Suggestions for a first EUC, bigger guy with a twist

I've done a lot of searches, here and on yt. 6'2" 240lbs, yes I'm a big dogger but in relatively good shape. Haven't really seen this question posed. Looking to get a wheel to learn on that will handle my weight, but something that my wife 5'3 120 could ride after (and learn on). Like some of my other hobbies not sure she will ride but I am ever optimistic. If not, maybe my son will try it out. I would then buy another wheel and will cross that bridge when I come to it.

In the spring we're looking to do a long, several month, RV tour of the southern states before we move and head to new jobs. I'd like something we could ride from the RV spot to the beach or wherever, most likely not a ton of miles away. We're in our 40's have motorcycles, snowboard etc. Not looking for anything aggressive but my vision is something that will get us to the beach 5miles away and back and be good for her to do so once we've both learned.

So far my thoughts have been the 16s, 16xs, Tesla 3, Inmotionv10. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I would recommend the 16X for your RV. it’s light enough to throw in the rv great to learn on. Has a nice trolley handle.

It’s what I throw in our RV. The Sherman is to big to put anywhere safe.

Our next trip is a family get to gather with all the grandkids there, I will be taking all my wheels along for that weekend. 
I made a box that holds all 4 wheels on the rear hitch.

back to your question I have taught 8 different people on the 16X , one as young as six years old. 
HAPPY CAMPING 

you CAN do it, I’m looking at 70 ahead of me, been riding 4 years 

CHEERS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Bad Ron said:

You may be selling your yamanator,

I’m down to one bike left.

I have a couple still haha. My son has two and would have 10 if I agreed to store them... Thank you for the response! Would the 16XS work or should I get the 16x?

• Like 1

Could also check 18l or 18xl. Same weight as 16xs and 16x. (18 is more of a cruiser - asphalt, streets. 16 is more off-road friendly.)

I would not go 16s. Sure it will be easier to learn on. But after you have learned (2 weeks max..) You will want something faster, (30kph is the real max speed you will want to ride 16s.) Also 30kph is kinda slow.. You will have "less" safety margin riding at 35kph, because you would be riding wheel max speed. So said limits - fastests way to get a face plant/cutout.

Like saying goes - if you want to ride 40 speed, buy a wheel which can do 50 speed. :D 

Also if you plan getting 16xs - I highly recommend getting 16x (16XS has 1 battery pack vs 16X has 2 packs.) Go check how much 1 battery pack costs.. You will get better deal buying 16X. (Also if that 1 battery pack suddenly "dies", you will fall on your face!) 2 packs - better, safer. 

In real life you won't notice the 4kg difference. :) 

Your best options would be 18XL or 16X. Highly recommend choosing between them. (Also you mentioned 16xs.. 16X is better.)

Some helpful info lower:

16X real top speed is ~45kph not 50kph! (Same as 16xs)

18xl can hold more weight also, if you wanted to know.. I'm 280lbs btw.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Yamanator said:

So far my thoughts have been the 16s, 16xs, Tesla 3, Inmotionv10. Any suggestions?

I have a Tesla 2 and I think it's pretty good for a beginner wheel. You won't outgrow it quickly.  Tesla 3 has longer range, higher pedal clearance, a helpful LCD display, hollow motor, so it's even better.

I tried inmotion v10 once and really liked it. It felt very balanced and more stable than my Tesla.

25 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I have a Tesla 2 and I think it's pretty good for a beginner wheel. You won't outgrow it quickly.  Tesla 3 has longer range, higher pedal clearance, a helpful LCD display, hollow motor, so it's even better.

I tried inmotion v10 once and really liked it. It felt very balanced and more stable than my Tesla.

How do you like it compared to the S18? Is it something my wife could grow in to as well?

44 minutes ago, Funky said:

Could also check 18l or 18xl. Same weight as 16xs and 16x. (18 is more of a cruiser - asphalt, streets. 16 is more off-road friendly.)

I would not go 16s. Sure it will be easier to learn on. But after you have learned (2 weeks max..) You will want something faster, (30kph is the real max speed you will want to ride 16s.) Also 30kph is kinda slow.. You will have "less" safety margin riding at 35kph, because you would be riding wheel max speed. So said limits - fastests way to get a face plant/cutout.

Like saying goes - if you want to ride 40 speed, buy a wheel which can do 50 speed. :D 

Also if you plan getting 16xs - I highly recommend getting 16x (16XS has 1 battery pack vs 16X has 2 packs.) Go check how much 1 battery pack costs.. You will get better deal buying 16X. (Also if that 1 battery pack suddenly "dies", you will fall on your face!) 2 packs - better, safer. 

In real life you won't notice the 4kg difference. :) 

Your best options would be 18XL or 16X. Highly recommend choosing between them. (Also you mentioned 16xs.. 16X is better.)

Some helpful info lower:

16X real top speed is ~45kph not 50kph! (Same as 16xs)

18xl can hold more weight also, if you wanted to know.. I'm 280lbs btw.

I really can't find much info about the xs compared to the x except that the xs has only one battery pack. The reason I was considering that was because my wife would take the wheel after and it would be lighter for her. But it's a good point that 9 pounds probably isn't a deal breaker. 

6 hours ago, Yamanator said:

I don't know about 16s now, but 3 years ago when I owned one it was a pain. The build quality on this thing just wasn't good enough. It may be rated as "150 kg" but nobody in China actually battle tested it at that weight.

And the ride stability on 16s is way worse than on a 18'. Way easier to faceplant on the same pothole with a smaller wheel.

IMO 16 inches are not a good fit for a heavy rider.

I'd definitely opt for an 18 inches instead. KS18XL and Gotway/Begode Msuper X/RS are both good choices.

44 minutes ago, Yamanator said:

I really can't find much info about the xs compared to the x except that the xs has only one battery pack. The reason I was considering that was because my wife would take the wheel after and it would be lighter for her. But it's a good point that 9 pounds probably isn't a deal breaker. 

If wife takes it and she doesn't want to go faster than 30kph speed. (Regular bike speed.) Then the 16s would be great for lightweight rider. My old man 155lbs uses it daily for job riding. For slower riding it's great.

I also learned on 16s. :D But for my weight and needs 16s was simply to "small" literally every possible way. :D If you are giving it to wife 100% later, then sure get something lighter. My old man even cries that my 18xl is TOOOOO heavy.

XS is the same X. Just with one battery pack.. (As i mention 1 pack is kinda bad.)

10 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

I don't know about 16s now, but 3 years ago when I owned one it was a pain. The build quality on this thing just wasn't good enough. It may be rated as "150 kg" but nobody in China actually battle tested it at that weight.

And the ride stability on 16s is way worse than on a 18'. Way easier to faceplant on the same pothole with a smaller wheel.

IMO 16 inches are not a good fit for a heavy rider.

I'd definitely opt for an 18 inches instead. KS18XL and Gotway/Begode Msuper X/RS are both good choices.

He's giving the wheel to wife ~100lbs later. (I forgot that part.. :D) As a learner wheel 16s will do the job. Later he can buy for himself a "bigger" wheel.

Also 3 years ago - what color was the inner shell plastic? We got the 16s V2 now..

How many "Wh" did your wheel have?

Edited by Funky

7 minutes ago, Funky said:

He's giving the wheel to wife ~100lbs later. (I forgot that part.. :D) As a learner wheel 16s will do the job. Later he can buy for himself a "bigger" wheel.

As a counterargument my 100lbs sister can ride the MSX. ;)
Msuper X/MSP are very narrow, narrower than Nikola. So it won't be that much of a problem for a small rider anyway.

I agree, 16s will be a good learner. Just keep in mind that there are way better wheels every time you curse it out. B)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

As a counterargument my 100lbs sister can ride the MSX. ;)
Msuper X/MSP are very narrow, narrower than Nikola. So it won't be that much of a problem for a small rider anyway.

I agree, 16s will be a good learner. Just keep in mind that there are way better wheels every time you curse it out. B)

Heck my 10 years old sister could ride sherman max. :D We are talking about weight..

If i didn't need to lift my wheel, i would buy the best of the best. EX20S seems sexy and well built. :D(-water protection.) Doh the weight kills it for me. Try carrying that weel to 3rd floor 2-4 times a day. Jesus. :innocent1:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Also 3 years ago - what color was the inner shell plastic? We got the 16s V2 now..

How many "Wh" did your wheel have?

That is my intention. Would the one battery pack on the XS be safety bad? or just performance bad? If you're learning and not pushing things.

2 hours ago, Yamanator said:

That is my intention. Would the one battery pack on the XS be safety bad? or just performance bad? If you're learning and not pushing things.

For your size and weight, the 16x, 18xl or RS Torque (my preference) would be the minimum if you don’t want to worry about over power cutoffs. The others you mention are safe for lighter riders (175 lbs or less) if you want to ride at any meaningful speed and up hilly terrain, sand, dirt trails, etc., get the bigger battery and motor. The key is to get one and start your riding adventure. You’ll need a good month of practice to safely ride around traffic and pedestrians. Don’t skimp on gear either. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yamanator said:

You also have a wheel Worth more to resell with two battery packs. I have two granddaughters six years old that’s probably only 40 pounds riding the 16 X

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yamanator said:

Thank you for the response! Would the 16XS work or should I get the 16x?

As an owner of a 16XS that promptly added a second battery, I suggest you go straight to the 16X. The XS only has 1 battery pack vs 2 on the X, and that means that the XS is limited in current capabilities... and current = ability to keep a rider upright. Heavy riders need more current, simple as that.

I added the second battery to my XS because it was my plan to do so all along if I liked riding, and the added battery pack adds safety margin because it doubles the ability of the wheel to supply current. I do dearly love my 16X, it has earned a place of honor in my stable and shan't be sold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Yamanator said:

I already mentioned in my first post. 1 pack - if it dies suddenly wheel has no "backup", so you will faceplant into ground. (EUC isn't like bike, scooter, skateboard. If euc dies it loses all balance and you will fall.) Also 2 battery packs gives more safety, like @Tawpie said.

6 hours ago, UtahRider said:

For your size and weight, the 16x, 18xl or RS Torque (my preference) would be the minimum if you don’t want to worry about over power cutoffs. The others you mention are safe for lighter riders (175 lbs or less) if you want to ride at any meaningful speed and up hilly terrain, sand, dirt trails, etc., get the bigger battery and motor. The key is to get one and start your riding adventure. You’ll need a good month of practice to safely ride around traffic and pedestrians. Don’t skimp on gear either. Good luck.

I'm 280 lbs and i learned also on 16s. So as "learner" wheel it will be fine. (If he doesn't jump curbs, etc..) After ~10-30days when he has learned, he can give the 16s to wife and buy himself something bigger.

As the wheel goes to wife, he needs to think more about "her" needs. Because the wheel will be hers. :D <<< Logic thinking no?

I would for sure hate to get heavy as duck wheel, if i need to carry it around and would not need the speed/range that it offers. It would be like buying sports car and riding it at 50kph speed.. You are wasting it. :D 

I would ask the wife to lift something that weights ~17kg or ~24kg. Will she notice big difference? 16s vs 16x And can she even lift that???

Edited by Funky

8 hours ago, Tawpie said:

As an owner of a 16XS that promptly added a second battery, I suggest you go straight to the 16X. The XS only has 1 battery pack vs 2 on the X, and that means that the XS is limited in current capabilities... and current = ability to keep a rider upright. Heavy riders need more current, simple as that.

I added the second battery to my XS because it was my plan to do so all along if I liked riding, and the added battery pack adds safety margin because it doubles the ability of the wheel to supply current. I do dearly love my 16X, it has earned a place of honor in my stable and shan't be sold.

11 hours ago, Big Bad Ron said:

You also have a wheel Worth more to resell with two battery packs. I have two granddaughters six years old that’s probably only 40 pounds riding the 16 X

Thank you, now to find a place that has one in stock. Unless ewheels is generally pretty spot on with their backorder time frames...

5 hours ago, Funky said:

I'm 280 lbs and i learned also on 16s. So as "learner" wheel it will be fine. (If he doesn't jump curbs, etc..) After ~10-30days when he has learned, he can give the 16s to wife and buy himself something bigger.

As the wheel goes to wife, he needs to think more about "her" needs. Because the wheel will be hers. :D <<< Logic thinking no?

I would for sure hate to get heavy as duck wheel, if i need to carry it around and would not need the speed/range that it offers. It would be like buying sports car and riding it at 50kph speed.. You are wasting it. :D 

I would ask the wife to lift something that weights ~17kg or ~24kg. Will she notice big difference? 16s vs 16x And can she even lift that???

Yes spot on, logic haha. She is pretty strong and fit so I don't think the extra weight will matter for her. But good to know that I could learn on the 16s as well and that may be the better option honestly.

56 minutes ago, Yamanator said:

Yes spot on, logic haha. She is pretty strong and fit so I don't think the extra weight will matter for her. But good to know that I could learn on the 16s as well and that may be the better option honestly.

If you/she doesn't need to carry it "much" at all, then go get 16X. (By "carrying" i mean like carying to 3rd floor 2-4 times a day.) Then weight is kinda meaningless. As most places you can simply "push" the wheel by handle. As you are pushing it around you don't notice any weight. I can push my 18xl around with 1 finger.

Weight only comes in play if you got many stairs, can't push it somewhere.. (Sure learning will be little bit longer - more weight to learn controlling with one leg.) But in my mind worth all the trouble. :D 

PS. When you are learning put cardboard box around wheel. Or simply duct tape  shower-mat around the wheel. It will protect it from drops.. Or learn in grass. Best learning place would be those play places with "rubber" soft ground.

2 hours ago, Funky said:

If you/she doesn't need to carry it "much" at all, then go get 16X. (By "carrying" i mean like carying to 3rd floor 2-4 times a day.) Then weight is kinda meaningless. As most places you can simply "push" the wheel by handle. As you are pushing it around you don't notice any weight. I can push my 18xl around with 1 finger.

Weight only comes in play if you got many stairs, can't push it somewhere.. (Sure learning will be little bit longer - more weight to learn controlling with one leg.) But in my mind worth all the trouble. :D 

PS. When you are learning put cardboard box around wheel. Or simply duct tape  shower-mat around the wheel. It will protect it from drops.. Or learn in grass. Best learning place would be those play places with "rubber" soft ground.

Ok, nope no large amount of steps. All good advice, did not think about the protection. Thank you.