S22 tilt back with no beeps, during cold winter ride

vikingto

So went on a 20F (-7C) 8 mile (13k) ride across town yesterday with no issues, colder slow ride at the start then finishing with 2 miles of 35mph riding, with constant monitoring of wheel temp range of 35F to 48F. The wheel was wet from snow when I got to my destination, nothing unusual though so I just leaned it back on the kickstand in my folks 50F garage. 4 hours later I left with light snow on the ground making it a bit slippery, and the wheel kept leaning back without beeps at around 20-23mph (32-38k).

Not sure what might be going on here, but have a feeling it just didn't get a chance to warm up/dry out enough, as wheel temp started off a bit low at 35F when heading home again. It's been drying out in my 60F garage for 15 hours now, and I'm tempted to take it out for a cruise already but think I'll give it a good 30 hours before getting back on it. Never had this issue last winter with my 18XL, but that wheel didn't run nearly as cool as the S22. Any ideas as to what's going on here? Sorry I don't have more in depth data from the app.

S22 will throttle max speed when battery cells get cold, it starts when cells reach temperatures of 5c and then gradually throttles more as cells get colder, they made the throttling less in firmware 2.25.

The theory is that it's to prevent cell damage from hard Regen braking.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

S22 will throttle max speed when battery cells get cold, it starts when cells reach temperatures of 5c and then gradually throttles more as cells get colder, they made the throttling less in firmware 2.25.

The theory is that it's to prevent cell damage from hard Regen braking.

Btw, how long do you recommend waiting to let the wheel fully dry out after a snow laden ride? I mean that obviously depends on humidity level and whatnot. But I've seen some people say let it dry for a couple of days which isn't very practical.

Also with my 18XL I would always hit the axel with WD-40 before and after a winter ride. But with the hollow bore motor, I'm not really sure how one would protect it better other than opening up the motor and applying grease to the bearings. Already siliconed the s out of the motor cable/board connection.

2 minutes ago, vikingto said:

Btw, how long do you recommend waiting to let the wheel fully dry out after a snow laden ride? I mean that obviously depends on humidity level and whatnot. But I've seen some people say let it dry for a couple of days which isn't very practical.

Also with my 18XL I would always hit the axel with WD-40 before and after a winter ride. But with the hollow bore motor, I'm not really sure how one would protect it better other than opening up the motor and applying grease to the bearings. Already siliconed the s out of the motor cable/board connection.

Not sure why you think it needs to dry? But don't charge it if cells are low temperature let them warm up first, definitely do not charge if they are below 0c.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingto said:

But with the hollow bore motor, I'm not really sure how one would protect it better other than opening up the motor and applying grease to the bearings. Already siliconed the s out of the motor cable/board connection.

You don't even need to do that. Just lightly smear the line between the bearing covers and the hubs with a thin layer of grease, and perhaps do a thin bead of silicon around the outer perimeter of the hubs. 

I was out in rain today, but as usual my rucksack cover protected the entire top half of the machine. When I get home I pat off excess water with a towel, and then keep the machine upright while it dries so any residual water drains straight downwards. Other than that, and (in the case of the Master) blocking a massive hole next to where the motor cables enter the mainboard box, there should be nothing special you need to do after a wet ride, other than maybe remove some general dirt that has splashed up on to stuff. I imagine the S22 is better in that respect.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vikingto said:

Keep spraying that WD-40 on the axle - near the bearings and see what happens.. You know WD-40 destroys grease.

I have already heard a story from another guy who used WD-40. The same way. You can guess what happened.. (If you haven't had any problems yet - you were simply lucky, the rubber seal on the bearings did their work, not letting WD-40 inside.)

I use WD-40 to clean out old grease..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey thanks. So I wonder if the wd40 contributed to the axel weld cracking last winter on the 18xl. It was pretty nasty up in there, and seem to attract more crap to it. I was on the mindset of keeping the road salt off of the insides, but probably should've just used grease then.

Thanks for the heads-up

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vikingto said:

Sorry I don't have more in depth data from the app.

Bummer. I log every ride with EUCWorld just in case of something odd like what you had happen, happens. I would have thought that after 4 hours at 50F the wheel would be at a stable 50F and wouldn't be anywhere near the cold-battery speed reduction. Unless it was in a 20F draft. The logs might have shed light on what was happening (or might not, EUCW currently reports the highest temperature reported by the BMS, there are 6 thermistors in there and the ones that would govern low temperature speed limit would be the ones attached to the surfaces of the cells—they will likely be quite cool due to the location near the metal battery case).

I 'dry' my wheels vertical, not on the kickstand. Probably makes no difference with S22, but on my older wheels I wanted the snow melt to drain straight down. And I don't dry them more than overnight... if water got somewhere it's not supposed to be, I'm toast anyway unless I open everything up including the battery boxes.

Since I don't think you should have been in the low temperature speed reduction zone, and because it didn't beep (exceeding max speed usually comes with beeps), I agree with your 'let it dry for a while' approach. Just in case.

• Like 1