Loud horn and turn signal

I'm currently riding a InMotion V11 and loving it.  I try to stick to the trails, but there is inevitably walkers on the trail with headphones in who don't hear me coming. I use EUC world and have the loudest horn sound I can find, but people still can't hear it. 

I'm thinking of getting this wireless horn/light combo. I was going to fit the remote onto my wrist guard so I could signal and beep as required.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004536902230.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.559438da7lE0sf&mp=1

I feel like this is a techie enough option to be inline with the EUC style. It states 110 dB which I hope is loud enough. I see other people use air horns which are definitely loud enough, but for me they are not cool enough.

Edited by Chrispy8
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ooh that looks cool :) I have been looking for a hi-tech alternative to the rather limp and old-school finger bell I use at the moment on all the local cycle paths, and usually my searches come up empty ! I will say this for the old-school way - people really do take notice of a traditional ding-type bell, which they mostly seem to be able to hear even above headphones - far more than they do the beeps I sometimes trigger on the Gotway.

110db (depending on what db scale that is, and how far away it was measured from) is probably enough to alert everyone in a 2 mile radius you are coming, and may scare old ladies you approach from behind half to death, so maybe if you can turn it down a bit, might be worth a go at lower levels first !!

Do let us know how you get on !

CBR

Edited by Cerbera

Actually - I might just plump for this one without the tail light, especially if it actually is 1 pence in price !!

Ah nuts - when I logged in, it was £4.65, so took a punt anyway...

Edited by Cerbera

Hey wow! That's a crazy low price, almost seems too good to be true. I'm gonna add it to my cart just for fun.

Yes I agree that most people seem to acknowledge the old school "ding" of a bell much more than weird beeps. We'll just need to train them on the new "get outta my way" sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L318LDX/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A2H27PGJZRASMD&psc=1 I carry this one on one side pocket of my backpack, fixing the wired button to one of the straps; it is loud as motorcycle horn! Also has 2 remote wireless, works like a charm

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 5:10 AM, Mauricio said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L318LDX/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=A2H27PGJZRASMD&psc=1 I carry this one on one side pocket of my backpack, fixing the wired button to one of the straps; it is loud as motorcycle horn! Also has 2 remote wireless, works like a charm

That’s the same model I use as well as most of the riders in town. It’s great! I’ve had two different horns that were actually louder, but because of the unfamiliar electric sounds. Most people didn’t associate it with anything and barely noticed it with all the other city noise. Because that version actually sounds like a car horn people will respond better. I also carry a little bike bell for trails and a polite “I’m coming up behind you” rather then the crapping your pants alternative. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

because of the unfamiliar electric sounds. Most people didn’t associate it with anything and barely noticed it with all the other city noise

I have experienced this too with the recommendation I suggested above [and currently use] and thats in a rural location. I think for busy roads then the Model @Mauricio suggests is a great choice. One I will look into too. 

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

I also carry a little bike bell for trails and a polite “I’m coming up behind you” rather then the crapping your pants alternative

I have tried the different approaches using voice, saying nothing, pressing buzzer etc and all seems to startle folk or with the buzzer just initially ignored no matter how loud it is. The solution for me has been to play music at a medium volume which seems to work best to announce my presence.  I don't like playing music every time I ride and appreciate that some people may get annoyed by it. But it seems to work well. A little bike bell would be an option too. 

3 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I have experienced this too with the recommendation I suggested above [and currently use] and thats in a rural location. I think for busy roads then the Model @Mauricio suggests is a great choice. One I will look into too. 

I have tried the different approaches using voice, saying nothing, pressing buzzer etc and all seems to startle folk or with the buzzer just initially ignored no matter how loud it is. The solution for me has been to play music at a medium volume which seems to work best to announce my presence.  I don't like playing music every time I ride and appreciate that some people may get annoyed by it. But it seems to work well. A little bike bell would be an option too. 

Yeah after buying and trying two separate electric horns with various different sounds, I came to the conclusion that it’s about what people are conditioned to respond to. Pavlov’s public I guess. I do music a bunch too, but it depends on the time of night/day and the environment for me. I’ve found the bike bell good for alerting rabbits as well during my many rural routes. I do NOT want to nail one of them......🐰🕳🐰🕳

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 6:29 AM, Chrispy8 said:

I see other people use air horns which are definitely loud enough, but for me they are not cool enough.

Would this be cool enough?

A familiar sound at 165 dB would get everybody's attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I have this and purchased here on  Amazon. It's pretty loud and i just wrap it around my middle finger or on my flexmaster and press the button. It'spretty loud IMO.. I use it at every stop sign/ light and sound off just to be heard and notice.. 

In case it didn't show the url...

LESOVI Electric Bike Horn Cycling Alarm Bell,Scooter Horn,Adjustable 80-130dB, IPX6 Waterproof Bike Alarm Bells Anti-Theft Vibration Alarm Ring for Mountain/Road Bike/Scooters, USB Rechargeable https://a.co/d/dLgbUvB

• Like 1