Jump to content

What does the "hide" option do in comments?


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, bkw said:

What does the "hide" option do in comments? Is it like deleting a comment, or does it just hide it from you, other people? I'm confused.

Is anything ever REALLY deleted? I am pretty sure the 'hide' feature is this forums method of 'deleting' posts from view. Basic users can't see the posting, but i have NO IDEA if the mods can still see them or not. I am pretty sure some random hacker somewhere could see them, so don't be posting national secrets :ph34r:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Is anything ever REALLY deleted? I am pretty sure the 'hide' feature is this forums method of 'deleting' posts from view. Basic users can't see the posting, but i have NO IDEA if the mods can still see them or not. I am pretty sure some random hacker somewhere could see them, so don't be posting national secrets :ph34r:

Hm. I assumed it meant that it basically deleted your post, but then I saw an option of someone else's post that said "reveal hidden comment". I clicked it and it revealed their hidden comment, which was actually a picture. I've been on forums in the past where you have to edit your entire comment with a period and then post it because it didn't give you a delete option.

Edited by bkw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bkw said:

Hm. I assumed it meant that it basically deleted your post, but then I saw an option of someone else's post that said "reveal hidden comment". I clicked it and it revealed their hidden comment. I've been on forums in the past where you have to erase your comment with a period and then post it because it didn't give you a delete option.

reveal hidden content, is a different feature. Its typically used within a post to give asnwers or spoilers. Its not the same, and 'hidden content/spoiler' CAN be viewed by others, once they click on it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

reveal hidden content, is a different feature. Its typically used within a post to give asnwers or spoilers. Its not the same, and 'hidden content' CAN be viewed by others, once they click on it.

:blink1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, it should be called "remove" or "delete". It is not a personal ignore option. Just removes the post from everyone's view (mods can restore it, so if you accidentally hide something, it can be undone).

Spoilers are something else. Use the eye icon on top of the text entry box, then you have a thing where people have to click to see what is inside.

Spoiler

Boo!

Never realized it says "hidden content", which could indeed be confused with "hide" (aka "delete this post"). Dumb wording from the forum software. I don't think the wording can be changed.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yea, it should be called "remove" or "delete". It is not a personal ignore option. Just removes the post from everyone's view (mods can restore it, so if you accidentally hide something, it can be undone).

I figured as much. Prolly why it says 'hide' and not 'delete'. Nothing is really deleted anymore is it? Kinda sucks tho, as I've gone on rants and realized it was poor form. After going back to 'hide' it, its still being read by mods at their will. I'm pretty sure other social sites do the same. Delete a comment, but its still recorded and could be used against you in the future. I heard somewhere that some sites even record the data PRIOR to you submitting it to a post. So yeah, don't type ANYTHING for even a MOMENT, if you think it could be construed negatively at a later date. What is considered tolerable today, could be considered evil or hate speech tomorrow.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@ShanesPlanetIf you really want to have all traces of a post gone, edit it first, and then hide it. No way to restore an edit. And yep, sites like Facebook do record everything as soon as you click on some text entry box (and probably your mouse movements before that). But I would be very surprised if this forum does anything like that. It can just restore stuff in case of mistake or vandalism. If you type a post but not submit it yet, it gets saved in your browser cookie so you can continue later if you closed the window. But it isn't uploaded, clearing cookies will delete all those would-be posts.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...