Veteran Sherman Hal Sensor

tkattell

I have a Veteran Sherman that was released with the first batch. It has a new control board and the updated firmware. Recently, it started cutting off. It is showing a hal sensor error. I have identified the wires at the axle are cracked and wires are exposed. With the presumption that tis means the motor needs to be replaced, I am looking for some insight from anybody that has experience with replacing a motor and whether it is worth the investment. I am also looking for some insights as to whether or it Is still reasonably safe?

Thank you for your insights.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, tkattell said:

still reasonably safe?

I would fix it before riding it anymore. Losing a hall sensor means the controller doesn't know exactly where the motor is in its rotation and that means it can't control itself which means it can't keep you upright. Even for a moment, losing hall sensor input is dangerous.

• Upvote 2

I had the same thing happen with my early batch Sherman after I changed the tire. All of the wires were frayed and whenever any amount of pressure was applied to the wheel it would lose balance with a hall sensor error. I got a new motor and have not had an issue since. I guess that you can fix it, but you do not want to get those instructions from me, I have fried many MBs.

• Haha 3

Well, After much deliberation with myself and a few others, I am going to replace the motor. I think I can complete the repair safely.

I liked the idea of replacing the wires but my soldering skills are a travesty. 

Thanks all for your support. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am on my second motor in need of replacement due to hall sensor cable damage. 3 motors in less than 3k, ugh... I am going to take the damaged motors to a shop to see if I can get the cables repaired. If I can get the motors fixed then I am going to install a K262 on one, a K340a on the second one and a Pirelli Angel on the third motor.

Or maybe they will all continue to sit in a pile in the corner of my garage (most likely).

Edited by gon2fast

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I have a Veteran Sherman Max bought new, with 807 miles "E Hall" has appeared on the screen, it has only done it 2 times and luckily when it was lowered. Now I've been testing for three days and it hasn't happened again. From what you say, it could be the wires, but I don't know what wires they are. Is it necessary to open the motor to see its status? because I have read that it takes a lot of force to open it. Thanks.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(format bugfix)
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Just got the invoice for my replacement motor, $475... inflation sucks.

Ya, It put me in a hole as well, and I had to wait 5 months for them to be in stock. :angry:

Edited by 5Cauac

4 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

and I had to wait 5 months for them to be in stock

My Sherman bit the dust in the middle of June, so a similar wait as well. I guess I should not complain as I have been waiting over a year for a warranty motor for my V11 (watching the resale value tank SMFH).