Garmin standalone EUC client.

8 hours ago, Blkfri said:

Ok I will update the app this evening.

I was able to install your app, however I can't make it work with my commander pro 134v, I have tried setting the voltage correction factor to 2.1, but it gives me: out of range, so I set it to 2.0, and when activating my watch shows higher than normal crazy values, and vibrates all the time, any idea of how could I set it up to make it work? Thanks

On 7/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, Blkfri said:

Ok I will update the app this evening.

Working properly now, thanks mate your app is very promising, very functional right now with my Garmin fenix 6 pro sapphire and commander pro.

• Thanks 1

Hi there, would you be able to enable this app for the Garmin Fenix 7 pro?

If it works on the 6 it should work on the 7 as well. 
Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Schmudel said:

Hi there, would you be able to enable this app for the Garmin Fenix 7 pro?

If it works on the 6 it should work on the 7 as well. 
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I will probably release a new update today or tomorrow that will be compatible with a lot of Garmin watches (including the Fenix 7 pro, I added pretty much everything that support BLE with a screen resolution ranging from 240x240 to 390x390 (round screen only)).

I also included some "riding stats" (for now only average moving speed and top Speed) in the bottom part of the screen. Theses stats are independent from the activity stats (meaning the top speed and average speed are calculated as soon as you start riding, even if you're not recording an activity).

I am open to suggestions for other riding statistics/info.

I probably managed to fix the battery sag indicator but I haven't tested it yet.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, Blkfri said:

Hi, I will probably release a new update today or tomorrow that will be compatible with a lot of Garmin watches (including the Fenix 7 pro, I added pretty much everything that support BLE with a screen resolution ranging from 240x240 to 390x390 (round screen only)).

I also included some "riding stats" (for now only average moving speed and top Speed) in the bottom part of the screen. Theses stats are independent from the activity stats (meaning the top speed and average speed are calculated as soon as you start riding, even if you're not recording an activity).

I am open to suggestions for other riding statistics/info.

I probably managed to fix the battery sag indicator but I haven't tested it yet.

Suggestion: Could it be possible to link one of the buttons to a shortcut to turn on, off, strobe? I know it is possible right now by long-pressing the mid-left button, but you have to follow several steps to proceed; not very secure while ridding

Edited by Mauricio

5 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Suggestion: Could it be possible to link one of the buttons to a shortcut to turn on, off, strobe? I know it is possible right now by long-pressing the mid-left button, but you have to follow several steps to proceed; not very secure while ridding

That's something that should be doable, I will take a look on how to deal with that as button number may vary depending on watch models. I guess something like a long press on OK button to cycle through lights mode should work fine.

• Like 1

A new version of WheelDash, the Garmin standalone app I'm developing for Begode (based) wheels, has been released. It includes the implementation of Mauricio's suggestion for controlling the lights and a fix for BLE frames detection (it should definitely fix wierd/crazy values) !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blkfri said:

A new version of WheelDash, the Garmin standalone app I'm developing for Begode (based) wheels, has been released. It includes the implementation of Mauricio's suggestion for controlling the lights and a fix for BLE frames detection (it should definitely fix wierd/crazy values) !

Hi, @Blkfri Is working properly right now! I have another suggestion: Why not add the option to autostart activity recording when opening the app? I have forgotten several times to start recording and have had to press the buttons in the middle of the ride.
Another idea could be to allow the user to set up a percentual speed alarm based on the 80% of registered cutout speed, for example:

Cutout speed (COS) = 110km/h - 68mph
80% of COS  =    88km/h - 54mph

Vibrating alarm settings example:
at 100% =  88km/h - 54mph
at  90%  =  79km/h - 49mph

Hi @Mauricio, thank you for your suggestions. Regarding the automatic activity recording/saving, I will probably add a setting option to enable this feature. It's currently quite easy to inadvertently exit the app and lose an ongoing activity.

Adding an alarm relative to (cutout) speed is already what the PWM alarm is about. The calculated PWM formula is :

PWM = speed / ((freespin cutout speed/voltage when freespin performed) * current voltage * safety margin factor.

So it's basically a ratio between your current speed and the estimated cutout speed (with a safety margin, the power factor). In the current version of the app I trigger the vibration alarm at 80% but I can add a setting to set an alarm at an user defined percentage.

Anyway your proposal of adding a user configurable speed alarm is something I should do as it would be a nice feature to add to WheelDash (that could also be used concomitantly to the PWM alert)! 

• Like 1

I have released a new update for wheelDash (v 0.1.4.5), which includes various customization features and an app settings menu in Garmin Connect IQ organized into groups. However, I may revert to a non-organized setting section if it causes too much trouble, as Garmin Connect IQ on the phone can be somewhat tricky and slow. Your settings from previous versions will probably be erased, so be sure to check all settings before going for a ride.
To ensure that your settings are properly set and saved, follow these steps: set everything at once, press save, close Garmin Connect IQ entirely (not just exit), restart it, and check if the settings are configured as you intended.

Here are the main updates:

Wheel Settings:
  • Action when OK button is pressed (previously implemented): You can now set an action for the OK button. Currently, the two options available are "cycle lights modes" or "none." If you have any suggestions for other useful actions, feel free to share them.
  • Added speed correction factor: If you know that the speed reported by your EUC is inaccurate or if you have made modifications that require speed correction, you can now use this factor to correct the displayed speed.
App UI Settings:
  • Refresh rate: You can now customize the amount of milliseconds between two screen refreshes. This determines how often the displayed values will be updated. A slower refresh rate (larger value) should result in less usage of the watch battery (confirmation needed).
Alarms Settings:
  • You can now set a PWM alarm and/or a speed alarm by defining a trigger threshold for each alarm. Setting the threshold at 0 will disable the alarm.
Activities:
  • Added automatic activity recording: The app will now start recording an activity automatically when a wheel is connected and save it upon app exit.
  • Added activity automatic save: This feature enables the activity to be saved automatically on exit (not required if automatic recording is enabled). However, you still need to manually start activity recording.
  • Even with these features enabled, you can manually start/stop the activity by going to the activity view (slide up).
Current Ride Info:
  • You can now choose the ride statistics that will be displayed in the bottom part of the screen. If you select more than one, each selected item will be displayed for 2 seconds in a loop. Currently, there are 3 stats available: average moving speed (when moving at more than 3 km/h), top speed, and watch battery usage (in %/hour). Feel free to suggest or request additional ride statistics.
Edited by Blkfri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, Blkfri said:
I have released a new update for wheelDash (v 0.1.4.5), which includes various customization features and an app settings menu in Garmin Connect IQ organized into groups. However, I may revert to a non-organized setting section if it causes too much trouble, as Garmin Connect IQ on the phone can be somewhat tricky and slow. Your settings from previous versions will probably be erased, so be sure to check all settings before going for a ride.
To ensure that your settings are properly set and saved, follow these steps: set everything at once, press save, close Garmin Connect IQ entirely (not just exit), restart it, and check if the settings are configured as you intended.

Here are the main updates:

Wheel Settings:
  • Action when OK button is pressed (previously implemented): You can now set an action for the OK button. Currently, the two options available are "cycle lights modes" or "none." If you have any suggestions for other useful actions, feel free to share them.
  • Added speed correction factor: If you know that the speed reported by your EUC is inaccurate or if you have made modifications that require speed correction, you can now use this factor to correct the displayed speed.
App UI Settings:
  • Refresh rate: You can now customize the amount of milliseconds between two screen refreshes. This determines how often the displayed values will be updated. A slower refresh rate (larger value) should result in less usage of the watch battery (confirmation needed).
Alarms Settings:
  • You can now set a PWM alarm and/or a speed alarm by defining a trigger threshold for each alarm. Setting the threshold at 0 will disable the alarm.
Activities:
  • Added automatic activity recording: The app will now start recording an activity automatically when a wheel is connected and save it upon app exit.
  • Added activity automatic save: This feature enables the activity to be saved automatically on exit (not required if automatic recording is enabled). However, you still need to manually start activity recording.
  • Even with these features enabled, you can manually start/stop the activity by going to the activity view (slide up).
Current Ride Info:
  • You can now choose the ride statistics that will be displayed in the bottom part of the screen. If you select more than one, each selected item will be displayed for 2 seconds in a loop. Currently, there are 3 stats available: average moving speed (when moving at more than 3 km/h), top speed, and watch battery usage (in %/hour). Feel free to suggest or request additional ride statistics.

I hope you could be able to develop manual selective scanning to pair another brands wheels (kingsong, Inmotion, Veteran) Maybe it will be too hard, but your app is good and, I think, has a lot of potential, and even more so now that the supposed EUC World app, which has been under development since December 2021, looks like it will never get the light at this point to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mauricio said:

I hope you could be able to develop manual selective scanning to pair another brands wheels

That's what I am currently developing. The main issue for me is debugging and testing on other EUC brands, as I don't have anyone around me who owns an EUC. I hope to eventually support all EUC brands, but there are some limitations on the Garmin side that may make it impossible. I read that Garmin watches splits or truncates BLE frames to 20 bytes (it was reported as a bug a long time ago and is not fixed yet. If it truncates, it becomes a problem because it only keeps the first 20 bytes, so you won't be able to read what's stored after the first 20 bytes.

Personally, I believe a standalone app is the way to go when you own a capable watch, such as Garmin. I prefer using my watch alone rather than starting an app on both my phone and watch, which would drain my phone battery due to GPS usage. Additionally, I think there is less lag or delay when an extra device is not involved.

I should be able to produce a test version of my app for veteran wheels, so if anyone is interested in beta testing, let me know ;).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blkfri said:

That's what I am currently developing. The main issue for me is debugging and testing on other EUC brands, as I don't have anyone around me who owns an EUC. I hope to eventually support all EUC brands, but there are some limitations on the Garmin side that may make it impossible. I read that Garmin watches splits or truncates BLE frames to 20 bytes (it was reported as a bug a long time ago and is not fixed yet. If it truncates, it becomes a problem because it only keeps the first 20 bytes, so you won't be able to read what's stored after the first 20 bytes.

Personally, I believe a standalone app is the way to go when you own a capable watch, such as Garmin. I prefer using my watch alone rather than starting an app on both my phone and watch, which would drain my phone battery due to GPS usage. Additionally, I think there is less lag or delay when an extra device is not involved.

I should be able to produce a test version of my app for veteran wheels, so if anyone is interested in beta testing, let me know ;).

I also have a S22. Gladly, I will test it.

• 1 month later...

I stumbled upon this after a long search for an app for Garmin devices. You've done such an amazing job in creating this!

I've seen that you've added support for the Epix pro in the Dev version. Is there any Chance you could add support for the Epix gen 2? This app would be a total game changer!

Edited by meepmeepmayer
text color bug fixed
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mikehit said:

I stumbled upon this after a long search for an app for Garmin devices. You've done such an amazing job in creating this!

I've seen that you've added support for the Epix pro in the Dev version. Is there any Chance you could add support for the Epix gen 2? This app would be a total game changer!

I guess you have the Epix gen2 47mm, it's the only one from the Epix gen2 lineup WheelDash doesn't support. I will update the app this evening 😉

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, Blkfri said:

I guess you have the Epix gen2 47mm, it's the only one from the Epix gen2 lineup WheelDash doesn't support. I will update the app this evening 😉

You're an absolute godsend! Thank you so, so much! If there is any way to buy you a coffee, please let me know!

• Like 3

On 9/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, mikehit said:

You're an absolute godsend! Thank you so, so much! If there is any way to buy you a coffee, please let me know!

I just set up a ko-fi page, I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here, but you can find it in the description of the app on Garmin connect IQ store 😁

Btw I need to update the description here, the app now supports Gotway/begode, Leaperkim and Kingsong wheels ! There is also a "Dev" version that includes the latest feature !

I also created a datafield version, it's not as complete compared to the app but it allows you to use Garmin navigation if your watch supports it ! Due to memory limitations of datafields it currently only works on high-end Garmin products 

Edited by Blkfri
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blkfri said:

I just set up a ko-fi page, I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here, but you can find it in the description of the app on Garmin connect IQ store 😁

Btw I need to update the description here, the app now supports Gotway/begode, Leaperkim and Kingsong wheels ! There is also a "Dev" version that includes the latest feature !

I also created a datafield version, it's not as complete compared to the app but it allows you to use Garmin navigation if your watch supports it ! Due to memory limitations of datafields it currently only works on high-end Garmin products 

Any news to incorporate Inmotion wheels?

1 hour ago, Wuocs said:

Any news to incorporate Inmotion wheels?

That's the next step, for now I'm working on fully supporting Kingsong wheels. Inmotion communication protocol is a bit more complex than other brands but I will start working on it, probably in a few weeks. I just hope Garmin BLE limitations won't be an issue !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I am currently looking for beta testers that owns a pre v11 inmotion (V5/V8/V10 and older models).

Don't get overexcited about this yet, for now it's about doing some data logging and check that the watch can properly connect to the wheel 😁.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blkfri said:

Hi there, I am currently looking for beta testers that owns a pre v11 inmotion (V5/V8/V10 and older models).

Don't get overexcited about this yet, for now it's about doing some data logging and check that the watch can properly connect to the wheel 😁.

Hi. My wheel is a V10F. How can I help with proyect?

• Like 2