Attempting to learn to ride.

Tritzzy

So I don't know if maybe I am just bad at this lmao. Or maybe it's me trying to learn on uneven terrain while free mounting as a newbie. 

But I can not seem to get on and ride for more than 5 feet after a week of trying. 

Ive done MANY handrail back and fourths, many leg control EUC exercises, putting my foot up and down on the pedal, ect. 

But when it comes to going to my yard (which in fairness is not flat at all I live on a hill pretty much) I can't seem to get on it and get going.

I have tried to turn into my falling like I've seen talked about a thousand times but every single time I do it result in a fall. 

So if anyone has further tips or training things I can do that aren't in training videos, I'm open to anything. I really want to learn because even when i'm falling i am just thinking about all fun i could have if I did learn to do it well. But it's been slightly discouraging. 

Do you have any tennis courts around that you could play in, Or borrow a shopping cart for a half hour in the back of the parking lot.

I took a shopping cart home for two months so the grandkids could learn on it.

( I stole it from the homeless camp) when I was done I returned it to the store.

1 hour ago, Big Bad Ron said:

Do you have any tennis courts around that you could play in, Or borrow a shopping cart for a half hour in the back of the parking lot.

I took a shopping cart home for two months so the grandkids could learn on it.

( I stole it from the homeless camp) when I was done I returned it to the store.

I could definitely try that for sure! One of my big issues is, I can't seem to get my foot to get onto the pedal in a good position when I'm not looking. Not sure how to practice that. 

9 minutes ago, Tritzzy said:

Not sure how to practice that.

repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition... and repeat

Worked for me! (eventually—but even then I still readjust after nearly every mount)

I learned on my own, back in 2014. I went to a business district on a weekend (no observers, no traffic, no diversions) and set up shop, intent on being successful. Back then, it was suggested to tie a strap, leash, webbing to the handle, and hold it in your crotch. It served two purposes, one was to keep the EU from getting banged up when you fell/stepped off, and second was to give you something to do with at least one hand (no flailing arms.)

It was flat pavement, and I learned to make short, wobbly, hilarious straight runs in five minutes. Then I learned slow curves, and eventually, round trips back. A few hours later I could do swooping carves a few car lengths wide.

The next day I did the same, and then ventured out to actually "go somewhere." I dumped the tether as soon as possible, once I figured out how to save the wheel in a get off.

Stand upright, and keep your eyes on the horizon. Don't look at your feet. Most importantly, don't give up. Quitters never succeed at anything...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, h00ktern said:

I learned on my own, back in 2014. I went to a business district on a weekend (no observers, no traffic, no diversions) and set up shop, intent on being successful. Back then, it was suggested to tie a strap, leash, webbing to the handle, and hold it in your crotch. It served two purposes, one was to keep the EU from getting banged up when you fell/stepped off, and second was to give you something to do with at least one hand (no flailing arms.)

It was flat pavement, and I learned to make short, wobbly, hilarious straight runs in five minutes. Then I learned slow curves, and eventually, round trips back. A few hours later I could do swooping carves a few car lengths wide.

The next day I did the same, and then ventured out to actually "go somewhere." I dumped the tether as soon as possible, once I figured out how to save the wheel in a get off.

Stand upright, and keep your eyes on the horizon. Don't look at your feet. Most importantly, don't give up. Quitters never succeed at anything...

How did you manage to naturally look only forward? Like I know it's what I should do, I am wearing protection so fear isn't much a factor. But like I can't get myself to just look forward and go, I always start with a lowered head, not exactly looking at my food, but still not forward either. 

I assume on foot position, your talking about stepping up. Place first foot perfectly, and tight against the side of the EU. When you step up, the inside of your calf will stop the eu from tilting over, therefore, about vertical. Position your other foot so you can immediately lift it as you "push off" (get the wheel rolling before your foot leaves the ground.) Find the smallest, most direct motion that will clear the pedal, and get your foot on the pedal. Start the same way, methodically, every time.

Starting should feel like, if you can imagine, a skater gracefully pushing off with their back foot. Then forget the skater analogy, and move right to getting your second foot quickly and cleanly on the pedal. Your foot position will be off at first, but the accuracy will soon follow - because you'll soon learn it is easier to get the second foot placed correctly, than to struggle with screwing up your forward motion because you need to jiggle your foot into the correct spot, lol.

8 minutes ago, h00ktern said:

Force yourself to lift your chin, and force yourself to look at the horizon, *before* you even start the wheel rotating.

I appreciate all the tips! I've been told I'm trying to learn using the harder path with trying to free mount while also learning to even ride straight. But I don't want to rely on poles and people to get me on my wheel. 

I'm slowly learning where I am a bigger guy, it's alot easier to get going with a lean and a toe push. 

Is the Begode rs 19 HT  your first wheel ever?  Its a heavy wheel.  Lots of mass to keep in balance. Some people dont mind, but others have big trouble learning on a "big" wheel.  My best advice:  Get a smaller wheel , perhaps someone you know has one you could loan?  

I think you need to break it all down in your head, like a check list. Follow that checklist right up to the point you're about to start off, then freeze. Look up, and know you have everything correct, then, do that graceful skater crap, get your foot on the pedal, look ahead, stand erect, and keep the wheel moving.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tritzzy said:

How did you manage to naturally look only forward?

Pick a fixed point far ahead of you and keep you eyes on it while riding and even when mounting. Don't think about the wheel at all. That really helped me. You can also slightly lower the tire pressure which will make it more sluggish and less responsive to small inputs (just remember to readjust it once you have riding down). Don't try to control the wheel, just let it carry you wherever it wants to go (unless it is into a street or wall, of course). I would also recommend a slightly smoother surface like a tennis court as already mentioned. I personally learned mostly on a packed dirt/gravel road.

Edited by Menace

Know that the wheel leans because you're putting more weight on that side. If the wheel leans, it wants to turn. So, amongst all the other things you're trying to keep in your head, evenly weight the pedals.

With rare exception, everyone understands their learning phase. Not that you sound it, but don't get frustrated. It is better to go step by step, and when you screw up, stop, and figure out what you did wrong, and what you will do next time it happens. It really is better to fail, figure out what went wrong, how to avoid it next time (or correct it) - all before you step back on.

Edited by h00ktern

10 minutes ago, Robse said:

Is the Begode rs 19 HT  your first wheel ever?  Its a heavy wheel.  Lots of mass to keep in balance. Some people dont mind, but others have big trouble learning on a "big" wheel.  My best advice:  Get a smaller wheel , perhaps someone you know has one you could loan?  

It is my very first wheel. Just got it last week. I only picked it because I am on a weight lose journey currently, but sadly I am too big for most littler wheels. I knew going in I would need to get a lot more leg muscles to keep it up and balanced. But I'm determined to make this work no matter how hard it is right now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, h00ktern said:

Know that the wheel leans because your putting more weight on that side. If the wheel leans, it wants to turn. So, amongst all the other things you're trying to keep in your head, evenly weight the pedals.

With rare exception, everyone understands their learning phase. Not that you sound it, but don't get frustrated. It is better to go step by step, and when you screw up, stop, and figure out what you did wrong, and what you will do next time it happens. It really is better to fail, figure out what went wrong, how to avoid it next time (or correct it) - all before you step back on.

Now would you recommend using the stock pads that come with it? I theoretically thought it might help with foot position due to almost having to be proper if there is obstruction else where. But I've also been told pads would hinder my learning and to not use them while learning. 

It can be hard if you have nobody to lean on, but it might be well worth trying on a smooth and level surface for a start. 

As has been said already, don’t look down, look at the distant horizon, and commit to getting up a little speed, by offering your hands and forearms forward like you’re carrying a tray of drinks. The alteration of the centre of gravity is usually sufficient to keep the momentum going, if you wobble don’t worry, just press with your dominant leg calf and that should make it go away, to stop, just lean back gradually well before you run out of room, slowing the wheel to a standstill, then step off!

it’s by far the easier method if you have a buddy who can act as your mobile shoulder of support, who can run alongside you for the first few goes until you ‘click’ into it, they don’t have to be a rider, only someone who can run a little, and offer you that reassuring shoulder or outstretched arm, which you will let go of once you get up to sufficient speed to make the forward motion overcome any wobbly movements. Remember to commit to a minimum forward speed, and it suddenly becomes easy. 

Edited by Freeforester

You're at the "what was I even thinking, buying this POS" stage!

That makes the upcoming victory even more sweet.

@h00ktern has it right... look where you want to go, down is not where you want to go. And you have to force yourself.

I'd also recommend keeping the daily sessions very short. 20-30 minutes at most. Sleep helps. Fatigue does not.

welcome to the party, you will love this. Guaranteed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tritzzy said:

it might help with foot position

they do help with foot positioning, that's for sure. I learned without pads and because I did I think it's a good way to go but everyone is different. Experimentation is part of this game, feel free to see if it works for you!

Just remember to ride loose and keep the knees bent. Just say NO to zombie riding.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

You're at the "what was I even thinking, buying this POS" stage!

That makes the upcoming victory even more sweet.

@h00ktern has it right... look where you want to go, down is not where you want to go. And you have to force yourself.

I'd also recommend keeping the daily sessions very short. 20-30 minutes at most. Sleep helps. Fatigue does not.

welcome to the party, you will love this. Guaranteed.

True LOL. But also I've only had one "angry self-disappointment" moment where I a grown man, stomped the ground and yelled "fuck what am I doing wrong" but other than that I am loving it. I been keeping them like 10 minutes sessions. Leave. Then come back 30-an hour later for another and so on. 

Also with the bending knees thing. I've heard conflicting things. Should I ALWAYS have bent knees, or just when I am bracing for bumps and stuff? 

Ok, with respect to crutches: I think it's ok to use them as needed, but as quickly as chose to rely on one, you need to as quickly stop using one.

You ride a wheel subconsciously (sp) - you standing on its pedals. No one uses walls to get up on one, or pushes a cart to get from A to B. Little arm floats for non-swimming kids will keep their head above water, but as soon as one delfates...

I think if you find open, flat terrain, keep your head up and body erect, you'll get it soon enough. Another tid bit is to keep some forward motion, no more than you can run out. Slow is unstable as hell in the beginning, before you next progress and realize how much you maneuver at slow speed.

• Like 1

Always in my book. Unless you know you're riding on glass. It takes strength that you'll have to build, and will stress your feet quite a bit (using new muscles). But if your knees are locked, any bump will literally bounce you off the wheel!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

Always in my book. Unless you know you're riding on glass. It takes strength that you'll have to build, and will stress your feet quite a bit (using new muscles). But if your knees are locked, any bump will literally bounce you off the wheel!

Noted! I will try to start bending always to get that habit locked down. 

While I have you guys here, I asked in another thread but I love as many opinions as possible.

What are your guys thought on a newbie putting on bigger CNC pedals? One person raised the point that I barley know how to get off as is as a beginner so putting spikes in my feet could be much worse. Thoughts on this?

Pads - baby bumper for comfort. Jump pads didn't exist in 2014, as far as I remember.

Locked knees are almost never correct in any situation, including EUs. Any slight bend, just before "locking out" is what you want while learning. As you progress, and start running over bumps, then bending your knees increases.

I say don't do any mods. All you'll do is scar up new stuff for no reason, while learning. After you learned to ride, you'll be pissed that you have dinged up kit for no reason, lol

Edited by h00ktern
  • Like 1

Haha. Order some, they take a while to arrive.

But early on, it's nice to be able to slide your foot off the pedal with zero chance of it hanging up on a spike. No spikes also makes it way easier to adjust your foot position. After you're pretty comfortable mounting and dismounting and moving your foot around, then spikes are a magical addition because there's no way your feet are sliding off the pedals. But until then, I wanted to be able to get off the wheel and safely away without getting hung up on the pedals.