EUC rider in San Francisco killed in accident with garbage truck

Hellkitten

Yes, cars would not be expecting an EUC to be on a high speed highway/freeway.

Lane splitting/filtering, travelling in a non existent lane. Weaving amongst cars in an uncontrolled/ unpredictable manner.

Just as a rider is passing alongside, a car can move sideways and hit a rider.

Blame a car driver for not checking mirrors?   Or inexperience of rider?

Edited by Paul A
Substituted 'inexperience' for 'stupidity'

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

How the hell do you ride into the back of a truck, and with a fatal outcome? I don't get it. Did the truck slam its brakes and the rider was tailgating (dispite the smell)?

Early morning, garbage workers in a rush to finish their shift, we don't know the circumstances so lets not jump to conclusions.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Upvote 1

Sadly, it looks like riding too fast is to blame here, truck was going straight not turning, most likely slowing or stopped... And sad to see an emergency nurse end up like that...

Euc is an E-BIKE and must go at E-BIKE speeds on the road... That is a max of 40 km/h... Even at that speed major damage can happen... 

18 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Top 5 Fast Fails...Lane Splitters!

Aug 20, 2016
AKedOLRL_uzEL5-RQte4-tKMuyAEYA2M6gLuTLFL

1.25M subscribers

Idiots being idiots. All as it should be. Same time opening doors - not looking back, also idiots. At the end most people are idiots. We are idiots. :cheers:

• Like 1

Yea in a high density area like SF at that time of night I would be lit up like a Christmas tree and still be riding like I'm invisible to other cars.

I feel for this guy and his loved ones and hope it wasn't him being reckless. I can only think of 2 ways this could have happened he was going straight in a bike lane or shoulder and the garbage truck was turning right without signaling or he was speeding and not following the traffic laws. If they garbage truck driver was at fault they need to make it right, the news description of the breakdown of the crash doesn't make sense.

Edited by tenofnine