EX issues.

wstuart

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Issue #1.  Occasional motor knocking noise

Here is a video by Ray Rokni that shows a knocking sound that he says is caused by "mis aligned magnets"  he is able to make the sound come and go. 

I have an identical knocking sound that forms about every third time I ride this wheel, but i can't make it go away.  I just have to let the wheel sit for a week, and then the sound won't be there for n the first 2-3 riders.   What else can I do about this?  Is this dangerous??

Issue 2:  i have play between the wheel and chassis front to back.  I can make the chassis rotate front to back a 2mm before the wheel spins.  This feels just like the play I get in my MSP HT with the axel bolt is loose - but this doesn't have an axle bolt - it's hollow!!  What could cause this??

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

Issue 2:  i have play between the wheel and chassis front to back.  I can make the chassis rotate front to back a 2mm before the wheel spins.  This feels just like the play I get in my MSP HT with the axel bolt is loose - but this doesn't have an axle bolt - it's hollow!!  What could cause this??

Could Imagine the Play is a little bit to much somewhere in the Suspension assembly 

Edited by onkeldanuel

it's not dangerous, it's caused by misaligned bearings, the root cause is the motor side cover to not hold bearings well.

it's fixable but you need to disassemble the motor and put some spacers inside, it's a workaround but i've done it multiple times and it works 

• Like 3

When my wheel makes that knocking sound, I just put the wheel on its side and shove the tire/motor up or down to "reseat" the bearing. Kinda janky way of reseating, but it has made the noise go away and it hasn't come back for months. As for the front to back play, my EX does the same thing. It's a bit annoying but other than that, it has not caused any long standing issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whalesmash said:

When my wheel makes that knocking sound, I just put the wheel on its side and shove the tire/motor up or down to "reseat" the bearing. Kinda janky way of reseating, but it has made the noise go away and it hasn't come back for months. As for the front to back play, my EX does the same thing. It's a bit annoying but other than that, it has not caused any long standing issues.

Good idea I'll try that.

I friggen love this wheel otherwise.  So stable and connected to the road.  It's my favorite wheel!

On 5/29/2022 at 6:45 AM, Whalesmash said:

So how hard do you pull and shocks on the tire?  I tried this and I just can't get the sound to stop.  I might need to take it apart and use some retaing compound on the bearing.  

I wonder if I can find new motor bearings for this wheel?

55 minutes ago, wstuart said:

So how hard do you pull and shocks on the tire?  I tried this and I just can't get the sound to stop.  I might need to take it apart and use some retaing compound on the bearing.  

I wonder if I can find new motor bearings for this wheel?

I didnt have to put any crazy amount of force on it, I just laid the wheel on its side and leaned my body weight onto the tire. Think about as much force as someone doing CPR or something like that. I do know that others have done bearing replacements, but I don't know where or what number/size a correct replacement would be.