How I Clean My Pedals (Griptape)

gon2fast

I only ever "cleaned" the grip tape on the pedals once. All I did was take a very wet sponge and dab or press it. I did not move it side to side at all. I only wanted to achieve lifting of whatever would come off. The grip tape does not need to look pristine, it just has to keep griping and it is doing that just fine after 3,300 miles of use.

BTW, are those custom made power pads on your wheel? I like those, they look pretty low key but still effective.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

The grip tape does not need to look pristine, it just has to keep griping and it is doing that just fine after 3,300 miles of use.

Very true. I tend to do this as part of my regular wheel maintenance or, like in this case, if I end up in the mud and have grip issues after. I also swapped out the outer shell hardware and re-did my wonky RTV weather sealing. 

The pads are made from a set of surfboard traction pads. I am not a fan of having the movement of my legs constricted while riding, but needed something to add a little leverage on steep climbs so I made little hooks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJLSWDX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.jpg

• Like 1

Or you could simply upgrade to honeycomb pedals. With pedal studs. :whistling:  Mud/Snow would fall true.

And if you don't want to spend $$$. Simply remove grip tape. Open the pedals, screw some regular 3-4mm stainless steel screws with nuts true plastic.. Much better grip and no problem losing grip because of mud/snow. < My dad did that to his wheel. :D

Or if the pedals don't open, simple roofing screws true top of pedal.

One time fix and forget about it. I got my self hextech pedals, in my eyes worth the upgrade.

Then again some people like to clean their wheel time to time. Nothing wrong with that. <3