Can't remove pedal rod from King Song 16X and faceplate broke off? - Video Attached

LightWave

I looked thought the forums and found some solutions but nothing seems to work so far. A couple questions bellow:

1. How do you reattach the face plate back to the pedal?

2. Has anyone had luck with heating up the pedal with a heat gun or blow torch?

3. Everyone seems to believe "Liquid Wrench" is the best penetrating oil but is a better option available?

Edited by ElectronxCycles
Fixed typo

• LightWave changed the title to Can't remove pedal rod from King Song 16X and faceplate broke off? - Video Attached

I would spray PB Blaster penetrating oil on it from both ends and let it soak for a day or two. But you should be respraying from time to time. And fold the pedal up and down in order to get the PB Blaster penetrate further over the rod.

I highly discourage using a flame on aluminum alloy (pedal). A heat gun should be fine. However, with PB Blaster, there's a fair chance you can free the rod without using heat.

• Like 2

Let's see, did you crash? If you did, and it was just the wrong kind of crash, or it was a really big crash you might have bent the pedal rod in which case heat isn't going to help. You're looking at either pounding it out with a hammer or cutting the hanger off with an angle grinder.

If you didn't crash, then penetrating oil and (maybe) a heat gun as @techyiam suggests is your best bet. The pedal rod sits pretty loosely in the 16X, it usually takes a light tap with a hammer to get it out.

It only comes out one way... exits the same end as the grub screw.

The insert is easier—use your heat gun to warm the grip tape and it'll come right off. There are 4 screws underneath the grip tape.

BTW, in your video—you're being too gentle. Use an old trash screwdriver, don some eye protection and gloves, and whack it HARD with a big hammer. Assuming the rod is bent, you have to drive the bend through the pedal hanger. If you've been doing a lot of rain riding, the pedal rod might be rusted in (the grub screw's reluctance to turn is a clue)... let that penetrating oil do its thing and then use a bigger hammer.

The screw holes on your pedal insert are shot. You need new inserts. You could use a washer if you don't mind the bumps under your grip tape.

When you do get the pedal rod out, I suggest replacing it with a Ti one—much more difficult to bend than the steel one that's in there. And it won't rust. Put anti-seize compound on the grub screw too.

Edited by Tawpie

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Am wondering why the desire to remove pedal rod...

I need to open the machine up so I can change the tire. Tire is kinda ok for now, I mean it works lol but hope I can get the job done in time for summer

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

I would spray PB Blaster penetrating oil on it from both ends and let it soak for a day or two.

Does it work better then Liquid Wrench? I'll pick some up today and update! Thank you

10 minutes ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Does it work better then Liquid Wrench? I'll pick some up today and update! Thank you

In the past, PB Blaster was indeed better than Liquid Wrench. However, in recent times, it is possible that Liquid wrench has bought out PB Blaster.

If the label on your can of Liquid Wrench does not make a reference to PB Blaster, I would definitely try out PB Blaster. It is around $10 at Cananadian Tire. I believe the Canadian Tire on SW Marine drive was out of stock, but the one on Cambie has stock. You may want to check online for stock first.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

If the label on your can of Liquid Wrench does not make a reference to PB Blaster, I would definitely try out PB Blaster. It is around $10 at Cananadian Tire. I believe the Canadian Tire on SW Marine drive was out of stock, but the one on Cambie has stock. You may want to check online for stock first.

Thank you I usually go to the CT on Cambie / Broadway -City Hall :D

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

replacing it with a Ti

I'm not sure, what is a Ti rod? Come to think of it I think I should just get some new pedals as well! That way if we have to break or cut the thing right off I'll wont be without my favourite wheel for too long

1 hour ago, ElectronxCycles said:

I'm not sure, what is a Ti rod? Come to think of it I think I should just get some new pedals as well! That way if we have to break or cut the thing right off I'll wont be without my favourite wheel for too long

Titanium pedal rod. Just a titanium rod of the correct diameter cut to the proper length. I got my set on fleabay for about 20USD.

Since I don’t think you can get the pedal inserts as standalone parts, it’s either washers (call them—low spikes!) or new pedals. You could just goober them back on with loads of epoxy too. They’re not terribly structural. I’d hate to have one come loose while riding though.

1 hour ago, ElectronxCycles said:

Trying all kinds of thing to get this pedal off with no luck!

When you fold the stuck pedal up and down, does the shaft rotate inside the hanger, or does the shaft rotate inside the pedal?

I had this exact problem last year with my 16x. Took the pedals off to clean the insides of the machine then rode it for a few more months before needing to change the tyre. Then couldn't get the pedal rod out. Took me weeks of grease, rust dissolver, pounding with a mallet & punch. I think I eventually tired it out & wore down its resolve. It moved mm by mm every week until it eventually came out. No special tricks, just endurance & patience.

And it was bent. No crashes that I know of during the time between the previous successful attempt & this very difficult attempt. It was definitely the bending of the rod that made it difficult to remove.

Replaced with new rods during the tyre replacement.

Edited by bcarp

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update everyone that tried to help me remove the seized pedal on the 16X. Bad new is it's still seized in and after all the banging on the pedals the wheel motor has been damaged or is not as smooth anymore. I can't really notice this at faster speeds but more at slower speeds and I have to say it makes me pretty upset but I'm glad it still runs. I'm not sure how much life she has left but its not looking good for this 16X right now....

Edited by ElectronxCycles
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, goatman said:

do you want to sell it ?

I was thinking about it yeah. if you end up in Vancouver someday you can take a look at it and see if its worth it! I wonder if calibrating it would help?