Curious about the sound of the wheel in standstill

Robse

Have you noticed it, the sound that comes from your wheel as soon as it is turned on, but not in use (standstill)

On my KS 16X it sounds like a faint thunder in the distance. It rumbles and there is a slight vibration to be felt if you touch the wheel. It is a very weak sound level, and you hear it best if you put your ear to the wheel. Where does this sound come from - and how does your wheel sound at a standstill?

• Like 1

ALL mine do this to a varying degree. I'm sure there's a technical reason for it, but I eventually chalk it up to the gremlins that crunch the numbers. The numbers have to be known, or the hampster will forget how fast to run. Some wheels seem to have a newer adding machine and its not as loud. For some reason, the gremlins in my sherman, seem to keep finding potato chips to snack on. Oh well, as long as they keep up the work, I dont mind.:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Some wheels seem to have a newer adding machine and its not as loud.

It depends on whether they use wooden or delrin beads in the bead calculator. Totally different sound!

• Like 1

Yeah the non-joke answer it's just the noise the motor makes, not sure what causes it. I know the 18XL used to be extremely loud but through an old firmware update it became much much quieter, so the firmware controlling it does make a difference to the audible sound

I have "very" sensitive ears. (Heck i hear my pc fans running at 500rpm.. Can't wait RTX4000 series, will build so quiet system.)

I can hear coil wine little bit on mine 18xl when it simply standing. And if it's resting against something, it rumbles little bit.