Broke pedal on the King Song s18 this morning!?!?

RoboFixIt

Woke up Sunday morning here to find a weird cast iron metal piece on the hardwood flood, had no idea it was until I took the wheel out for a ride and noticed the pedal was broken.... I mean it just fell off on the floor? Why are we making high performance parts out of cast iron? It's ratted for 264lbs and I'm 210.

Just uploaded a video if you want to see the pedal:

Edited by ElectronxCycles
  • Like 1

Cast aluminum. Standard for the industry. Upsell to CNC is available for north of 200USD, but stock will probably always be cast.

CHEAP is the word. And it's mostly good enough.

(BTW, you have got to have had the absolute worst luck with wheels of anyone I've ever heard of. Please do not walk underneath any pianos as they're being hoisted into the 4th floor apartment)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

(BTW, you have got to have had the absolute worst luck with wheels of anyone I've ever heard of. Please do not walk underneath any pianos as they're being hoisted into the 4th floor apartment)

hah it seems like that lol well if I had the worse luck the pedal would of broke off while riding though but kinda lucky no one was hurt this time :D

• Like 1

There is one upside to cast, when it starts to fail it's usually visible. I know of several BG pedals that developed cracks (and several that broke).

It's something else for the routine close inspection.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Looking for something aftermarket that's made from a more durable material

Hextech, Nylonove and I believe Clark make replacements. Beidou may make their universal pedal for S18 but I haven't checked. I just put Nylonove on mine, not because of issues with stock but because they're fabulous looking.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

How about this?

I don't know... see the underside, how they're hollowed out? Hogging that out would be a huge waste of material and time—if I were to guess those start as castings that are finished with CNC.

If you're going to pay the money, you want something that started out as a forged block of aluminum, not a cast ingot.

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I just put Nylonove on mine, not because of issues with stock but because they're fabulous looking.

They do look great. However, did you buy them knowingly knowing that they are made from plastic? How do you like them over stock, beside the improvement in grip?

"NyloNove pedals are the only pedals on the market that are milled from polyamide (PA6), a construction plastic with high mechanical strength and high toughness. The material also has very good vibration damping properties, contributing to a more pleasant riding experience."

Yep... plastic. Haven't heard of any breaking yet, so knocking on ... wood?

I have Murland Fish inserts in my stock pedals—they're massively grippy. The Nylonoves are about the same, maybe a little less because Murland likes to put a lot of studs in.

I think I leapt at the chance to buy them because I've always wanted Hextechs for the 16X but can't justify the cost since 35USD of studded grip tape is still working splendidly. The Nylonoves satisfied the "gosh, that looks so sweet" urge.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

The Nylonoves satisfied the "gosh, that looks so sweet" urge.

But because the pedals are made from plastic, do they help at all isolating vibrations? Or that is just marketing hype? One thing for sure is that they won't corrode. Another thing is that they may last forever if they are never subjected to excessively large impacts.

Edited by techyiam

I don't think so but I also don't think the Ti pedal rods on my 16X did anything either. Folks on Shermies notice benefits from both Ti rods and Nylonove.

Being on the trail wheel, they'll have to get used to pedal strikes. Part of the deal when you play in the dirt.

(we kind thread jacked @ElectronxCycles, so I'll hush now)

• Like 1

I do worry that the OEM peddles are going to snap when I drop off kerbs. Im 10lbs heavier than you are, but slowly closing in on 210. Just out of interest does your suspension ever bottom out? I would expect the stress loadings on the peddles to be lessened by the suspension unless it hits the stops regularly. 

I can weld extruded aluminium but never tried cast, and it will be very difficult to do accurately/ effectively  on the hinge point as shown. 

I ordered these last April: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003135754704.html

They’re the honeycomb style, spiked and CNC’d; 

So far so good. They are about a 1/4” wider than the stock pedals and initially I clipped a few more things and pedal dragged on more corners than I had before. But I love the grip and have gotten used to the width.

The spikes are the star-nut head side up and I don’t think you can remove the spikes and flip them over with the sharp side up, but I haven’t needed to.