InMotion V10F - Weird Charge Issue

I have something frustrating going on. So - my V10F is no longer charging. It's at 90% charged but when I put the charger in - nothing happens any longer. No indicator light on the wheel (the battery symbol) and status on WheelLog shows that its in shutdown mode. 

The charger has 84v and the pins on the charge port are around .079v on V~ mode.

The wheel turns on perfectly fine. It's not draining fast when I ride. It has no other issues aside from this.

Are there any tips I could use? Anything I can do to narrow the issue down?

I am thinking that it's the charge port or fuse. However, how do I test that? 

Thank you!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

The charger has 84v and the pins on the charge port are around .079v on V~ mode.

You want to know the DC Voltage (V= mode), not AC Voltage (V~ mode).

The DC Voltage should be ca 84V. If not, it's the chargers fault.

26 minutes ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

That's the next step.

3 hours ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

It's at 90% charged but when I put the charger in

The percentage state of charge being reported by the wheel is "interesting" but it's not a good gauge of battery health, nor does it give very good clues as to what might be wrong.

What voltage is the app reporting before you plug the charger in?

(it does sound like the wiring between your charger port and main board is broken though)

Edited by Tawpie

1 hour ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

Okay. So I did that and the DC Voltage for the charger was 84.4

Seems that the charger is working!

1 hour ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

The Voltage for the charger port said .214 to .224

The charge port is protected, so that it cannot be short circuited. By this one cannot measure the voltage there...

Now one needs to check were the connection is broken between the charging port and the batteries/main port.

Someone experienced with V10F could help...

7 hours ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

I have something frustrating going on. So - my V10F is no longer charging. It's at 90% charged but when I put the charger in - nothing happens any longer. No indicator light on the wheel (the battery symbol) and status on WheelLog shows that its in shutdown mode. 

The wheel turns on perfectly fine. It's not draining fast when I ride. It has no other issues aside from this.

Are there any tips I could use? Anything I can do to narrow the issue down?

Thank you!

So when I had my V10f I couldn't get it to charge to 100% with the factory charger.  I bought a fast charger, (up to 5amps) from ewheels and it would charge up completely to 100%.  I don't know if this will do anything for your issue but something to try.

It is at 91 percent and remaining there. I will check the wiring! It does not charge at all now. However, the charge port seems very loose and can spin with very little effort. The pins seems a bit off. 

Before it stopped entirely - it began flickering and then if I tapped it - it would charge

Now nothing happens. However, it rides perfectly still.

So after I rode it to the store, I put it on the charger and noticed that it was flickering. I plugged the charger back in and tapped the back of the charger and it began charging. 

euc world app says voltage: 80.88; voltage sag: 80.87

Current: 0.52 amps

Power: 42.06 watts.

Any issues here? 

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

Btw - how is the history? Any strange incidents? Since when did chatging not work anymore? Does it charge once charge % are lower?

One cozld watch teardowns and check all the connectors and wires?

So..it began doing this flickering thing. Then it stopped. Today when it dropped below 90 percent, it started flickering so I tapped it a few times and it started to charge...until it hit 90%

I'm going to test it again tomorrow. If it charges only when below 90% what could that be?

Or what could it be if it starts to charge after I move the charger around and tap it? 

41 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Sure the two pin power cable is plugged in properly?

Did it stop charging at 90% or at 100%?

A spinning charge port isn't normal.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah it's very loose and I can twist it. If I push it in there and wiggle it - it will flash the indicator light. Then it'll start charging randomly.

It stopped charging this time at 90% and it stops- starts now at 90%

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

However, the charge port seems very loose and can spin with very little effort. The pins seems a bit off. 

A freely spinning port should mean there are no wires attached anymore - they'd be wound up until the tear...

Stranded wires are flexible, but at solder joints they tend to break.

4 minutes ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah it's very loose and I can twist it. If I push it in there and wiggle it - it will flash the indicator light. Then it'll start charging randomly.

So, "just" a normal loose contact. With some chance fixing the connector and redoing the wires everything could be fine!

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

A freely spinning port should mean there are no wires attached anymore - they'd be wound up until the tear...

Stranded wires are flexible, but at solder joints they tend to break.

So, "just" a normal loose contact. With some chance fixing the connector and redoing the wires everything could be fine!

I'm hoping that's it! How would I know if it's the charger or the port pins as well? I feel like if I squeeze towards the pins and push it into the port, it starts flickering. A lot of times it will start charging and then stops (mind you - it's at 92% so it very well may be stopping the charge as it does that.)

It shows the battery, flickers and then it will charge. A short while later it will terminate that charge.

Also, if I plug in and out it will do the same thing. I will get the audible sound and lights will flash a bit then it either goes off or charges.

It's basically where if I hold it correctly- it will charge. If it moves, it will terminate the charge. 

19 minutes ago, SeattleSeattleSeattle said:

I'm hoping that's it! How would I know if it's the charger or the port pins as well?

Best to fix one thing after another.

First renew/fix the wires and solder them to the connector and fix the connector so it won't wiggle or spin anymore.

Then you can try if the charger plug contacts and charger are working or have a loose contact.