V11: Failure to power off normally, you may need to replace the battery

dwagelaar

Hello all,

Since June 28th my V11 starts up with "Please repair", and diagnosis in the app returns a battery failure: "Failure to power off normally, you may need to replace the battery. Please contact your point of purchase or email to us: service@imscv.com".

I've been in contact with the seller ever since, uploaded logs, screenshots, and video's. There's not much to see in the app: left and right battery voltages are mostly the same (at most 0.1 volt difference). Occasionally, there's +- 2 volts difference between them, and whenever that happens, the firmware will switch off the lower voltage battery during riding until left and right voltages match again. Also, sometimes the voltage readout on battery 2 (right side?) fluctuates rapidly +- 1 volt up and down. After resetting the firmware, the startup error is gone, only to reappear after about 2 minutes. I've been told this issue will be fixed in a next firmware, and my wheel does not need to be fixed.

Are there any other people having this issue? I do hope it's resolved soon, because an "always on" alarm is the same as having no alarm...

• 5 weeks later...

This issue has remained gone for a couple of weeks now. At the same time, I've noticed a change in the behaviour of the bluetooth connectivity: before, if I switched off the wheel, I lost bluetooth connection shortly after, but then a couple of minutes later I could reconnect without touching the wheel and bluetooth would remain on forever after that.

Now, bluetooth switches off shortly after switching off the wheel, as before, but this time bluetooth does not come back on after a few minutes: it stays off. A short press of the power button will give me another 30 seconds or so of bluetooth connection, but then it switches off again and remains off. When powering on the wheel the next day, I also notice I no longer have the few percent of battery drain I used to have before: battery level remains at what I left it at the day before.

The fact that two things changed at the same time here (battery error gone, bluetooth behaviour changed) leads me to suspect that one has something to do with the other. Whenever the bluetooth module is switched on, it continuously measures battery voltages on both batteries (app shows this). Whenever there's a "blip" in the measurement of one of the battery packs (voltage moves up and down rapidly by +- 1 volt for a few seconds - could be either battery pack), it triggers the battery warning, and remembers that for about 24 hours. Occasionally, the battery error would disappear by itself - it hadn't seen the battery blip in the last +- 24 hours - only to reappear a short while later. If you would constantly measure, odds are much greater to find this condition than when you were to measure only during powered on state. Perhaps it doesn't even occur in powered on state, with the batteries being under (more) load. Perhaps the batteries never had voltage fluctuation, and it is a firmware bug that only triggers in low power mode. In any case, the battery warning has never come back since this - spontaneous - change in behaviour, and it appears that the battery has always been fine.

• 1 year later...

I'm now having the same issue. 

I turned it on and there was a voice announcement sounding like "please prepare" and a red LED next to the battery indicator.

I connected via the app to see if there was more information. I saw that a new firmware is available, so I went for that straight away: same problem. Factory reset via app: same problem. My V11 is some 3 years old, but I barely ride it, since I prefer the KS18S. If the battery really has a problem, this can't be normal.

How did the story end for you?

Screenshot_20231028_171952.jpg

IMG_20231028_194801.jpg

Every now and then I get this error message, but in my case it is actually caused by the bluetooth module not switching off within 5 seconds (check when the inmotion app loses connection). The bluetooth module does the voltage monitoring of the batteries, but the actual measurement is done by another controller (board or motor?). As the other controller switches off, the battery voltage reading drops from the perspective of the bluetooth module. The bluetooth module then registers this as a battery error, and will remember it for 24 hours.

The error can be removed immediately by resetting the wheel (hold power button for 30 seconds - speaker will give slight pop after 24 seconds to indicate that the reset has been done). I've learnt to live with this - the V11 just isn't as reliable as the V8.

Edited by dwagelaar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Compare and see if you guys are on the same software version.

I'm of the mindset that if there isn't a problem, then don't update the firmware. It's a tricky subject because supposedly a newer firmware with more safeguards (and errors messages) is safer to ride.

If someone has ridden an older software version for a crazy mileage like 30.000km and is still going strong I'd use that over the latest one if I'm getting lots of errors.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:42 AM, alcatraz said:

Compare and see if you guys are on the same software version.

I'm of the mindset that if there isn't a problem, then don't update the firmware. It's a tricky subject because supposedly a newer firmware with more safeguards (and errors messages) is safer to ride.

If someone has ridden an older software version for a crazy mileage like 30.000km and is still going strong I'd use that over the latest one if I'm getting lots of errors.

Driver board: v4.2.21

HMIC board: v1.4.22

BT board: v1.3.3

As there had been battery safety issues with older firmwares, I tend to stay on the latest version. See also:

• Like 1