Odd Grinding/Rubbing noise on new Begode Hero

Hello All,

Looking for some input from the masses here... I just got a Begode hero from Aliens Rides in the US and have absolutely been loving it, but after about 40 miles of riding I've noticed there's a weird grinding/rubbing feeling coming from the right side of the wheel. It only happens when apply force to the right hand side when turning or carving. At first I thought it may be something stuck in the fender as that used to happen with my S18, but all was clear. I took a deeper look when I got home from our group ride last night and it looks like something may be rubbing against the motor (see pic). I don't see anything sticking out near the wheel though.

If a light rider is on the wheel they have no issues, but anyone about 200 lbs was able to replicate the issue I was hearing/feeling. I've reached out to AR, but figured I'd check with the Forum and see if there may be something I may be missing. Guessing I'll be taking it apart and checking if any screw or casing is loose. At this time I've not had a single accident or fall so the wheel is still in perfect condition.

any input is appreciated!

OgygIgX.jpg

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Big Bad Ron said:

Don't know if this works for you , but when I get $hit in my wheel I turn it around and ride it backwards till whatever it is falls out. Most of the time it works.

Yeah I do that and the towel trick.

Can you get someone else to look into the wheel well while you stand on it and put pressure all on the one affected side? This might be the structure bending and touching to motor. Maybe it is also assembled unevenly (motor not in the middle)?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you get someone else to look into the wheel well while you stand on it and put pressure all on the one affected side? This might be the structure bending and touching to motor. Maybe it is also assembled unevenly (motor not in the middle)?

We tried last night, but it was already dark once I noticed it. I'll try again this afternoon. It definitely looks like its not centered. 

I have no issues opening it up, but would like some details on how its done. I worry about how many plastic clips I may break :D

Pics below, you can see the wheel is not exactly centered, but it looks the same as my buddies RS and EXN. The side profile you can see that the case is uneven. I put a few piece of frog tap on the motor where the rubbing happens in hopes it would peal or stick to where it rubs, but no luck so far. It's surely rubbing though.

5tYOZSM.png

nR5IlrI.png

D0dNIh8.jpg

2 minutes ago, enjoimangos said:

It definitely looks like its not centered.

A little bit of unevenness tends to happen often and is unproblematic. That's just the tire.

But here it looks like the pedal hanger itself is bending and rubbing the motor casing. Either this is a weakness of the Hero design itself (but I haven't heard of such complaints so far, and I would guess this is something people would notice), or a part is faulty or the assembly is maybe missing some part on one side.

Just have a good look if you can identify any cause of the unevenness, and see what the Alienrides guys say how everything should be.

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A little bit of unevenness tends to happen often and is unproblematic. That's just the tire.

But here it looks like the pedal hanger itself is bending and rubbing the motor casing. Either this is a weakness of the Hero design itself (but I haven't heard of such complaints so far, and I would guess this is something people would notice), or a part is faulty or the assembly is maybe missing some part on one side.

Just have a good look if you can identify any cause of the unevenness, and see what the Alienrides guys say how everything should be.

Yeah seems like pedal hanger now that you say that, when I turn the pedal feels like its grinding a bit. I will see what the AR guys say and let you guys know.

9 hours ago, enjoimangos said:

Hello All,

Looking for some input from the masses here... I just got a Begode hero from Aliens Rides in the US and have absolutely been loving it, but after about 40 miles of riding I've noticed there's a weird grinding/rubbing feeling coming from the right side of the wheel. It only happens when apply force to the right hand side when turning or carving. At first I thought it may be something stuck in the fender as that used to happen with my S18, but all was clear. I took a deeper look when I got home from our group ride last night and it looks like something may be rubbing against the motor (see pic). I don't see anything sticking out near the wheel though.

If a light rider is on the wheel they have no issues, but anyone about 200 lbs was able to replicate the issue I was hearing/feeling. I've reached out to AR, but figured I'd check with the Forum and see if there may be something I may be missing. Guessing I'll be taking it apart and checking if any screw or casing is loose. At this time I've not had a single accident or fall so the wheel is still in perfect condition.

any input is appreciated!

OgygIgX.jpg

This is common to every Hero I've torn down or ridden, unfortunately. It's the fact that the suspension rail on the Hero is only a single rod and this allows the pedal/battery hanger frames to twist and gouge the motor cover when bottoming out (which takes very little weight on a hero with the stock shock pump since it's basically garbage and can't get you up to 200PSI without significant effort).

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

This is common to every Hero I've torn down or ridden, unfortunately. It's the fact that the suspension rail on the Hero is only a single rod and this allows the pedal/battery hanger frames to twist and gouge the motor cover when bottoming out (which takes very little weight on a hero with the stock shock pump since it's basically garbage and can't get you up to 200PSI without significant effort).

Yeah, its all fixed now. I ended up having to remove the casing and adjust the pedal hanger via the bolt below. I have a 125mm Coil shock with 650lb spring on my Hero now and it does an awesome job on the roads, but not so great for off roading. I may look at picking up one of those S18s with the P42A batteries for my offroading wheel.

Now im trying to find the bushings for the pedal hangers suspension, I heard putting 2 in like the picture below makes a big difference on the clanking.

j8u5SX0.jpg

33 minutes ago, Big Bad Ron said:

What is the towel trick? I haven't heard of that.

ps. I hope you get your wheel fixed.

Thanks! All fixed up now, just took a few hours to take apart the first time. It won't be too painful the next time I have to open it up. Kevin at Alien Rides was extremely helpful, very glad to have given them my business.

I use a small shop towel I've cut to be smaller and wedge it between the wheel and fender, lift the wheel up while powered on and get it to pull the towel through during its rotation clearing out whatever is stuck. It works great on my S18, but may not be a good solution for all wheels.

NOTE: its dangerous to do as the towel can get stuck and cause damage to your wheel.

Edited by enjoimangos

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That can end really badly quickly if the tire gets blocked, frying the board!

Better to do this with the wheel off, rotating the tire manually.

Yeah I meant to note the risk factor of doing it that way. I've edited my last comment.