Need to cruise sustained speeds of 50mph for 30 miles

I need to be able to ride at sustained cruising speed of 50mph for 20 to 30 miles. Beyond that requirement, I’m looking for best safety and reliability. My budget is up to 5k. Which would you suggest?

i’m considering:

Inmotion v13 (?)

Master Pro

Electric bike? Not sure if legal or within budget for this speed  

a maxi scooter or motorcycle. Downside: lazy to do maintenance like oil changes etc.

41 minutes ago, Spaghetteh said:

That sounds exhausting to do on the regular NGL, hopefully you're talking round-trip but still. Despite Inmotion being the "more reliable" manufacturer, the V12 release did not instill confidence that the V13 release is going to be problem-free; hopefully they learned from their QA failures but you can never know with these companies. The Master Pro has the benefit of already having been released and so far without any major issues but Begode has objectively the worst reputation as far as safety and reliability go even if they've been doing better with their newer wheels recently.

With that speed and distance requirement, if I were you I'd start to consider a moped or motorcycle, though you'd need a special license to operate those legally at that speed which comes with safety courses and DMV visits as well as the extra maintenance as you mentioned. Still, today's PEVs aren't quite motorcycle replacements and IMO your requirements lean towards a motorcycle being the safer and more suited fit. Today's most advanced wheels may be capable of what you need but rider fatigue is real and that plays into safety just as much.

Yes good point about fatigue.  My commute is actually only 5 miles each way, although occasionally I go on errands and other trips. The longest semi continuous trip (short stop to pick up something) I’ve had to do so far is 13 miles round trip.  The 20 mile stipulation is to stay comfortably above 50% when I ride 10 miles. 
yes I do have a motorcycle license and I used to ride a sport bike. 

My commute is a 13 mile round trip, I do that on a V11 (used to do it on the 18XL). I think you are over spec'ing your requirements (speed wise) here BUT I can see how I could be wrong about that due to traffic differences between LA & NYC. I charge every two days but I could push that out to three days, I would just have to manage or budget it a bit. EUC's are like motorcycles, you can end up being fussy about small things when you ride them enough.

If you are really wanting to do highway like speeds of 50MPH, I think I would probably just stick with the motorcycle. I have a motorcycle but I stopped riding it a few years ago once I realized how much better the EUC is, plus unless I am willing to run red lights and lane split constantly (not legal in NYS but definitely doable if you go about it smartly), the EUC is faster in NYC. Or at least it is on the path I must take.

• Like 2

Sustained speeds of 50 mph for 30 miles. Wouldn't that be on a highway. Does this road have a bike lane on the side?

If I have to ride in traffic with other cars on a regular highway, I would get a motorcycle. I think it is still too early in the evolution of electric wheels to that. 

But if there is a bike lane, like our Sea-to-Sky highway here, it is probably doable if you recharge often. 

Additionally, both the Master Pro and V13 are too new to talk about actual safety and reliability. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 360rumors said:

The 20 mile stipulation is to stay comfortably above 50% when I ride 10 miles.

Ah that makes sense. I read your original post as you were planning to be going at least 20 miles at high speeds every day but your additional details makes it sound much more reasonable to be doing on a PEV. I agree with @Roadpower that it seems you may be over-speccing for your commute as well as the sentiment that sustained 50+mph for commuting just isn't safe or viable.

With that, most wheels released in the last several years are capable of meeting your range requirements with lower average speeds (20-30mph). I regularly use my wheels to run errands and commute to the weekly group-ride (~30 mile trip in total) and even though my V12 is capable of 40+mph I find myself most-comfortable averaging 25-30mph as I typically stick to residential roads and avoid riding with traffic.

I imagine LA's road infrastructure is quite different from Portland's but assuming routes through residential areas are available, your RS should be capable of suiting your current needs at residential area speeds. If you're looking for a little more headroom then I'd recommend considering a Sherman Max, or if you can hold-off a few months the Sherman-S (assuming the release goes smoothly). Maybe an EX20 though there seems to be some question over whether Begode is going to continue to supply parts for that model in the not-so-distant future.

Edit: EX.N's are also known to be ultra-reliable. But keep in mind that these last few months have been a bit of a suspension-rencessanise for EUCs and if you can hold off long enough for these newer wheels to be tested and deemed reliable (~6 months) you'll have a lot more options available to choose from.

Edited by Spaghetteh
  • Like 2

Thanks on my commute there are roads with 40mph speed limit, so cars drive at around 50mph. Parts of them have a bike lane and parts don’t. I’d like to be able to keep up with the speed of the cars if possible. I think this is safer than riding 20mph below the speed of cars on the side of the road. I believe the difference in speed increases the number of interactions so it is less safe imho. 

21 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Thanks on my commute there are roads with 40mph speed limit, so cars drive at around 50mph. Parts of them have a bike lane and parts don’t. I’d like to be able to keep up with the speed of the cars if possible. I think this is safer than riding 20mph below the speed of cars on the side of the road. I believe the difference in speed increases the number of interactions so it is less safe imho. 

I see. It isn't quite a highway, but it isn't slow either. One of the biggest issue I see right now is braking, and have enough acceleration at those elevated speeds to avoid potential accidents. I think the electric wheel rider may end up being basically a sitting duck. I would wait for another year to see how the Master Pro and V13 do on high speed roads, and see what next year brings.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Thanks on my commute there are roads with 40mph speed limit, so cars drive at around 50mph. Parts of them have a bike lane and parts don’t.

Yeah, I try to avoid roads like this but I understand that's not always the most direct or convenient way. Most roads in Sacramento where I used to live channeled into a big multi-lane 45mph road eventually and I'd have to go significantly out of my way to take a safer route through residential roads and parking lots. Still, a longer commute is better than a hazardous one IMO; gives you more time to enjoy the ride anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I see. It isn't quite a highway, but it isn't slow either. One of the biggest issue I see right now is braking, and have enough acceleration at those elevated speeds to avoid potential accidents. I think the electric wheel rider may end up being basically a sitting duck. I would wait for another year to see how the Master Pro and V13 do on high speed roads, and see what next year brings.

TBH, I'd just find an alternative route, stay on the shoulder (if there is one), or go 15-20 mph on the sidewalk in those higher speed areas. If the 40 mph road is only for a mile, then 40 mph vs 20 mph only saves 1.5 minutes.  Sidewalks have some risks, but maybe not as fatal as the street.

At 40-45, holding the entire lane is a necessity (if not nerve wracking), but they're risking some a-hole tailgating them or trying to pass at a close distance to show their displeasure for being slowed down to *gasp* the speed limit.  If it's 2+ lanes, then the rider is risking being in the blind spot of some jerk trying to pass a slower car on the r ight who's holding the fast lane.

There was some study claiming car drivers don't see bicyclists as humans, so they will bully them without considering that their actions drastically drive up the chance of a fatal accident.

For anyone trying this... definitely get nice bright flashing lights on your backpack / helmet / wheel, get reflective tape / clothing if you're riding at night, and get the best pads / helmet you can.  You want lights on your front side for cars turning into the street ahead of you.  Also get a mirror on your wrist or attached to your helmet to see behind you.

I'd also warn people about high mph 2-lane backroads where the only way to pass is to switch into the oncoming lanes.  We've had multiple accidents in my state where a passing car ran into a line of bicycles they didn't see coming the other way.  Drivers happened to be drunk in the two cases I'm thinking of, but could definitely see some sober person doing it too.

There's also the legality of it.  If you're hitting these speeds on 40+ mph roadways in an unregistered / uninsured motor vehicle, I can't imagine the cops will be happy about it.  If they're real jerks about it, they could give you a ticket for an unregistered vehicle, another for an uninsured vehicle, and I'm sure they could find some other infractions to go along with it.  They could impound your wheel and charge you for that too.

Edited by upL8N8
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 mph for 30 miles? Your batteries are going to be hot hot and you're going to need the biggest possible packs to get 30 miles. There was a EUCW tour of someone going flat out on a regular Master and IIRC they got 18 miles.

I think you want a proper motorcycle. Small one perhaps, but powered by dino juice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep - still a few years too early to expect an EUC to safely and repeatably do 50 mph for 30 miles. It's just too close to the max capabilities of the current wheels - you'd be in constant danger, you'd hammer the batteries every day, and 50 mph on something like a Master is bloody exhausting to maintain unless you have got some epic solution that seriously mitigates wind force. A motor bike in this case will be so much more safe and reliable and comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/28/2022 at 8:01 PM, chanman said:

Master Pro seems like the best single wheeled option but these mega wheels really make me question whether people buying them would be better served by a bike.

Served probably ..fun factor nahhhhh.master pro is my next purchase  🤘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In second place after the Master Pro, I'll suggestion the Veteran Sherman S.  Not as much range, but better suspension.  Master Pro suspension is described as garbage 3:45 into below video.

Edited by DanCar

9 hours ago, DanCar said:

In second place after the Master Pro, I'll suggestion the Veteran Sherman S.  Not as much range, but better suspension.  Master Pro suspension is described as garbage 3:45 into below video.

I like the Sherman S’ quality and suspension but top speed is 45mph. As for master pro suspension, I think a coil spring can fix it the same way as master. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, chanman said:

Master Pro seems like the best single wheeled option but these mega wheels really make me question whether people buying them would be better served by a bike.

I’ve wondered that too but my wife is against the idea. I’m also afraid of my son becoming interested in riding motorcycles himself 😅

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 12:38 AM, 360rumors said:

I’ve wondered that too but my wife is against the idea. I’m also afraid of my son becoming interested in riding motorcycles himself 😅

The least of your worry is your son riding a motorcycle. He might rebel and he might want to ride your EUC 50+ mph! After your son turns 18 (atleast in the U.S), he can choose to ride a motorcycle or not.  We can only control so much and the rest can work themselves out. Maybe you can show your son the epic fails of riding a motorcycle and an euc. Hopefully a rude awakening. Hope you find the right euc for you. Stay safe and ride on. 

Edited by Impoy47