would like to replace the pedals on the V12. Between the two I see the HT probably getting more use, but only because it is the one I think I can get through the sluice at work. If I could get the V13 through the doors I would totally use it. 

I really really like both of my wheels. I mainly think about riding them. I am frustrated in not learning certain things faster, so I keep pushing. The whether right now is not so great for it, but it has been a really good experience overall. I like the physical element of it to. You will get tired riding a EUC, and I like that. 

44 minutes ago, 2disbetter said:

As far as I know they addressed the issue in the v2 V12 and the V12 HT. So far I have had zero issues with my V12HT. I REALLY like it. I have some Grizzla pads inbound for both of my wheels, and I would like to replace the pedals on the V12. Between the two I see the HT probably getting more use, but only because it is the one I think I can get through the sluice at work. If I could get the V13 through the doors I would totally use it. 

I really really like both of my wheels. I mainly think about riding them. I am frustrated in not learning certain things faster, so I keep pushing. The whether right now is not so great for it, but it has been a really good experience overall. I like the physical element of it to. You will get tired riding a EUC, and I like that. 

Yes they addressed it. But a few people ate the concrete. I hope the V13 and other new wheels don't have design flaws. time will tell.

Specs wise the new wheels are very promising. The T4 is on top on my wishlist. I'm hoping for Inmotion to make a 16" HT suspension wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, techyiam said:

Good god... Why are you pushing speeds the euc should not be going and is illegal anyways?!? That shit needs to stop right here and now... And doing a greet disservice to all ebike community... 

Edited by MetricUSA

36 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Why are you pushing speeds the euc should not be going and is illegal anyways?!?

When people are speeding on a public highway, is it legal? Have you ask them why they do it?

Easy, why don't you start by asking yourself first.

I don't get it, why are you deciding for others what speeds electric wheels should be pushed to or not?

If you are riding in PA, USA, electric scooters are not street legal. So there are no chances that electric wheels are street legal. Which means, you are stuck at low speeds. 

Edited by techyiam

59 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

So what's your point??? The fastest a class 3 ebike can go LEGALLY is 40 km/h... An euc will never be allowed to go faster than that... 

On private property you can go whatever speed you'd like. And right now the EUC is in a grey spot, otherwise you wouldn't have a ton of EUC riders in Cali flying down public roads, etc. Likewise, I would never ride so fast if there was any possibilities of hurting someone other than myself. The wheels are incredibly stable between 25-40 km/h and I have no problems doing that. But to think I bought a V13 to JUST do those speeds is not rational. 

Safety is important, fear mongering not so much. Just saying blanket statements about never going fast only serves to prop up those already biased against the wheels, and encourages them, as well, to ban or enforce strict restrictions. 

Edited by 2disbetter
  • Like 2

Humans and their 'need for speed' is unavoidable. Most of us are sensible enough to pick and choose our moments to access those speeds. And some of us want the high speed capability for increased headroom / safety margin at lower, more practical speeds. Which is why I am mainly to be found pottering about town at 10 kph on a machine that is capable of nearly 10 times that velocity. And yet I still want that speed for those rare moments when I find myself alone on an isolated cycle path. And there's not much wrong with that as far as I can see, except legally, which is a fault in the law, not in the activity !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

V13 Suspension is nice but not really as good as s22 or Sherman S - The system is primitive ...

Curious, how is a Air-shock and hydraulic damper on both sides of the machine more primitive than a coil spring on one side and a hydraulic damper on the other or a coil spring over a hydraulic damper?

I am now able to ride in figure 8s and can ride really slowly with no problem on both wheels. I have also got pads setup on both wheels. 

What I can say now is that I feel far more agile on the V12 HT, but this is to be expected given the size of the wheel. I think the thing that surprised me was just how much more manageable the wheel feels after getting accustomed to it. 

The only advice I would give is that if you are mainly planning on riding on roads and cycle paths, you should under inflate your suspension by about 10-20 psi. For me, and my weight, I should have set the suspension to between 180 and 210 psi. What I am finding is that 160-65 psi is a much softer experience, that feels like it absorbs road bumps, etc. better. If soft is what you are looking for, then you should also set the wheel dampening higher. 

The other thing I am finding, is that wheel stability at higher speeds is a huge difference between the V12 and the V13. 

On the V12 HT you need to be very aware of everything you are doing at higher speeds (anything 40 km/h / 24 mph or faster) or you will get wobble. On the V13 it feels like you set things with your legs and feet before you lean, and then you are good. The wheel just pulls and pulls and you go with no wobble. It feels really stable during the whole experience. I feel far more confident riding faster on the V13 than I do on the V12 HT. 

While the HT is not light, it is clearly the more practical wheel in day in day out usage because of its size and weight. The top speed of 60 km/h / 36 mph is quick enough as well to be totally usable. You are not moving slowly on this wheel. In fact, because of these things, while I REALLY like the V13, for work purposes I am planning on using the V12 HT. 

I'll try to make a video or something of that experience with a GoPro I have. Guess we'll see. 

• Like 3

So I am finding that I have to FORCE myself to use the V12 HT. I mean the V13 just is so easy to ride fast. So stable, so steady. But the issue is that the HT is just way more practical. It would be the one I would use to go commute with. 

But I mean anything over 30 just seems quick and easy to get the wobbles in. I have yet to get that wheel to 50 km/h / 30 mph. But I want to. It is frustrating because I can do 50-70 on the V13 all day. 

I really could use some tips on how to get my progress to the same space with the V12. I do like the wheel a lot.

• Like 1

Yeah that’s exactly how I felt in the V13. It’s super stable and tempts you into higher speeds. Lol. I wish it was more agile in tight cornering and in tight spaces, but that would be asking for the laws of physics to change. I really like the V12 too, but it’s prone to wobbles at higher speeds and I miss the suspension. Some of the potential new wheels might hit the sweet spot for speed and agility for tight urban riding. 

• 2disbetter changed the title to V13 noob impression and my EUC journey