My Sherman Max cut out in the rain

BKW

For those of you who may be wondering, the Sherman Max cut out in the rain last night. This was the first cut out I've ever experienced on any EUC. It was raining fairly heavily and I was out for a while. Thankfully I was only mounting the wheel, heard a couple beeps and quickly it cut out.

What ended up happening was the rain got beyond the rubber power button and into the mechanics of the screen electronics. The rubber buttons DO NOT stop rain from entering, and because of this it did something that made the EUC beep and shut off. I noticed once I turned it back on I could not turn it back off unless I rolled it, heard beeps, and it shut off on its own. I also noticed during this time that it would turn on and off randomly at times, and the red blinking lights would also randomly turn on and of at times. My assumption is that the rain got mainly into the power button side, as well as the headlight button side (see a picture of sherman display screen to illustrate).

DIAGNOSIS:

I ended up taking a train back to my apartment. When I got back I opened up the SherMax thinking it may have been a motherboard problem. I put a fan on the motherboard (motherboard wasn't wet or anything). Then I took apart the display screen portion where water was inside, I took off the rubber buttons and had just the board of the screen in my hand. I put a fan to that, it dried, and to my surprise everything seems to be OK now.

CONCLUSION:

So it appears water got through the rubber buttons on the top and it started messing with the electronics of the display board causing the wheel to beep and turn off. I bought a plastic guard to put on the top of the wheel to further help water not enter that section. Should be here soon. I'll also test the wheel again tomorrow and fingers crossed wetness of the display board was the only issue here.

At the end of the day, I probably shouldn't have been riding the SherMax in rain that heavy, and I used to avoid rain altogether but wanted to see how it'd hold up I guess. It didn't. For the most part, the only part that got wet was the display screen that I'M AWARE OF.

Edited by ETAonTheEUC
  • Like 1

Wow, lucky you weren’t riding when it cutoff. I’m still of the mindset no EUC currently is water resistant enough to chance riding in the rain, hence I avoid it like my life depends on it. Good info in your post!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/5/2022 at 12:59 AM, UtahRider said:

I’m still of the mindset no EUC currently is water resistant enough to chance riding in the rain, hence I avoid it

While I agree with this philosophy. I do know a handful of riders that ride Nikolas & v12 in heavy rain/ snow with no adverse effects on the wheel. 

5 hours ago, Mayhem said:

While I agree with this philosophy. I do know a handful of riders that ride Nikolas & v12 in heavy rain/ snow with no adverse effects on the wheel. 

Yep, there are always outliers and every rider can decide for themselves if it’s safe, I’m choosing not to. Besides, riding while wet really sucks.

It's a bit sad that the display board has the potential to shut off the wheel if it gets wet. I get that it has the power button wires going through it, but still I'd rather see that a display board could be ripped off bare without the mainboard trying to delete the rider as well.

Yup. Won’t be riding in rain anytime soon again. Thankfully, I’ve rode the SherMax a lot since the original post. No issues. Which confirmed it was a wetness issue that got into the electronics of the display board section through the rubber buttons, causing things to get wonky and shut off.

There are two things different since this has happened. The top right side of the display is darker than it was originally (not sure if water was the reason or how I reinstalled the display board). Also, the light button is more difficult to turn on and off, but I think this is due to me reapplying the rubber button after taking it off.

So yeah, the SherMax is definitely not waterproof and it WILL cut out on you if you allow water through the display buttons while riding. Light rain doesn’t appear to be much an issue as long as water doesn’t enter the display electronics, but not worth it to chance anymore.

I have a plastic “waterproof” guard I bought from aliexpress coming soon to put over the display and buttons. If you think it might rain and you’ll be on your Sherman you could also try and put electric tape over the buttons to seal any water entry points.

It is very disappointing to hear. It is so easy to eliminate water ingress through these buttons by a very slight change of design. I am getting a Max next month and where I live never riding in the rain means not commuting on EUC. 

Having said that, hopefully it is still a "fail safe" situation? I mean, when the EUC is moving the power button should be disabled, shouldn't it, that the rider wouldn't face plant?

4 hours ago, That Guy said:

Having said that, hopefully it is still a "fail safe" situation? I mean, when the EUC is moving the power button should be disabled, shouldn't it, that the rider wouldn't face plant?

Sure, as long as you don't slow down to traffic lights etc...

On a serious note, it's really hard to say what the water ingress can and can't do. After all the display board is able to change the firmware settings etc while riding (isn't it?), so getting awkward intermittent behaviour from the display board could do all kinds of nasty things.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1