Sherman Max tire pressure?

goos3man

Hey guys,

So I recently got my new Sherman Max.. I’m roughly 195lbs, 5’10”… I know they’ve previously discussed running 32psi at the most on the OG Sherman /w stock knobby k262, but that was based on the v2 rim easily shattering from light impact.

Since this new v3 rim seems much more resilient, are people inclined to run higher pressure now? I feel pretty comfortable in the 35-38psi range even back on an msp. Just curious to ask what others think at this point. Post your height and weight too so we can get specific comparisons.

• Upvote 1

i personally go by feel and look of the tire. if it feels low then i should be able to feel it on the wheel, and if i intend on roughing it up a bit i just add PSI until it feels too squirrelly, then i release just enough air to where it doesn't more or less. eventually i'll get a gauge but i'll likely continue to go by feel with it anyway. i weigh around 178-180 at 5'11.

like, right now with the Max that I've only rode for about 21 miles, it feels barely on the squirrelly side where the PSI he probably OK to go off curbs, and if i lower the psi a tinge it'd likely be my ideal PSI pressure for most situations. I'm going to experiment with it when the weather stops being crap

Edited by bkw

Our tech is about 175 pounds and 5'9. We've usually stuck with the tire rating and had no issues. However, the pressure seemed to be less of a factor and more related to poor casting issues, or bad tempering on the rim to cause it to be so brittle. 

On one hand, too low and it can bend the rim and cause handling issues but too high can still damage it and can cause uneven wear also (seen damage from both cases). Any higher than 37psi and the ride has been uncomfortably bouncy: 32-35psi seems to the best middle ground. 

Hope that helps. Safe riding

Edit: I also came across this post from a while back; should still have some relevancy 

Edited by Lesleigh Gonzales
  • Upvote 1

I’m 6’ 0” / 185lbs and have been running 40 psi on my Sherman max. It felt pretty bouncy at first but I got used to it pretty quick and have even managed to hit a few surprise potholes at speeds over 30mph without much drama. Would a lower pressure have been a bit more comfortable? Probably. But I’m also still a bit paranoid of risking rim damage at lower pressures.

Here’s the email I got from ewheels after buying the Sherman max:

It is important to maintain adequate tire pressure; at a minimum, the tire should be inflated to >35psi, adding more pressure to account for higher ride weight. If the pressure is insufficient, this can result in the rim being damaged by contact with the ground—this is an expensive & time consuming operation to replace.”

Edited by littlebigmac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks so much for the quick feedback guys, I’ll take all your advice into consideration. Currently on 35psi, and it feels pretty nimble enough. You can definitely feel the torque, and it’s enough to catch you off guard especially when I have to make sharper turns. However, I’m still getting used to the differences of the knobby texture in general(coming from the stock msp tire). I’m gradually getting used to it, but I just need to get more riding time in this upcoming week. So far overall, I’m definitely loving the Sherman Max; just feeling a bit more timid than hoped to be. Time/experience should go a long way.

Edited by goos3man

Last night I was doing food deliveries on the Max and felt the pressure was very low so I pulled over and put about 24-25 PSI in the tire. This felt OK for me but it probably could take more PSI. This is my first time gauging the PSI so I'm not entirely sure. I'm 5'11 178-180lbs. After reading these comments, I see my pressure might be too low but right now I'm going by feel. I don't even want to say what the PSI was at when it felt too low to me lol. That can be a costly mistake, for sure, so I'll be more mindful. I'll test out higher PSIs soon so I don't end up paying a fortune for dented rim.

Also, I'm beginning to understand when people always talk about how it feels like there is a sharp dipping point that happens when you lean the wheel to a certain degree. It seems more noticeable with higher PSI, but when you look at the tire the tread is higher down the middle than on the sides, as most of you know likely know already (knobby Kenda tire). Does this sharp dip feel happen with the street tire since it is rounded evenly on the Sherman?

Edited by bkw

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The last time I measured the pressure on a tire that had been pumped “by feel”, it was at 15 psi. A feel is non-standardized and varies wildly, it can be risky to go by feel alone.

The rated pressure for the tire can be even more dangerous, especially without suspension. Chooch put the rated 40 something on his brand new V12 HT, and crashed at maximum speed on the first ride because the wheel bounced up in the air instead of doing what the tire is there for, to soak up the imperfections of the road.

I weigh 230 lbs + gear and I use 26-30 psi on the Sherman tire (on other wheels). A lot of technical off-roading, as little smooth pavement as possible. Equivalent pressures on other tires. Zero rim damage in 20000 miles.

No, the dip is a trade mark of knobby tires on an EUC. Exact reason hasn’t been confirmed, but it is most probably due to how the malleable knobs provide less camber effect.

Thanks for the PSi feedback on the Sherman. I couldn't imagine riding it on 40 PSI.

I might just buy the street tire for the Sherman because I don't do off-roading and there really isn't "mud" in the city like more rural areas. I'd rather deal with even turning than sharp tilts while in the city

Edited by bkw
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have original V2 kenda knobby and use 24-28 PSI for best range confort/nimbleness. Weight over 260lbs 120+kg i not jumps or do any curb things.

with or without DIY seat. Normaly i go to 28 PSI and slowly leak (in 3months) to +-24PSI 

No rim DMG yet.

Lately before I start doing deliveries I pump up the psi on the Max roughly 32 PSI and i find that to be fine for me as well. 28 PSI is good too. I'm still experimenting. I wonder how much the tire being worn has an affect on stability? I've heard new tire tread is probably more sensitive than worn tire tread

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stock Kenda knobby tire at 29 PSI.

I"m 5'11", my riding weight with full kit and backpack 250lbs.

* I tried 33 PSI today on my commute to work at the same riding weight.  There is a big difference in how the wheel feels/handles while carving over rougher roads at 37-40 mph.  It's much more twitchy and the mini rebounds don't feel as stable.  I'm going back to 29-30 PSI again.  That seems to be the sweet spot for how I ride on the roads I travel at those speeds.  

Edited by Xodarap1
update
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 9:49 PM, Xodarap1 said:

* I tried 33 PSI today on my commute to work at the same riding weight.  There is a big difference in how the wheel feels/handles while carving over rougher roads at 37-40 mph.  It's much more twitchy and the mini rebounds don't feel as stable.  I'm going back to 29-30 PSI again.  That seems to be the sweet spot for how I ride on the roads I travel at those speeds. 

I'm finding this to be the case for me as well. High 20s seems more and more ideal as time goes on @ ~180lbs

Edited by bkw
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got a verran shurman max  32psi 6 "0" 140 any potholes make me bounce insanely but pretty fun still have had it for 2 weeks put 367 miles in it no power pads crashed at 40ish 1/2 my left butt is road rash highly recommend but pads along with everything else wrist guards helmet padded jacket and knee pads i only ever where rist pads and i fully regret it now with a 5 x 5 inch hole in my butt cheek 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I've got maybe two hours or so of learning under my belt and decided to up my psi to 40 yesterday before tackling 8-1o miles, my longest run so far. Its already one hell of a starter wheel but @ 40psi, there's not much more of a difficulty I suppose I could have amped up my learning curb to.

I succeeded in making the quick trip while clearly gaining more confidence. However, I think I may knock it down to 35psi for todays run and see how that feels. By the sounds of the forums, it'll probably feel a bit more stable.. of which I would probably enjoy moreover. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1