MS3V suddenly sluggish...

Weird thing on the wheel today, after coming up on nearly 5 years of perfect behaviour from that machine.

From the moment I turned it on today it felt weird and sluggish, and like I was having to lean far more than I previously have to get proper acceleration. It was different enough to make me get off the wheel a couple of times, inspect, and restart it, but the problem persisted throughout my regular town / shops ride. I can't specifically say it was doing anything wrong - it did free spins right up to cutout OK, and I did attain my maximum safe speed of 32 kph for certain stretches, but it was just much more effort to get it there than usual. Even trolleying it around in the shops felt subtly different, again like I was having to push slightly harder. I monitored it all the while on EUC app, and didn't seem to be doing much unusual there, and I didn't get any untypical beepings or other warnings.

Suspecting capacitor problems I got it home and opened up both sides to see if I could see anything amiss, and everything looks fine !

Voltage at end was a perfectly reasonably 64.5v, and I'd started with a full charge and only gone about 3 Km, and it did do it all perfectly safely, and smoothly, just felt like wading through treacle !

When off the wheel spins totally freely, so not a physical obstruction, and nothing rubbing anywhere I can see. Tyre pressure normal.

What might be wrong, do we think ?

I think it's safe as long as the other capacitor doesn't die or gets overwhelmed. So no crazy antics or braking... maybe? I don't really know.

I'm not 100% sure that it is a capacitor. I just don't know what else it would be.

Please don't assume I know more than I do:whistling: I merely remember people finding their wheels suddenly soft and then finding a broken capacitor.

I appreciate the input, and my experience is much the same as yours - I too have read enough and been in this long enough to suspect the caps, but unsure how to tell if they are not working when there is no sign of physical damage ! I think my multimeter is also screwed, so might need a new one of those to find out...

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I merely remember people finding their wheels suddenly soft and then finding a broken capacitor.

I think there was one time where it wasn't a cap, but I can't remember (or find) what it was.

A battery (not so many options, after all)? I think it's worth trying to disconnect each battery pack and have the wheel run on the other alone. The wheel should work as always, but you'll see what happens. Do it for nostalgia purposes before you retire the MSV3 (reminds me, I need to replace my same-generation ACM!!):)

Also, check 5 times you are not in soft ride mode.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Thanks 1