RS HT/HS, Nikola AR +, KS S18, or V12 HS/HT for first EUC?

Right now I'm contemplating getting a used wheel. So far I've found:

MSP HS - $800, ~50miles, comes with cover and charger, delivered from another state (asking for deposit, shipping included in price), looks decent

V8f  -  $800 , ~100 miles, comes with cover and charger, local pickup, looks nearly new

KS 16S - $700  ~1000 miles, no charger or cover, local pickup, looks beat to hell

Nik AR + - $1500 ~2000 miles, comes with cover, charger, seat, and CP, lots of scratches but not the worst-looking

I'm leaning towards the MSP or Nik, they seem like the best deal. Either way, I'll feel like I don't need to upgrade very soon. But I will if I get the V8f. Although, that would be a great wheel to keep and use for a light commuter/last mile solution and also to use in rain. But the Nik would kinda solve that. What should I do?

9 minutes ago, cheese_bored said:

Right now I'm contemplating getting a used wheel. So far I've found:

MSP HS - $800, ~50miles, comes with cover and charger, delivered from another state (asking for deposit, shipping included in price), looks decent

V8f  -  $800 , ~100 miles, comes with cover and charger, local pickup, looks nearly new

KS 16S - $700  ~1000 miles, no charger or cover, local pickup, looks beat to hell

Nik AR + - $1500 ~2000 miles, comes with cover, charger, seat, and CP, lots of scratches but not the worst-looking

I'm leaning towards the MSP or Nik, they seem like the best deal. Either way, I'll feel like I don't need to upgrade very soon. But I will if I get the V8f. Although, that would be a great wheel to keep and use for a light commuter/last mile solution and also to use in rain. But the Nik would kinda solve that. What should I do?

The MSP HS kinda looks too good to be true.   That isn't offerup is it?  If so, guaranteed scam.  It seems like offer up always has $800 MSPs and $900 Sherman's.  Usually they are pulling pictures from posts on other pages like Facebook or eBay. 

The Nikola AR seems interesting. That's o e wheel I've always wanted to try!

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wstuart said:

The MSP HS kinda looks too good to be true.   That isn't offerup is it?  If so, guaranteed scam.  It seems like offer up always has $800 MSPs and $900 Sherman's.  Usually they are pulling pictures from posts on other pages like Facebook or eBay. 

The Nikola AR seems interesting. That's o e wheel I've always wanted to try!

I was thinking the MSP seemed too good to be true. I contacted the admin on a facebook group "electronic unicycles for rentals and sales." If it was legit, I'd go for it but I'm worried it's a scam. The Nik seems totally legit, but I'm worried it might not have much life left in it with 2011 miles on it. Is it worth saving $1000? I think so because it comes with CP and seat. 

Edited by cheese_bored

MSP seems to good... And only 50 miles?

Nik 2000 miles. That's not really a lot.. Sure battery maybe have lost what ~1-2% of its original capacity. But otherwise if it works - it will work for many more miles.

You will be riding - you can only answers what you need.:D 

If you will be keeping this wheel, when you get something "bigger". I would go the light one. So you got option for small trips at slower speed and one for big/big speeds. 1 light, 1 heavy wheel. As i don't like wasting money and i would be keeping only 1 wheel, i would go big from start.. (Sure learning will take more time - but let's be real here 1/2 weeks max..) Buying something smaller than "NIK" after 2-4 weeks you will want something bigger. I'm sure about that. 

17 hours ago, cheese_bored said:

Dude said he got the MSP for free because the original owner had an accident (on their ebike) and gave it to him. So he said it's a giveaway price. 

Maybe in "LaLa" land that story is true/makes sense. :D      ("If" it's true - go buy it.. Nothing can beat that price.)

(I also can say anything to get your money.) My friend got that wheel for himself. And he didn't like it, so he gave it away. Oh BTW my friend is very, very rich, to him that was like giving a buck away. That's why i'm asking only 800$. "Happy Face".

Oh such a great friend. Here is my 200$ deposit. -Weeks/Months pass. Hmm where are my WHEEL!!!!. -Seller has ghosted you, like your date. 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

Dude selling the MSP HS was indeed a scammer. Almost got me, almost fully went through with the transaction but backed out at the last minute. Dude selling Nik AR + changed his mind.

I found these:

MSP HT - $1850 - 1070 miles - just comes with charger (and a free riding lesson!) - LOCAL PICKUP, most likely not a scam - some scratches but decent condition

V12 HS (Batch 1) - $1600 - 487 miles - comes with power pads, spiked pedals, new h666 tire, charger -  local pickup - condition looks good

I don't know much about Batch 1 V12s. The seller said they don't have MOSFET failures that Batch 2 has. 

Edited by cheese_bored
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cheese_bored said:

UPDATE:

Dude selling the MSP HS was indeed a scammer. Almost got me, almost fully went through with the transaction but backed out at the last minute. Dude selling Nik AR + changed his mind.

I found these:

MSP HT - $1850 - 1070 miles - just comes with charger (and a free riding lesson!) - LOCAL PICKUP, most likely not a scam - some scratches but decent condition

V12 HS (Batch 1) - $1600 - 487 miles - comes with power pads, spiked pedals, new h666 tire, charger -  local pickup - condition looks good

I don't know much about Batch 1 V12s. The seller said they don't have MOSFET failures that Batch 2 has. 

I would go V12 and wait till they fix their "software" for cutouts. :D Or ride very slowly. As you would be "learning" still and not going very fast, V12 should not get any "cutouts". And yes it's "Should".

You could also get new motherboard for V12 if seller didn't before. (Free.) In which case V12 should become "saffer". Pedals/pads/tire that's right there is 300-350$ worth.

Also V12 is very, very good wheel if it has no problems.. Doh being 16" it will perform "little" bit harsher at speeds like ~40mph. At those speed bigger wheels are better overall. (Smaller wheels will be more twitchy and unstable at speed.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

From the seller:

"This is one of the first 30 V12s from Ewheels. I don’t believe any of this batch has had the MOSFET failure like batch 2. With that being said, ewheels will be supplying a replacement board"

So if I get this wheel, I'd have to contact Ewheels and get a replacement MOSFET?

10 minutes ago, cheese_bored said:

From the seller:

"This is one of the first 30 V12s from Ewheels. I don’t believe any of this batch has had the MOSFET failure like batch 2. With that being said, ewheels will be supplying a replacement board"

So if I get this wheel, I'd have to contact Ewheels and get a replacement MOSFET?

I would definitely ask eWheels for a replacement board (not just the parts). The original had parts that were simply not designed for the task.

59 minutes ago, cheese_bored said:

From the seller:

They will "exchange" motherboard on V12 for free. (My understanding it should be free..) You will get whole "new" motherboard.

Meaning you are "almost" getting new V12. :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cheese_bored said:

From the seller:

Is the seller the original owner? I would have thought that the original owner would have been contacted by eWheels by now, if the V12 is a first batch. 

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Is the seller the original owner? I would have thought that the original owner would have been contacted by eWheels by now, if the V12 is a first batch. 

Not sure, haven't heard back from them yet. But you're right, doesn't make much sense to me which is why I'm confused. 

I did hear back from the guy selling the KS 16S for $700. It's actually got 1400 kilometers on it and it looks pretty beat-up. But I'll probably beat it up myself anyway. 292924398_5361067860638127_7726896828485

Should I just go for this or take a gamble with that V12? I'm thinking I'd maybe want to save my money and get a cheap wheel like this 16S to learn on and hone my skills, so I can buy a brand new V12 HT or RS or Nik AR+ or V13 Challenger hehe or whatever

Edited by cheese_bored
kilometers

4 hours ago, cheese_bored said:

Not sure, haven't heard back from them yet. But you're right, doesn't make much sense to me which is why I'm confused. 

I did hear back from the guy selling the KS 16S for $700. It's actually got 1400 kilometers on it and it looks pretty beat-up. But I'll probably beat it up myself anyway. 292924398_5361067860638127_7726896828485

Should I just go for this or take a gamble with that V12? I'm thinking I'd maybe want to save my money and get a cheap wheel like this 16S to learn on and hone my skills, so I can buy a brand new V12 HT or RS or Nik AR+ or V13 Challenger hehe or whatever

I have no experience with the 16S. However, looking at its exterior worries me somewhat because it could have been a dedicated learners wheel for the owner. In other words, it may not be a wheel the owner would care a lot about. It is hard to know what the inside holds. 1400 km's is not a lot for commuting, but that it is getting there for a wheel that is constantly ridden by learners. 

The V12 is slightly on the heavy side as a learner's wheel. It may be difficult to learn on.

Ultimately, it could be risky for someone new to the euc world to buy a used wheel since knowledge and experience are lacking. But still many do it. And if you are willing to take the risk ...

If you don't mind learning on a V12, I would wait for the V12 owner's reply, or look for another wheel. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

I learned on my dads 16s. All i can say after you have learned, the 22mph speed will limit you very much.. I even after 200km ridden started to go ~22-25mph mostly.

And riding 22mph on 16s would be "risky" as it's the wheel limits. Could get a cutout. As a learner wheel it would be great. Doh after 1 month you would wanna buy something bigger.. With V12 you won't need "new" wheel ever. As ~40mph is plenty. (I always recommend leaving 2-4mph top speed, for "extra" safety margin.)

Heck if you want it just for "learning", you can go buy 14d for 300-400$.. :D Buy the cheapest wheel, as you would keep that thing 1-2 months. Anything under 22mph is very slow. Because you would be riding 19mph max on that 22mph wheel.

I would simply buy "new" wheel from start and be done with it. You can always put around shower-mat or cardboard and duct tape it around the wheel - yes it will look ugly, but your wheel won't get scratched/damaged. <<< I did that with my wheel for first week. (It looked like big white "bag" because of shower-mat.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:57 PM, cheese_bored said:

I've never ridden an EUC before, but I've been obsessed ever since I got smoked by a guy on an EUC when I was burying the throttle on my scooter. Been doing lots of research and watched many reviews. Here's what I'm looking for

4. Speed - I want to be able to keep up with cars going 30-45mph, so I'll need max speed to be around that so I can use it in short bursts. Would probably cruise at 25-30mph. But will definitely take it slow my first 100 miles or so.

You’ll need at least 2,000 miles under your belt and a few bad falls off an EUC before even thinking about going faster than 30 mph. It’s almost pointless at this stage to be worrying about which of these high performance wheels you’re set on buying. Get a V8F, ride it a few months, learn to taste what kissing asphalt feels like using various parts of your body, continue riding, rinse, repeat, then come back and ask what power wheel to get next.

V12HT, Sherman Max, or V13 is the correct answer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Hmmm Interesting. You own a Master, yet you deliberately omitted it in your list. V13 has not been released yet, albeit soon, and it appears in your list. Just curious, any tidbits you wouldn't mind sharing? 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

learn to taste what kissing asphalt feels like using various parts of your body

I didn't know it's a mandatory to do that, if you're riding euc.:D Seems i have been doing it all wrong? :huh:

Also 2000 miles that quit a lot.. More like 500 maybe, at least i started hitting 25mph at 200 mileage.

But yeah some learn slower, some faster and some are simply more "brave/stupid".:D (Also need to take into mind about environment, where you are riding.. Busy big city, or "ghost" town - where every path is empty.) If you are riding in that "big city", then yeah.. It would take ~1000-2000 miles to somewhat master the euc.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:56 AM, Mango said:

You’ll need at least 2,000 miles under your belt and a few bad falls off an EUC before even thinking about going faster than 30 mph. It’s almost pointless at this stage to be worrying about which of these high performance wheels you’re set on buying. Get a V8F, ride it a few months, learn to taste what kissing asphalt feels like using various parts of your body, continue riding, rinse, repeat, then come back and ask what power wheel to get next.

I've editied my original post to reflect my new intentions.

Also, just want to say thank you to everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. As you can tell, I'm an extremely indecisive person, the type to spend months and months researching before any major purchase. And I still haven't decided what to do :confused1:

But I've realized I overestimated how much speed I need and underestimated how long it'll take me to learn to ride at high speed on the main roads. I assumed my EUC will replace my current scooter riding habits quickly after learning but I know now I won't be able to do that for a while. 

I will most likely be buying a cheap light wheel first that I can learn on. I do eventually want to have at least 2 EUCs. And this first one I'll keep for short trips, last-mile-solutions, and riding to and from my car when I park it far away.

I'll stick to sidewalks and bike lanes for the first 500-1000 miles or so. Then once I've mastered riding it, I'll buy a more expensive and more powerful wheel as a daily driver and ride it alongside cars on main roads once I've mastered that wheel. 

Right now, I'm considering a 14D, V8f, or 16S as my first. Then maybe a V12 HT, Sherman, Monster, or V13 in the future. Maybe by the time I've mastered riding EUCs, the V13 will be out and have all the kinks worked out :D

On 7/26/2022 at 9:28 PM, techyiam said:

I have no experience with the 16S. However, looking at its exterior worries me somewhat because it could have been a dedicated learners wheel for the owner. In other words, it may not be a wheel the owner would care a lot about. It is hard to know what the inside holds. 1400 km's is not a lot for commuting, but that it is getting there for a wheel that is constantly ridden by learners. 

The V12 is slightly on the heavy side as a learner's wheel. It may be difficult to learn on.

Ultimately, it could be risky for someone new to the euc world to buy a used wheel since knowledge and experience are lacking. But still many do it. And if you are willing to take the risk ...

If you don't mind learning on a V12, I would wait for the V12 owner's reply, or look for another wheel. 

On 7/27/2022 at 1:33 AM, Funky said:

I learned on my dads 16s. All i can say after you have learned, the 22mph speed will limit you very much.. I even after 200km ridden started to go ~22-25mph mostly.

And riding 22mph on 16s would be "risky" as it's the wheel limits. Could get a cutout. As a learner wheel it would be great. Doh after 1 month you would wanna buy something bigger.. With V12 you won't need "new" wheel ever. As ~40mph is plenty. (I always recommend leaving 2-4mph top speed, for "extra" safety margin.)

Heck if you want it just for "learning", you can go buy 14d for 300-400$.. :D Buy the cheapest wheel, as you would keep that thing 1-2 months. Anything under 22mph is very slow. Because you would be riding 19mph max on that 22mph wheel.

I would simply buy "new" wheel from start and be done with it. You can always put around shower-mat or cardboard and duct tape it around the wheel - yes it will look ugly, but your wheel won't get scratched/damaged. <<< I did that with my wheel for first week. (It looked like big white "bag" because of shower-mat.)

I'm not sure I want to deal with getting a used wheel anymore. I hate having to deal with sketchy people, I already got scammed once. I did find a couple legit wheels: barely used V8f for 800 and the severely used 16S for 700 but for around that price I could get a brand new 14D. But I'm not sure the 14D would be suitable for all the rough road conditions in my area. I'll stick to the sidwalks and bike lanes, but even those are messed up. I know I'll be wanting another wheel in like a month or so. But that kinda works out for me cause I'll have more money by then. But getting the 14D or even V5f would save me more money for my next wheel. 

Or I might spend the extra money to just get a brand new 16S or 16X. Just not sure I can afford it right now. But I definitely can afford a 14D right now. Could probably afford a V8f but it kinda bugs me there's no bluetooth music. I like the idea of playing music so people hear me coming and get out of the way.

16X "real" max speed is ~28mph. (At least the "safe" real speed.)

Again it has the 16" tire - meaning you will feel bumps, etc.. 14D has even smaller tire, so you will feel the bumps even more bumpy.:D

As the "learner" wheel i would not go smaller than 16", if you don't have "somewhat" smooth asphalt. (More or less will be more bumpy going over potholes, than scooter - 1 vs 2 wheels.. 1 wheel vs 2 wheels of contact on ground. Guess which will feel more unstable going over at speed.) That's why going bigger diameter wheel is better, it can simply "roll" over the imperfections on ground.

Get something you can find the cheapest with 16" wheel. Later buy something "bigger", maybe with suspension?

As you would have "learned" without suspension - you get all the good "knowledge". Later you can buy a wheel with suspension, for going faster and same time not feeling all those potholes, etc.. But because you learned on non-suspension wheel, you still know how to bend your knees/legs.

(I think this would be the best option. As you would have learned all the skills on non-suspension wheel. But later you can get something with suspension, for high speed and not feeling all the holes, etc in ground. Also suspension should help out riding at higher speed. Less chance of crashing, if you hit pothole at speed.)

At the end of day - you will be riding.. Simply get what you need. How fast/heavy/big/comfort you want..

Compare it to scooter speed/weight and you will get what you want.. If you want even more speed, you can only say how much you want. :D 

If i didn't need to carry my wheel to 3rd floor everyday 2-4 times a day. I would love to have EX20S. One of the big suspension wheels. But same time i would not wanna go faster than 30mph and i don't ride with cars, so that EX20S would be wasted on my.. I needed something "light" and something going regular bike speed. I would have bought 16s - but because of my weight, it would have been to "small" for me. So i bought next thing 18xl. Got more speed than i need, and i'm happy. (Doh i would have loved to have 18x3" tire not 18x2.5"...)

From 18x3" tires you have more options from M/C(motorcycle) tires... At 18x2.5" there simply is no options at that size.. < I didn't think about tires. Lucky i found one M/C tire, which i cut sides and it fit my 18xl. (You may think there is "small" difference in 18x2.5 vs 18x3, but it's kinda big..)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

16X and 18XL feel a bit too middle ground for me. I'd rather get 1 light small wheel and 1 big heavy fast wheel. I think if I'm gonna spend around 2K, I'd rather get an RS or something.

I'm leaning towards a 14D and selling it if the wheel size doesn't cut it for me. Or the 16S. The 16XS seems tempting but not sure about it. 

1 hour ago, cheese_bored said:

16X and 18XL feel a bit too middle ground for me. I'd rather get 1 light small wheel and 1 big heavy fast wheel. I think if I'm gonna spend around 2K, I'd rather get an RS or something.

I'm leaning towards a 14D and selling it if the wheel size doesn't cut it for me. Or the 16S. The 16XS seems tempting but not sure about it. 

I personally need only 1 wheel that's why i went with "middle" ground. Fast enough for me and light enough also.

16XS is the same 16X - only with one battery.. It literally has other side empty.:D (It's kinda bad, because if that "1" battery dies suddenly, you will fall. Because it has 1 battery DOH..)

Price difference for 16s/14d?

"Little devil voice" You know you could simply skip the "light" wheel.. If you can't hold it with one leg. You can always use shopping cart, wall, fence. - To mount the big wheel, while learning. :D 

You may "learn" max 1 week longer.. Versus buying "light" wheel. Some people learn riding in 1 hr.. Is the 1 week worth buying the light wheel?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1