RS19 "strange" behavior. Am I in danger?

I've been riding all day and on my way home, the tiltback started activating even at low speeds.

I looked down and noticed that only the RIGHT side of the LED strip lights are working and the power on/off "beep" is very faint. Everything else seems to be working fine. Am I am danger?

Edited by Vam Monaco

I only have experience of the Master, but as that is an evolution of the RS I will chip in with a thought, which may be right or wrong.

Are your battery packs wired in parallel pairs ? If so, one pack may have gone down, and that might explain why the firmware is trying its damnedest to get you to come to a stop and dismount even at the slow speeds. If that is the case, then yes you wouldn't ride that til you found out exactly what was going on.

Other people are better placed to offer you testing plans...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vam Monaco said:

I've been riding all day and on my way home, the tiltback started activating even at low speeds.

I looked down and noticed that only the RIGHT side of the LED strip lights are working and the power on/off "beep" is very faint. Everything else seems to be working fine. Am I am danger?

Losing your lights generally means something has gone wrong with the DC-DC convertor that supplies them with power. If the wrong thing goes wrong, the DC-DC convertor may be putting excess load on the rest of the power system causing overall low system voltage which looks a lot like a low battery.

I wouldn't ride it until you've figured out what's going on, and satisfied yourself that your batteries themselves are healthy. You may have a bad battery too, but hopefully it's just the DC-DC convertor.

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Losing your lights generally means something has gone wrong with the DC-DC convertor that supplies them with power. If the wrong thing goes wrong, the DC-DC convertor may be putting excess load on the rest of the power system causing overall low system voltage which looks a lot like a low battery.

I wouldn't ride it until you've figured out what's going on, and satisfied yourself that your batteries themselves are healthy. You may have a bad battery too, but hopefully it's just the DC-DC convertor.

Are DC/DC converter failures common enough to the point where I should always keep two in stock?

Do you have a link to that, because I couldn't find anything.

Edited by Vam Monaco

13 hours ago, Vam Monaco said:

What was the battery level / voltage at that point?

13 hours ago, Vam Monaco said:

I looked down and noticed that only the RIGHT side of the LED strip lights are working and the power on/off "beep" is very faint.

One of the lights acting up can be as simple as a badly plugged connector, but it’s hard to say if there is something else wrong as well. The beeper could be an indication towards that direction, but then again you wouldn’t be the first with a bad beeper/connector either.

7 hours ago, Vam Monaco said:

Are DC/DC converter failures common enough to the point where I should always keep two in stock?

Do you have a link to that, because I couldn't find anything.

I don't know how 'common' failures are, but do remember @Dosingpsychedelics recently had one go bad. I'm pretty certain he got a replacement from his reseller.