Irresponsible riding

From the very moment I started riding these machines I knew I had to try my best to do it extra-safely and considerately, thereby setting an example / expectation in pedestrians and other highway users and hopefully giving them the impression that they just don't have to worry about us. In a country where the law is still 'catching up' with these machines, surely our ONLY defence / mitigation is to show that we are doing our damned best to be doing it well, safely, and considerately of other people ? 

I also fly drones (or used to !), where a few idiots who think it's hilarious to fly them at airports have mostly ruined it for everyone else too, so very keen to avoid that if we can with EUCs while the world tries to accept them, as it surely must do eventually. I can't help thinking that massive groups of EUC people racing on city streets and sidewalks are probably very intimidating to those on foot even when it's done well and rider skill is high.

I have to say, not being big on social media, I don't see many examples of people riding them recklessly and dangerously, but it certainly makes me sigh every time I do, especially when pedestrians are watching or worse, involved ! Not sure that ignoring those guys is the best way to go though - I might prefer the approach of flooding their media with critical comments from peers, hopefully giving the public the impression that we are 'self-policing' to some extent, or at least that we care...

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Cerbera said:

From the very moment I started riding these machines I knew I had to try my best to do it extra-safely and considerately, thereby setting an example / expectation in pedestrians and other highway users and hopefully giving them the impression that they just don't have to worry about us. In a country where the law is still 'catching up' with these machines, surely our ONLY defence / mitigation is to show that we are doing our damned best to be doing it well, safely, and considerately of other people ? 

I also fly drones (or used to !), where a few idiots who think it's hilarious to fly them at airports have mostly ruined it for everyone else too, so very keen to avoid that if we can with EUCs while the world tries to accept them, as it surely must do eventually. I can't help thinking that massive groups of EUC people racing on city streets and sidewalks are probably very intimidating to those on foot even when it's done well and rider skill is high.

I have to say, not being big on social media, I don't see many examples of people riding them recklessly and dangerously, but it certainly makes me sigh every time I do, especially when pedestrians are watching or worse, involved ! Not sure that ignoring those guys is the best way to go though - I might prefer the approach of flooding their media with critical comments from peers, hopefully giving the public the impression that we are 'self-policing' to some extent, or at least that we care...

CBR

I totally agree on everything, just to add you don't usually have to be subscribed to channels to comment as it "boosts" the channels. Especially I agree on the point not being quiet and I call for our senior members to stand with us.

8 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

We went round-n- round -n- round about this subject last year in this thread here :

I figured there are many, personally I just want @evX_Mick to give public comment how he sees it funny to get wheels banned in other places as he is arranging the races. I also wanted to bump the subject to remind people to contact EUC shops and report they are boycotting the companies sponsoring this type of "a display of disrespect for others, rules of the road, and lack of common courtesy" like carlW says on the other topic.

I think this should be constantly up, perhaps sticky topic and openly name & shame the people responsible of ruining the hobby to others. Like Mr. Elwood said, in Germany there is already a ban and I.E in Finland where we live one active politician with a tool such as "alleycat race" can ban the wheels pretty easily from us.

Edited by Kutvelo
  • Upvote 2