Lateral self-balancing

wstuart

Anyone else see this video of a self balancing EUC robot?

This got me thinking.  What if there were a small metal (tungsten) wheel mounted perpendicular to the tire of my EUC.  This balancing wheel could be accelarated to counter small side to side movements.  I wonder if this would make the wheel feel a little more stable....?

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(clarified title)

Something like this should help the new V13 when rider goes 140km/h speed. You know for the wind force, etc..:D

At least next big wheels which will go over 200km/h speed should have something like that. To help the rider lean forwards..;)

16 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

could just shift it side to side too, like a tightrope walker's balance pole

Oh yeah - it doesn't even need to be spin.  Although spinning at higher rates could enhance the counterweight effect more than a shifting weight.  Like if you have a shifting weight, once the weight is shifted all the way to the left or right, it can really help anymore.....

I'm thinking too that we would probably only need this at lower speeds like when mounting or doing low speed maneuvering.   At higher speeds it would probably feel like the system is fighting you..... just a guess

The rider could probably turn a knob to adjust how much stability is given.  The knob could maybe alter the gain in the system..?

Or maybe this is only something a brand new rider would need.  Like maybe you attach a thing like this to a wheel and have it be like training wheels for a new rider.   If so this could bring a lot of people into the hobby.....

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

Something like this should help the new V13 when rider goes 140km/h speed. You know for the wind force, etc..:D

At least next big wheels which will go over 200km/h speed should have something like that. To help the rider lean forwards..;)

Oh yeah - maybe it could be used to help with wid gusts or speed wobbles or even any sudden lateral movement from a bump.  Like maybe it could somehow sense the difference between a rider input and an external wind gust or bump?

I fly rc helicopters and the systems we use for stability do this - they counter accelarations from wind gusts and only allow for accelerations that come from the pilots input.  

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, wstuart said:

I'm thinking too that we would probably only need this at lower speeds

It would be most excellent when you're stopped... no pendulum skill required. Also great for crowded places, and making the transition to backwards. It would obviate the teetering skill.

And since it's a reaction system, the top 'wheel' could be small radius and long/wide and spinning very quickly so it'll fit.

Edited by Tawpie

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It would be most excellent when you're stopped... no pendulum skill required. Also great for crowded places, and making the transition to backwards. It would obviate the teetering skill.

And since it's a reaction system, the top 'wheel' could be small radius and long/wide and spinning very quickly so it'll fit.

And when something goes highwire at speed. You suddenly run in brick wall. Or turn into oncoming traffic and get run over.. (Maybe better not? It's already to high-tech for euc manufacturers. As wheels don't work as they should already..) 

IndolentBountifulHuman-max-1mb.gif 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

Most people ride at a speed where an EUC becomes stable and self-balancing, usually around 8 mph, less for wide tires like the 4 inch wide tire on a Z10. As speed decreases, the rider will have to make more balance corrections.

• 1 year later...

As I am late here but some of you may or may not know about the new self balancing motorcycles coming from Honda and maybe BMW. The prototypes are real and very cool. whether you think you would want one or not is personal of course. Many years ago I rode manual Uni's and later Onewheels and now I'm learning EUC's. I put about 5k  mi on my Onewheels and I still love them. I'm an older guy but still that doesn't matter to me. I bought a Begode T4 as my first EUC and I absolutely love the beast. I find that riding standing was pretty easy to get but getting to a seat position from standing is just too dicey for me.  I actually found that riding seated from the start was really challenging and I'm still learning. For me I think a modular reaction wheel module placed on the back above the rear kick stand would be amazing at slow speeds. I can visualize it ultimately being engaged automatically by a speed sensor at lets say 0~7mph or you could engage manually with a pressure switch on the front grab handle (I manufactured my own front handle which happens to work great for me). I'm actually a little obsessed with the reaction wheel idea at the moment. Imagine how cool it would be to pull up to a stop with all your buds putting their feet down and your just sitting there perfectly still with both feet on your pedals. I'm working on building my own balance assist module as I speak.

Honestly, I bought my T4 for mainly wanting to ride seated like a little portable on/off road pit bike.  I put a Surron dirt bike seat and a front grab handle right a way. I'm still learning more everyday. It's that speed of stability threshold that you have to get to riding seated that freaks me out a little. So far I've only fallen once from a seated position once for trying to go too slow, but it wasn't near as bad as any of my many Onewheel spills.

I built my first seated riding EUC from one of my old Onewheels and one of my old 20'' manual. uni frame/seats. It actually worked pretty well and was the reason I bought my T4. Did I say how cool EUC shocks are? Holy crap what a ride. I think this thing is one of the coolest toys of all time and I've probably had more than my share. 

Whether you want a stabilizer or not, I'll bet you their coming right around the corner. Personally, I'm not a little youngster or an acrobat so hell yea I would buy one right now if they were available.  

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Lateral self-balancing