which eucs have the easiest time to balance horizontally?

The answer is not as simple as one might expect. On one hand, a small and narrow tire is the easiest to twist around in order to regain balance, yet it’s the most unstable at anything higher than walking speed.

Otoh, a 3+ inch wide tire with a non-knobby thread emphasizes any tilting input, which makes it turn sharply as you tilt the wheel, which you can use to regain balance. They will be the most stable, and have a natural turning behavior at speeds up to 30km/h or so.

Beyond that, a less stable wheel (= narrower tire) will feel more natural and will be nicer to carve with. But 3” tires are still the gold standard for fast wheels as well, since the stability is something you just can’t achieve with a narrower one. Besides, the availability of tires adds to the 18x3” = 2.75-14 = 80/90-14 size group being the preferred size for most modern EUCs.

That said, we might be able to help you much further if you’d describe your issue and current wheel in more detail. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

On one hand, a small and narrow tire is the easiest to twist around in order to regain balance, yet it’s the most unstable at anything higher than walking speed.

They're the most unstable at walking speed too. Small wheels are squirrely and hard to balance at any speed. I have no idea why people recommend them for newcomers.

Easiest to "twist around in order to regain balance" also equals, hardest to balance because it twists out of balance so easily.

It's not particularly helpful, but if you genuinely want to know which EUCs were easiest for LR balance, then look no further than the Q series by Airwheel, which achieved permanent upright stability even when stationary by having 2 tyres right next to each other !

Still available from Airwheel.net now apparently. I started my EUCing on an Airwheel X5, which was excellent to learn on (though only had the one wheel) and it was fantastically built and very robust, but pathetically weak by today's standards. I have no idea if that is true of them today...

I wouldn't recommend learning on one of these double-wheelers now - as you don't really develop the skills you need for all the other, better, single wheels !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Esash said:

They're the most unstable at walking speed too. Small wheels are squirrely and hard to balance at any speed. I have no idea why people recommend them for newcomers.

I wouldn’t recommend them either, but I have to disagree with the ease of balancing. When riding at slow walking speeds and having to stay stationary while the dog (not mine) reads their newspapers, a 16x2.5” tire is much easier to balance than a 18x3”. Much more unstable and squirrelly yes, but still easier to balance.

1 hour ago, Esash said:

Easiest to "twist around in order to regain balance" also equals, hardest to balance because it twists out of balance so easily.

Developing the skills not to over- or undershoot the twist are of course required for both. But once learned, a smaller one (up to a point) takes less effort.

For walking speeds and noodling while stationary, Mten can’t be beat. It has the ease of twist from the small diameter and great tilt reactivity from the 3” tire width.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I wouldn’t recommend them either, but I have to disagree with the ease of balancing. When riding at slow walking speeds and having to stay stationary while the dog (not mine) reads their newspapers, a 16x2.5” tire is much easier to balance than a 18x3”. Much more unstable and squirrelly yes, but still easier to balance.

Developing the skills not to over- or undershoot the twist are of course required for both. But once learned, a smaller one (up to a point) takes less effort.

For walking speeds and noodling while stationary, Mten can’t be beat. It has the ease of twist from the small diameter and great tilt reactivity from the 3” tire width.

so recommend one that is 3" tire width then

34 minutes ago, zetsui said:

so recommend one that is 3" tire width then

No ! Don't try and buy any wheel just because it might be easier initially ! Buy the one that suits you in all other aspects, and learn to ride it, easy or not !! :) 

Your skills will rise and adapt to whichever one you buy (within reason). For example don't start learning on something massive and heavy like a Begode Master Pro (although that is possible I'm told) but anything 18 inches or smaller will almost certainly be fine.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1