Accidently connected 4pin charger upside down. Dead?

dudenas

The design flaw allowed me to push 126V 1.5A charger upside down deep enough, that it sparked and the indicator does not light up anymore. It was stock mcm5 charger. Is it dead completely, or can I still revive it?

Bb3Eivg.jpg

rXnJHQj.jpg

The two sides are glued together and are further held by four screws hidden under the four rubber pads in each corner.
Even if it is a GW product , there should be a fuse fitted - probably a glass type 1.5 or 2 amps. This can be replaced with
the help of a soldering iron - all provided that you can open the box.
  • Like 1

In spite of the "no serviceable parts inside" warning, you can cut the plastic case off. You might find a fuse, or you might find that it is really and truly gone for good. Then you'll need to find a way to get something back around it to keep someone from touching something and getting shocked because the existing case will get pretty destroyed during removal.

I'd just get another charger.

• Haha 1

The bottom of the charger says 84 VDC @ 1.5 A, 126 W. Am I missing something? 

The stock charger that came with my Begode T3  has the same specs, and looks basically identical. 

When I checked my charger output connector pinout, the other two pins are not connected. Hence, if you plug in the connector 180  degrees, nothing should happen. But if you plug in the connector with a 90 degrees rotation,  it can short.

Regardless, you got a spark, most likely it is fried, unless it was fused. But if you are handy with this sort of thing, what do have to lose if you were to open it up and check.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

EZ to open and inspect, just 4 screws hidden under the rubber feet.
But I think you'll need to dig into the charger further to find the damaged component (hopefully, a fuse).

No harm in tearing it down since it's broken already. Let us know what you find!

AM-JKLXaJe7LZUsCRVsjTfVIf2mwTU21lXnpiYdJ

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Upvote 1

Just be careful when poking around in there, the green cans are capacitors that might have some energy left in them. You can let it sit for a "while" and they'll self discharge, but even then they might surprise you. How long is a "while"? They're not high quality caps so they'll lose their charge fairly quickly... if it were me I'd wait at least a day or two, but then I'd still be quite careful. A week... you're probably just fine. Unless you're unlucky.

• Upvote 1