Garmin standalone EUC client.

Hi all, I have been playing with NRF watches for some time, I have a standalone watch called eucWatch, but I want more(mp3 player on the watch, gps, etc)  and have no time to write everything from scratch. :)

I am looking at Garmin ciq3.1 compatible devices, they are NRF like the watches I use, and allow for direct BT connections. I can understand that they are hi priced, mainly because of their fine tuned software I think, hardware wise they are not that different from a ~50usd generic NRF Chinese watch from alliexpress. 

So, the question goes like so:

Does anyone have a Garmin watch? Are they as good as everybody says they are? Is BT signal strong? How do you feel about a Garmin compatible EUC app?

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes they're pretty good! I have a Forerunner 645 Music.
Super readable display too, strong vibration. That could probably work as standalone, but I can't speak of the reliability of the connection.

Fortunately the price went down a bit for the models capable of running Connect IQ apps.
It's still not cheap, but the HR sensor and fitness features are solid.

The Forerunner 55 for instance would be a good candidate.

I use it every time I ride actually to record a track as "cycling", which is synced to Strava. I like having a backup because EUC World dies too often.

Edited by supercurio
Forerunner 55 not 45
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, supercurio said:

The Forerunner 55 for instance would be a good candidate.

this one looks like an 1'' with no touch, I was thinking more of the ones that have a touch interface. They allow apps direct access to bt coms it seems, nordic based,  have you seen it?

For fitness purposes, hardware buttons are a lot better than anything touch, when you're sweaty, when you wear gloves etc These buttons are optimized for handling in precarious conditions and vastly superior at that.
And that might be the preference for many EUC riders as well (including myself) since I wear gloves covering my hands a good part of the year. A physical button UI would therefore be so much better than a touchscreen. It's inconvenient to interact with EUC World for me with big mittens I must remove and put back on :P.

I have a Garmin Epix gen 2. Wasn't cheap but I love it. The importance of software (like firmware) shouldn't be downplayed. When you start to record an activity it defaults to turning the touchscreen off though you can have it how you want. I find that if I have the touch screen enabled, accidental presses happen all the time so the screen is never how I left it and this is true even for walking activity. I agree, physical buttons much better.

• Like 2

The Bluetooth connection to my phone/headphones is flawless. I got it for the maps function and to be able to go running without having to take my phone with me. Obviously I track several of my euc rides with it too. 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, Seba said:

Most Garmin devices doesn't have a touch screen

Just like the pebble watchface, that has no touch screen but with buttons you change screen pages 😋

GitHub - Somnius/EucWorldPebble
https://github.com/Somnius/EucWorldPebble

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f 68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

Edited by Lefteris
added my github link to the eucworld pebble watchface i made
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Seba said:

...creating EUC World companion app for Garmin (still under development)

Hoping to see it soon! :)

Just an info, please...: will your companion allow you to continue using the Garmin watch in its main functions and in the same way, I am thinking in particular of the recording of its track?

In this regard, it may be interesting to see what the couple Locus Map (for Android smartphone) and its Locus Map for Garmin companion are capable of.

Edited by sbouju
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Seba said:

From my experience at creating EUC World companion app for Garmin (still under development), it's a promising platform for standalone EUC app. Most Garmin devices doesn't have a touch screen, so navigation is rather limited, but still many would benefit from an app running on a well-known and popular device, sporting a screen that is readable even in a full sun, offer good color pallette and great battery life.

Hi Seba,

When do you think you will have EUC World ready for Garmin watches? I'm sick and tired of the poor battery life on Samsung watches. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fonzerra said:

Hi Seba,

When do you think you will have EUC World ready for Garmin watches? I'm sick and tired of the poor battery life on Samsung watches. 

+1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, Seba said:

I hope to finally release first public version this autumn. While at the beginning of my work Garmin development looked quite straightforward, as the work progressed and the app was developed, I've experienced more and more problems. But this is normal in software development... ;) As the riding season is about to end (at least long distance riding), starting from the end of September I'll be again spending much more time on EUC World project development.

That sounds very good. I think we are many that will be glad for an Garmin version :clap3:

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 11:26 PM, Seba said:

From my experience at creating EUC World companion app for Garmin (still under development), it's a promising platform for standalone EUC app. Most Garmin devices doesn't have a touch screen, so navigation is rather limited, but still many would benefit from an app running on a well-known and popular device, sporting a screen that is readable even in a full sun, offer good color pallette and great battery life.

Hi Seba

Really look forward to this there are a few Garmin touch screens available now like the Venu 2 plus

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just finished developing a standalone application that currently only works with Begode wheels and is designed to run on a Garmin Venu. I primarily did this for personal use (it works perfectly on my Tesla V2), but I would be happy to collaborate or hand over future development to others. I started with the companion WheelLog (developed by ggoraa) for the interface, and I coded the Bluetooth communication part (greatly simplified thanks to the developers of WheelLog and Freestyl3r). I am not a professional developer, so my code may not be super elegant but for my own use it does its job pretty well 😁

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blkfri said:

I have just finished developing a standalone application that currently only works with Begode wheels and is designed to run on a Garmin Venu. I primarily did this for personal use (it works perfectly on my Tesla V2), but I would be happy to collaborate or hand over future development to others. I started with the companion WheelLog (developed by ggoraa) for the interface, and I coded the Bluetooth communication part (greatly simplified thanks to the developers of WheelLog and Freestyl3r). I am not a professional developer, so my code may not be super elegant but for my own use it does its job pretty well 😁

You should share a github repo with the project and collaborate on code.

Bill aka freestyler is out cause of a hard accident.. 😥

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 11:06 PM, Poltec said:

Hi @Seba,

I wonder if you still working on garmin app? I dont want to chase you. I just would like to know if this project is still a life :) thanks

Good news - I've expedited long-delayed work on Garmin smartwatch companion app for the EUC World. While Connect Store is still an unknown thing for me, I've finally overcame communication problems that caused the app to slowly update the wheel data. I hope to have this app available for sideloading at the end of the month, in case of any problems publishing it to Garmin Connect Store.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I have reached a version that I now use for every ride and to potentially attract other developers to the subject through increased visibility (not sure if it will work 😁), I have decided to make the app available on the Garmin store.

Just a reminder, this app is a standalone app and not a companion for WheelLog or EUC World, so it doesn't require either of them. It is completely independent (even exclusive, at least in the case I have observed: it's not possible to pair my Tesla with my watch and phone at the same time) and takes advantage of the Garmin environment for recording rides and storing data sent by the wheel (it's completely free and stored with Garmin).

The route and associated data for each ride are available on the app or the Garmin Connect portal.

The application can be found here: https://apps.garmin.com/fr-FR/apps/0f55f691-d9a2-4d9a-aec1-cc728798c86b

In the current state of development it doesn't support imperial units.

Currently supported wheels:

- All Gotway/Begode wheels (unmodified firmware, I need to look into the case of modified firmwares that report the true PWM value). That's all for now... Potential support for other brand models depending on technical limitations, available time, and involvement of third parties interested in the project.

Currently supported watches (additional models may be added depending on complexity, which can vary from simple to requiring a redesign of the interface):

- Garmin Venu

- Fenix 6 Pro, Sapphire, Pro Dual Power, Pro Solar

- Quatix 6

Data from the wheel (reported or calculated) recorded during a ride:

- Speed

- PWM (calculated, formula variables can be adjusted in the app settings via Garmin Connect)

- Voltage (multiplied by an adjustable factor in the app settings via Garmin Connect)

- Current (calculated)

- Motor Power (calculated)

- Motherboard temperature

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blkfri said:

As I have reached a version that I now use for every ride and to potentially attract other developers to the subject through increased visibility (not sure if it will work 😁), I have decided to make the app available on the Garmin store.

Just a reminder, this app is a standalone app and not a companion for WheelLog or EUC World, so it doesn't require either of them. It is completely independent (even exclusive, at least in the case I have observed: it's not possible to pair my Tesla with my watch and phone at the same time) and takes advantage of the Garmin environment for recording rides and storing data sent by the wheel (it's completely free and stored with Garmin).

The route and associated data for each ride are available on the app or the Garmin Connect portal.

The application can be found here: https://apps.garmin.com/fr-FR/apps/0f55f691-d9a2-4d9a-aec1-cc728798c86b

In the current state of development it doesn't support imperial units.

Currently supported wheels:

- All Gotway/Begode wheels (unmodified firmware, I need to look into the case of modified firmwares that report the true PWM value). That's all for now... Potential support for other brand models depending on technical limitations, available time, and involvement of third parties interested in the project.

Currently supported watches (additional models may be added depending on complexity, which can vary from simple to requiring a redesign of the interface):

- Garmin Venu

- Fenix 6 Pro, Sapphire, Pro Dual Power, Pro Solar

- Quatix 6

Data from the wheel (reported or calculated) recorded during a ride:

- Speed

- PWM (calculated, formula variables can be adjusted in the app settings via Garmin Connect)

- Voltage (multiplied by an adjustable factor in the app settings via Garmin Connect)

- Current (calculated)

- Motor Power (calculated)

- Motherboard temperature

image.thumb.png.3afa6df0936c08c84516d0a855bfe60f.png

Tried to install, but get, "not compatible with your device", I have a Fenix 6 Pro Sphire