MCM5 vs MCM5v2, insanity cured?

Sold my original due to low clearance, and it was a death trap that would just accelerate madly with the slightest input.  If I am not mistaken, the new MCM5v2 that I received today has been dialed back in the sensitivity dept.  I couldn't really find any direct comparison that talked about this aspect.  Anyone else have/had both and agree or disagree?  Maybe I have a bad memory, or maybe I am a lot better riding now.  But what I remember is having to be suuuper careful anytime I transitioned from my other wheels to the MCM5, as it was vastly more responsive.  I didn't get that explosive sensation today.

It has been reported that the original v1 had more torque,but the v2 has more speed. You can also try medium pedal mode.

There is even a difference in free spin speed as it can be seen in this video (time 32:00):

I've never tried the original myself, but after riding a monster for a few days I have a new level of appreciation for this wheel.

It really is a pocket rocket. I love it and it is the most fun wheel I've tried. Best 1000 euros spent :)

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 1

Ride both the v1 and v2 extensively as it’s my favorite wheel.

I liked the ride feel of the v1 better because it had that ‘explosive’ acceleration as you call it. To me it was just effortless and I appreciated not having to commit any substantial amount of body weight to get it going. V2 was obviously less eager to accelerate in the same manner. Don’t get me wrong; they’re both still fairly peppy wheels, but side by side the difference is clear.

the v1 top speed beeps started at 25 mph on a full charge, the v2 top speed beeps start at 27.5 mph on a full charge. So there’s a difference in software too, meaning the manufacturers knew about this difference too when releasing the wheel.

But in the end, the pedal height increase makes the v2 the better wheel. The marginal top speed increase vs slight loss in initial punch is a wash. Tire size increase is also a substantial improvement and allows for more stability at higher speed. I liked this effect so much I cut away some of the plastic shell to add a 3” wide tire. Riding just under the beeps was an exercise in trying not to get thrown off by a small pothole with the v1. Riding just under the beeps is nearly brainless with my v2. Won’t go back. 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone, yeah I really like the better clearance and slightly less torque.  I guess my only complaint about the new model is that the beeper is very quiet compared to all my other Gotway wheels.

edit: It still wanders front-to-back more than my other wheels, that hasn't changed, hah.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

I thought my MCM5 was tilted back too much, and when I parked it at the grocery store to grab something off the shelf, wow it was massively leaned back something crazy.  I calibrated that thing as soon as I got home!!!  Yeah the firmware/motor imparts a massively different feeling, it's actually shades of MTen3 now, it's great.